Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

post #1621 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
All very good points. I won't buy a product until I know the true specs like what brand model processor is used etc. Claiming three times faster than any other streamer is not really a selling point to me as the Roku 3 is already fast enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

I won't buy a product until I know the true specs like what brand model processor is used etc. Claiming three times faster than any other streamer is not really a selling point to me as the Roku 3 is already fast enough.

It's using almost identical hardware to the Fire HDX tablet.

Fire TV:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
  • Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
  • GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
  • Storage 8 GB internal
  • Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

I'm wondering if Amazon will cease developing/updating their Roku channel app now.
post #1623 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Already ordered the Fire. Will run my usual tests and I will let you know how it works out.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #1624 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

It's using almost identical hardware to the Fire HDX tablet.

Fire TV:
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 8064
  • Processor Qualcomm Krait 300, quad-core to 1.7 Ghz
  • GPU Qualcomm Adreno 320
  • Storage 8 GB internal
  • Memory 2 GB LPDDR2 @ 533 MHZ

I'm wondering if Amazon will cease developing/updating their Roku channel app now.
So its really tablet hardware without a screen and with dedicated video/audio outputs. I guess that means it will only be as good as the firmware that runs it. I already do not like it as it sounds like a device that will have locked down apps and politics dictating what will and will not be developed for it.

I bet the Roku 4 will be much better in the way of app support. Not to mention the next Apple product might completely revolutionize online streaming. I guess well see.... Much to early to be buying this product imo. I want to see what Apple and Roku does next.
post #1625 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

So its really tablet hardware without a screen and with dedicated video/audio outputs. I guess that means it will only be as good as the firmware that runs it. I already do not like it as it sounds like a device that will have locked down apps and politics dictating what will and will not be developed for it.

Supposed to be an "open" device. Only time will tell. It looks awesome though. The GUI experience if it's as shown in the demo videos is going to be SICK. Many review sites that had a hands-on with it say it's very very good. Can't wait to get it in my hands and play around with it. Biggest factor will be that Plex runs like DOO-DOO on the Roku. If it's as flawless on the Fire TV as the creator of Plex says it will pay for its price.
SkOrPn likes this.
post #1626 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 01:38 PM

Liked: 14
FIRE:
'blutooth remote' ,so much for my logitech harmony frown.gif
post #1627 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinDanville View Post

It doesn't have HBOGo.

Amazon Fire TV also doesn't have the one I used most of all --- Vudu. I would never buy this without Vudu. rolleyes.gif

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1628 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

Supposed to be an "open" device. Only time will tell. It looks awesome though. The GUI experience if it's as shown in the demo videos is going to be SICK. Many review sites that had a hands-on with it say it's very very good. Can't wait to get it in my hands and play around with it. Biggest factor will be that Plex runs like DOO-DOO on the Roku. If it's as flawless on the Fire TV as the creator of Plex says it will pay for its price.

I just finished several hours of reading up on this device and watching all the youtube videos that our pouring in every few minutes. I must say, it is very intriguing. The hardware is better than I expected, but like all things initial release will have problems that will not be seen until users like us get our hands on it, lol. The UI looks a lot like something cooked up from the Plex camp, and at 1.7 ghz this device could possibly handle 4K content. Damnit, now I am thinking about getting it. However, I will wait until someone here gets it and tests the Plex and Netflix operation. If its a full blown Android OS underneath, there will probably be Network settings as deep as allowing your own choice of DNS and VPN services set directly within this box. If that's the case, and Plex works really nice, its a done deal.

I just hope they have a deal for Prime start up from within the box that is something like 50% off for the first year, that would be sweet....
post #1629 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Amazon Fire TV also doesn't have the one I used most of all --- Vudu. I would never buy this without Vudu. rolleyes.gif

The Fire TV has Flixster.. can't you use that to watch the VUDU content? (I don't personally use it but that's what I've read)
Quote:

I just finished several hours of reading up on this device and watching all the youtube videos that our pouring in every few minutes. I must say, it is very intriguing. The hardware is better than I expected, but like all things initial release will have problems that will not be seen until users like us get our hands on it, lol. The UI looks a lot like something cooked up from the Plex camp, and at 1.7 ghz this device could possibly handle 4K content. Damnit, now I am thinking about getting it. However, I will wait until someone here gets it and tests the Plex and Netflix operation. If its a full blown Android OS underneath, there will probably be Network settings as deep as allowing your own choice of DNS and VPN services set directly within this box. If that's the case, and Plex works really nice, its a done deal.

I just hope they have a deal for Prime start up from within the box that is something like 50% off for the first year, that would be sweet....

Nobody can blame you for waiting. A lot of stuff seems good on paper and when you get it, it's truly awful. Luckily Amazon has a really good and easy return policy. They aren't going to force people who hate the device to keep it and write terrible comments about it. They will bend over backwards to make sure you're satisfied.
post #1630 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Quote:

Plex runs just fine on the roku. I run at full 20mbps without issue. Direct plays my rips fine. If you're having issues it's likely your server or network. The fire tv won't change that at all as it still relies on a plex media server.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
SkOrPn likes this.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1631 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Plex runs just fine on the roku. I run at full 20mbps without issue. Direct plays my rips fine. If you're having issues it's likely your server or network. The fire tv won't change that at all as it still relies on a plex media server.

I use Plex on Raspberry Pi, Samsung, etc.

It plays fine but the Roku Plex App is far from good. If you like it you are one of the few from what I've seen in various threads about it. The Plex client apps are all different depending on the device and I just don't like the Roku version myself. The Roku overall isn't bad don't get me wrong... I just think the Fire TV will be leaps better. The verdict is still out.
post #1632 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

The Fire TV has Flixster.. can't you use that to watch the VUDU content? (I don't personally use it but that's what I've read)
Nobody can blame you for waiting. A lot of stuff seems good on paper and when you get it, it's truly awful. Luckily Amazon has a really good and easy return policy. They aren't going to force people who hate the device to keep it and write terrible comments about it. They will bend over backwards to make sure you're satisfied.

Only those that are UV can be watched on Flixster, but I have quite a bit more that are not UV on Vudu.

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #1633 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Isn't Vudu streaming quality with hdx and dd+ a good bit better than what get off Flixster as well? I've not used it much.
post #1634 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Regarding the Roku UV client apps:

VUDU > Flixster > Target Ticket

Flixster is fine on tablets. On Roku it's nowhere close to VUDU, in streaming quality, reliability and UI. And Target Ticket is just awful. You may be able to watch the same title on all three UV portals- but they're not always the same *file* across all three. (one of my UV titles is 4:3 pillarbox on one portal, and 16:9 widescreen on the other)
post #1635 of 2211 Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

I do not believe we are having any issues with the Plex client on the Roku 3, but I have not asked the owner of that device for a while now. He usually complains when something isn't working. I still need something for myself by summer time though because running my computer into the summer is just far too much heat for me in this small bedroom. Until then I have my eye on a Roku 3, unless something else captures my attention.
post #1636 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

And with all of the power this box is boasting, why can't we get a streamer that does 24p? Why are streamers ignoring this?

The Oppo 103 and 105 will stream at 24 fps if you want, but I'm not sure that any streamingn services are sending 24 fps signals.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1637 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

The Oppo 103 and 105 will stream at 24 fps if you want, but I'm not sure that any streamingn services are sending 24 fps signals.

?

The built in Netflix and VUDU clients on the Oppo only support 1080p/60.
post #1638 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Regarding the Roku UV client apps:

VUDU > Flixster > Target Ticket

Flixster is fine on tablets. On Roku it's nowhere close to VUDU, in streaming quality, reliability and UI. And Target Ticket is just awful. You may be able to watch the same title on all three UV portals- but they're not always the same *file* across all three. (one of my UV titles is 4:3 pillarbox on one portal, and 16:9 widescreen on the other)

You forgot to mention M-Go as we'll.
post #1639 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

?

The built in Netflix and VUDU clients on the Oppo only support 1080p/60.

But do those services even transmit at 24 fps

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1640 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:

They all should be. It would use too much bandwidth to send in 60P. For instance the VUDU content is sent in 480P24, 720P24, and 1080P24. Maybe 30 if it's video. But to send in 60P would use too much bandwidth and is not needed since movie content is 24fps. The streaming device takes that content and sends it out at 60fps.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1641 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But do those services even transmit at 24 fps

It's got nothing to do with "transmission"

amazon, vudu and netflix film based content is all encoded in 24p

As an example, the Tivo amazon and Netflix clients allows that content to be watched in 24p

Samsung also supports 24p viewing with many services on certain devices.
post #1642 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Quote:

Pretty much all of them are. When they get 24p sources from their content providers it's the easiest thing to do and all of the streaming devices can convert to 60p for output.

Almost all Netflix content is provided at 24p, with some older videotaped TV at 30p and British TV at 25p. If you want to determine what the framerate of a Netflix title is, play it in a Windows website player, click the video to give it keyboard focus and, without blowing it up fullscreen, type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D. That will bring up an overlay of debugging information; the framerate can be read from a line labelled "Video Frames (rendered/dropped)".
pbarach likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1643 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

If you want to determine what the framerate of a Netflix title is, play it in a Windows website player, click the video to give it keyboard focus and, without blowing it up fullscreen, type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-D. That will bring up an overlay of debugging information; the framerate can be read from a line labelled "Video Frames (rendered/dropped)".

Does that in fact tell you the actual frame rate, or is it just reading the file's metadata (something I've often found to be incorrect)?

I downloaded a video last week, for example, that claimed an 80:1 aspect ratio in the codec's metadata. VLC played it fine at 16:9, but everything else rendered it as a thin horizontal line.
post #1644 of 2211 Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post

Does that in fact tell you the actual frame rate, or is it just reading the file's metadata (something I've often found to be incorrect)?

As implied by the label, it's a realtime display of how many frames were rendered by the player in the past second; ever so often you'll see it render one more or one less frame in a second, but I think that we can be sure that the almost constant number it displays in that field from second to second is the frame rate of the video encode. Look at it while playing Black Hawk Down (chosen at random--nearly anything will do) and you'll see 24 fps; play an episode of Torchwood and it will read 25 fps; play an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show and you'll see it read 30 fps (some ancient shot-to-film television is encoded at 24 fps, like the 55 y/o The Twilight Zone (Original Series)).

post #1645 of 2211 Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

I don't understand Amazon's product listing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CX5P8FC

"Certified Dolby Digital Plus surround sound"? Both the Roku and Chromecast can pass Dolby Digital+, so what's the big deal? Why don't they have checkmarks in the grid for that? Also, Amazon states, "With Dolby Digital Plus up to 7.1, enjoy rich, cinematic surround sound via HDMI or optical out.". I was under the impression that a S/PDIF optical connection can only carry Dolby Digital, not Dolby Digital+.

And with all of the power this box is boasting, why can't we get a streamer that does 24p? Why are streamers ignoring this?
The difference is the FireTV is Dolby certified, the Roku and Chromecast are not, they can only pass DD or DD+. Most likely the FireTV will have an option to decode these internally and output 5.1/7.1 PCM via HDMI or convert DD+ to DD to pass through optical.
post #1646 of 2211 Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If it's outputting DD+ out of S/PDIF as surround, then it's converting it into basic DD 5.1, which requires licensing Dolby tech, which Roku doesn't (I have no idea about Chromecast).

post #1647 of 2211 Old 04-04-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Dolby Digital Plus only works over HDMI with any device.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #1648 of 2211 Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Dolby Digital Plus only works over HDMI with any device.

It can be converted to basic DD with a computationally lightweight algorithm but I'm sure that use of that algorithm is license restricted. Most any BDP will convert Netflix's DD+ to basic DD for output over S/PDIF; all of them have to license Dolby and DTS tech for BD playback.

My launch model PS3 has always converted Netflix's DD+ audio to basic DD for output over HDMI or S/PDIF (definitely losing some "pop" in the translation). I believe that the first Slim models added the ability to bitstream DD+ over HDMI.

post #1649 of 2211 Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It can be converted to basic DD with a computationally lightweight algorithm but I'm sure that use of that algorithm is license restricted. Most any BDP will convert Netflix's DD+ to basic DD for output over S/PDIF; all of them have to license Dolby and DTS tech for BD playback.

My launch model PS3 has always converted Netflix's DD+ audio to basic DD for output over HDMI or S/PDIF (definitely losing some "pop" in the translation). I believe that the first Slim models added the ability to bitstream DD+ over HDMI.
I thought what you posted was common knowledge, I was just pointing out that you can't get DD+ as DD+ over an optical cable.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #1650 of 2211 Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anybody know if there's a private channel for Filmon for the Roku 3?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page