Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb89 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

All past seasons of Game of Thrones are on the Time Warner HBO On Demand channel (accessed with your cable box) for a few more days. No need for a streaming device
Really? i need to figure out how to access the hbo on demand.

If you can register HBO Go with Time Warner, I believe that every episode of every season of every HBO series ever is available through it.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2105 Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb89 View Post

Really? i need to figure out how to access the hbo on demand.

See michaelscott's reply above; if he's wrong, then you can find the HBO HD On Demand channel among the channels on your TWC cable box.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #1713 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

It's not the roku. It's either your settings or your rips. My play flawlessly.

I find the mistake people make is on the roku plex client they set the bitrate too low. If you set the bitrate below the actual bitrate of the rip then your server will have to transcode and if it's not powerful enough it can't do it without issues.

Set the bitrate at max which is 20mbps and on a wired connection the roku will play it with no transcoding at all. Assuming your rips are good and the bitrate of the video is below 20mbps.

If you don't re-encode your rips then they are likely over that plex limitation of 20mbps and your server is transcoding and that's where your issue lies. The only solution there is a faster CPU in your server, re-encode the video or plex on a device that doesn't have that 20mbps bitrate cap.

I think this is my problem. I'm using a roku 3, and my mkvs are all in the ~30 mbps bitrate range (higher than the roku 3's max of 20 mbps).

I have been getting a very slight stutter when playing my mkvs on my roku 3. The stuttering is almost imperceptible (in fact, it took me several weeks to even notice it). I have a plex server running on a low powered (Pentium G3220 chip) unraid nas. All of my media files are mkv or mp4 (with the theory being that no transcoding is required to play on my roku 3). But I wasn't aware of the 20 mbps max when I bought the roku 3.

I'm not sure if my stutter is being caused by my low powered chip chugging on the transcoding or if my nas is sending the stream with no transcoding and my roku is just choking on the 30 mbps stream.

My options to remove the stutter appear to be:

1) Re-encode my mkvs to 20 mbps (which would be a pain) so that no transcoding is required

2) Upgrade my nas chip so it can handle transcoding down to 20 mbps.

3) Look for something to replace my roku 3 that does not have a 20mpbs cap.

I know that choosing from the above comes down to personal preference, but I have a couple of questions to throw out to the group:

1) What is the least expensive roku-like device that can handle 30-35 mbps (blu ray) streaming? (NUC for $300ish? I'd hate to have to buy one for each of my TVs)

2) Does anybody know when roku 4 may come out (or its specs)?

3) Any other ideas I'm missing?
post #1714 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I think the 20mbps limitation is a plex thing and not a roku thing. In that case a new device isn't that answer. I think it comes down to re-encoding your movies or a more powerful chip. But i'm not positive on this.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1715 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac100 View Post

I think this is my problem. I'm using a roku 3, and my mkvs are all in the ~30 mbps bitrate range (higher than the roku 3's max of 20 mbps).

1) What is the least expensive roku-like device that can handle 30-35 mbps (blu ray) streaming? (NUC for $300ish? I'd hate to have to buy one for each of my TVs)

3) Any other ideas I'm missing?

Well, id build a better stronger media Server and let it transcode down to Roku 3's 20mbps. But that's me...

Or, give a try with the new Amazon FireTV and cross fingers. Since its a full modern Android Tablet hardware with a Quad-Core it may handle 35 mbps streams. But of course that is a gamble since its new and no one knows yet.

Or, how many HDMI ports do you have? If you have one spare open port, keep the Roku 3 for online streaming and build a separate OpenELEC HTPC box just for your media on the Plex Server. For less than $300 you should be able to build the ultimate Plex playback device, that nothing else on the market can touch (I know I could). OpenELEC UI blows the doors out of the Plex player client anyway, plus you get something that will handle ANY bitrate you can throw at it. OpenELEC and Plex work beautifully together, so I have heard.

There are a million options when rolling your own. This guide narrows the idea down a bit http://mymediaexperience.com/hardware-for-xbmc You build a nice and small ITX media center box filled with gigabit ethernet, one hell of a nice video processor thanks to AMD's APU, and then finalize it with a dedicated media center distro like OpenELEC for that eye popping gorgeous user interface. If I was going to spend over $200 on a Plex playback device that's EXACTLY the road I would be going down, no questions.
post #1716 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a FireTV and i'll be returning it. You can set Plex to "maximum" for bitrate though I don't know what that really is. And I don't have anything at the moment with a bitrate higher than 20mbps to test with. Though I could whip something up tomorrow to try.

However plex on the thing is pretty bugged so it wouldn't be an accurate test.
SkOrPn likes this.

HTPC: Intel e6300 2.8ghz, Intel DG45ID, 2gb DDR2, Radeon 5570, MCE IR receiver, Yamaha RX-V663 receiver via HDMI, panasonic ax100u, 145" S-I-L-V-E-R painted screen, 2x Roku 3's, chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Vizio M602i-B3
post #1717 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a FireTV and i'll be returning it. You can set Plex to "maximum" for bitrate though I don't know what that really is. And I don't have anything at the moment with a bitrate higher than 20mbps to test with. Though I could whip something up tomorrow to try.

That's a bummer. I am considering the FireTV, but only after we see many updates. For now I think the Roku 3 is still the best device for a purchase today. But I admit, all my DVD rips are at stock bitrate, and most of the BD rips are at 10000 KBPS with a few exceptions. My server is only a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, running at 3ghz and I didn't know what that could handle so I kept the bitrates down. It probably could have handled 20000 kbps or more but I didn't want to risk it. It has handled two streams at once before (one being transcoded) but I have not tested simultaneous 10000 kbps streams at once yet with both being transcoded. One of these days I will do a full BD rip and test its transcoding performance for fun, lol...
post #1718 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a e6600 that I was using and it had the occasional stutter. Your quad shouldn't have any issue with a 20mbps stream. I'm using a i7 920 now and it can do several streams without breaking a sweat.
I'm watching some low bitrate stuff through plex on the fire tv now and it's having issues in certain scenes. And plex on it is stuck in 2 channel for mkv.
SkOrPn likes this.

post #1719 of 2105 Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I think the 20mbps limitation is a plex thing and not a roku thing. In that case a new device isn't that answer. I think it comes down to re-encoding your movies or a more powerful chip. But i'm not positive on this.

Thanks for this and the other responses. You're right about it being a Plex issue.

I've done some additional research, and it appears that Plex does have a 20 mbps limitation for direct streaming. I'm not sure if the Roku 3 has any such limitation (it's not listed in any spec sheet I can find). Here is what I've read about the Plex limitation:

When Plex direct stream is turned on, Plex will direct stream (no transcoding) to the client unless the bitstream rate of the file you are trying to play is greater than the streaming quality setting you selected for Plex (the current version of Plex has a max streaming quality of 20 mbps). Thus if your setting is the max (20 mbps) and you try to direct stream a file with a bitstream rate of 30 mbps, then Plex starts transcoding--you are no longer direct streaming, regardless if transcoding is truly needed or not. It's unknown why Plex has this 20 mbps max, but it's hoped that the max will either be eliminated or increased in future plex updates.

I conducted a test which confirmed the Plex 20 mbps limitation is my problem. I played a 30 mbps file on my laptop (powerful, with i7) through Plex, and I got that very slight stutter. Then I went around Plex by accessing the same 30 mbps movie directly from my nas using vlc on my same laptop, and the stuttering was gone.

Thus I have to conclude that that my slight stutter is caused by:

1) Plex refusing to direct stream my 30 mbps file due to Plex's 20 mbps cap, and
2) The poor transcoding power of my little-engine-that-almost-could chip (Pentium G3220).

I liked this chip because it was cheap, low power consumption, and thought to be sufficient. And if I read the benchmarks correctly, I thought that it would be sufficient to transcode one stream. I didn't think I needed a lot of power since I was going to have all of my files in mkv or mp4 (meaning the roku 3 could receive via direct stream with no transcoding). I guess that's what I get for shopping at Walmart when I should have shopped at Macy's (but not Nordstrom). lol

I plan to contact the Plex folks to see if and when that 20 mbps limitation will be raised. Or I'll pony up the money for a better nas chip. As I understand it, Plex Server is not open source, and that prevents somebody who knows what they are doing to raise the 20 mbps himself.

I have to believe that I'm not the only person who has been running into the Plex 20 mbps cap.
post #1720 of 2105 Old 04-14-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Many people know about 1.0 versions in advance.

Gary J
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1721 of 2105 Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New update for Roku 3 info at blog.roku.com
post #1722 of 2105 Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Hmm. I've never even used Roku search.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1723 of 2105 Old 04-15-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Me neither because I already know what I'm going to watch before even launching the Roku app. smile.gif
D Bone likes this.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1724 of 2105 Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I always use it when I'm thinking about renting something. Sometimes one channel will have a better deal than others, or I missed that it'd become available from Netflix or as Prime from Amazon.
scirica likes this.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1725 of 2105 Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My Roku updated itself to version 5.4 earlier today. Anyone else get the update yet?
post #1726 of 2105 Old 04-21-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post

My Roku updated itself to version 5.4 earlier today. Anyone else get the update yet?

I did. The biggest noticeable difference is that when you run the Roku Remote app on your phone or tablet, there's now a little magnifying glass at the top:

Roku Remote App w/Search Icon (Click to show)
uitJqtKyhI7I85iYtqyd3r9eXb19WEp8CrmEmNOsyWCvC9P-pG_M_Iyc85QvgfMbqA=h310-rw

Tap it to perform Roku Search in the app:

Roku Remote App Search Screens (Click to show)
DiJJTaclQHLCeOjKpkuBzaIJdNVOvSMLUCHvSip4Or051iZAT53SDyeeiwAoNPvAklI=h310-rw....5Sey8j3qYaNo-inVjMQh4C-Snpi508VClzPLW3IeAzncSBJZvG5PDzQzuyV_wLPdYHY=h310-rw

The updates give the box the ability to respond to you pressing one of those search results. I'm sure that it also addresses numerous bugs. It might make the system subtitle settings apply to the old Netflix player; I only have it on my Roku 3 so I don't know and can't find out until my 2XS gets the update.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1727 of 2105 Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^^Very cool. Just checked it out after reading this post.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #1728 of 2105 Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Heres a write about about Roku 3 for beginners:

http://moangry.blogspot.com/2014/04/roku-3-review.html
post #1729 of 2105 Old 04-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
post #1730 of 2105 Old 04-29-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Anyone notice since latest update that the a Roku 3 will occasionally loose audio sync, pausing and resuming fixes it sometime, otherwise backing out and let the stream rebuffed resolves it.
post #1731 of 2105 Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just received and set up my very first Roku this evening and there's a couple of things I wanted to ask about, for those that have a history with these devices...

Is it to be expected that the device runs quite warm all the time? I understand it never fully shuts off, and only goes into "stand-by" mode (where the light on the device turns off), but my unit has remained warm on the top and quite hot underneath and has been in stand-by for about 3 hours now. It's on top of my TV stand, completely out on the open.

Secondly, I noticed immediately that the d-pad on the remote was rather "sticky" and cheap feeling. It seems to slide and lock up a bit at times when trying to navigate quickly, or when pressing more toward the middle of any given direction rather than just on the tip. It's quite hard to describe, so I hope someone understands what I'm getting at. If that's not how the d-pad is supposed to feel, I want to make sure I get it taken care of right away.
post #1732 of 2105 Old 04-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post

Just received and set up my very first Roku this evening and there's a couple of things I wanted to ask about, for those that have a history with these devices...

Is it to be expected that the device runs quite warm all the time? I understand it never fully shuts off, and only goes into "stand-by" mode (where the light on the device turns off), but my unit has remained warm on the top and quite hot underneath and has been in stand-by for about 3 hours now. It's on top of my TV stand, completely out on the open.

Secondly, I noticed immediately that the d-pad on the remote was rather "sticky" and cheap feeling. It seems to slide and lock up a bit at times when trying to navigate quickly, or when pressing more toward the middle of any given direction rather than just on the tip. It's quite hard to describe, so I hope someone understands what I'm getting at. If that's not how the d-pad is supposed to feel, I want to make sure I get it taken care of right away.

For the heat issue, yes it is a SoC (system on chip, a.k.a small computer) that runs all kinds of internal functions, cpu, gpu, memory controller etc, and several other functions at something like 600 mhz all inside a very cramped and small enclosed space. So there is no way to get away with it not being hot. Its normal and will always be normal until technology progresses to the point of using much more efficient materials and/or using super conductivity materials to carry electrical signals without energy loss in the form of heat. I think in standby mode it pretty much just turns off the video output and network controller only, but leaves everything else running within the SoC.

Not sure about the pad issue, ours feels quite nice or at least I like how the remote feels. For operation, I do not like this remote because it sometimes seems to lag or completely stop working. So, I figured out how to program our Logitech Harmony to control the Roku (It has a built in IR sensor) the majority of the time leaving the original remote for special functions i.e settings menu etc... Do you have a Universal Remote by chance? Maybe you can also program it to work with the Roku.
post #1733 of 2105 Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLeClair12 View Post

Email Roku customer service about it. I had a similar issue with mine, the down direction would get stuck, or rather a bit sticky as if the clearances were off a bit. They sent me another remote that did not exhibit the problem. They did not ask for the first remote back either.
post #1734 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Email Roku customer service about it. I had a similar issue with mine, the down direction would get stuck, or rather a bit sticky as if the clearances were off a bit. They sent me another remote that did not exhibit the problem. They did not ask for the first remote back either.

I got mine replaced as well, and it was a long, ugly telephone procedure as the support person in India insisted on going down the "First, reboot the device" list step by step.

My issue was stupid simple, and I described it in the first ten seconds: the remote ate a pair of batteries every two days, whether I was using it or not. Simple, right? Not so much. Almost 45 minutes on the phone before they agreed to send me a new one. And he told me they would send an email confirming the conversation and replacement. There was no email, but about a week later, the remote showed up in the mail.
post #1735 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post

For operation, I do not like this remote because it sometimes seems to lag or completely stop working.

I had the same problem.

Turned out, something in my components cabinet was radiating some signal that swamped the unit and prevented it from seeing the remote's signals.

I moved the hockey puck around inside the cabinet until I found a spot where it wasn't an issue, and haven't had a problem since.
SkOrPn likes this.
post #1736 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post

I got mine replaced as well, and it was a long, ugly telephone procedure as the support person in India insisted on going down the "First, reboot the device" list step by step.

My issue was stupid simple, and I described it in the first ten seconds: the remote ate a pair of batteries every two days, whether I was using it or not. Simple, right? Not so much. Almost 45 minutes on the phone before they agreed to send me a new one. And he told me they would send an email confirming the conversation and replacement. There was no email, but about a week later, the remote showed up in the mail.
That's unfortunate, I guess I got lucky, the whole process couldn't have been any easier.
post #1737 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post

I had the same problem.

Turned out, something in my components cabinet was radiating some signal that swamped the unit and prevented it from seeing the remote's signals.

I moved the hockey puck around inside the cabinet until I found a spot where it wasn't an issue, and haven't had a problem since.

I do not think it is much trouble anymore, it just occurred shortly after receiving the unit but not much since then. I think the unit has moved to a different location though, so maybe that was it. Its not my device so my experience with it is limited. I'm just the one who is required to maintain its proper operation, lol...
post #1738 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I understand that the wireless headphone jack on the remote burns through battery life. Can anyone chime in on how long of a life they're getting? I'm averaging changing out once a week. (re-chargeable AA NiMhs) I'm running the wi-fi audio full time to a pair of external speakers to compensate for my panel's crappy 2W speakers.

Wish the Roku 3 still had that a/v mini jack.
post #1739 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

I understand that the wireless headphone jack on the remote burns through battery life. Can anyone chime in on how long of a life they're getting? I'm averaging changing out once a week. (re-chargeable AA NiMhs) I'm running the wi-fi audio full time to a pair of external speakers to compensate for my panel's crappy 2W speakers.

Wish the Roku 3 still had that a/v mini jack.
I kept a Roku 2XS for that very reason. Needed the audio out for music on the patio. I've since started using other gear for that, but I do feel your pain.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #1740 of 2105 Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post

Keep in mind that rechargeables only put out a nominal 1.2 volts after a few moments' use, and so reach the "battery voltage too low" threshold quickly under some circumstances. I think you're doing quite well at a week. I don't have details, but it's likely plugging in the headset turns on additional electronics in the remote, draining the battery.

If you want to do an experiment, buy two Lithium AA batteries, which start off at 1.7 volts or so. They may last a month or more, but of course are much more expensive than rechargeables.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page