*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > *Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread

Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

gadgtfreek's Avatar gadgtfreek
08:03 AM Liked: 372
post #1891 of 2211
07-08-2014 | Posts: 3,029
Its odd because they should come OEM in Auto, you should not have to change it to Auto.
ToonMasterTim's Avatar ToonMasterTim
12:39 PM Liked: 64
post #1892 of 2211
07-08-2014 | Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Its odd because they should come OEM in Auto, you should not have to change it to Auto.
Yes, I believe the default is Auto, but in the calibration forums many of the members have suggested changing the settings, and it has led to problems with some devices, as we've discovered. It will still work, but an astute observer will notice that the picture isn't "right."
SRussell's Avatar SRussell
01:16 PM Liked: 13
post #1893 of 2211
07-08-2014 | Posts: 291
My 65VT60 was not set to Auto from the factory. All three HDMI inputs were set on standard from the factory as I have never been in that HDMI menu since buying the TV in January.
10:01 PM Liked: 372
post #1894 of 2211
07-08-2014 | Posts: 3,029
Odd.
crakarjax's Avatar crakarjax
08:33 AM Liked: 19
post #1895 of 2211
07-09-2014 | Posts: 903
Has anyone verified that the Roku 3 passes blacker-than-black? I'm streaming AVSHD black clipping through the plex app and the BTB bars do not show up no matter what level I have my HDMI input set to on my TV (Samsung plasma).
klopez3709
11:43 AM Liked: 17
post #1896 of 2211
07-09-2014 | Posts: 123
Had slow motion sound yesterday while watching on my Roku3. This is the 3rd time this has happened with 2 different Roku3 units (and the same TV.) When I switch inputs to my cable box, the problem does not go away until I do a complete shutdown to my system.

The last time this happened, I thought my soundbar was at fault and I brought it into the Geek Squad. I also tested my TV sound settings when the slow audio was happening (using the TV sound test option) and the sound tested good. So I know it is not the TV or the sound bar (which tested fine at Best Buy.)

When shutting the TV off and re-powering the Roku, everything is normal again. I set the audio options now to stereo on the Roku. Not sure if the surround sound option was causing the issue. I don't have the issue when using the earbuds.

My TV is an LG LA7400. I did make a video of this weird occurrence, but I'm unsure on how to post it here.

Thank you.
Charles R's Avatar Charles R
12:01 PM Liked: 224
post #1897 of 2211
07-09-2014 | Posts: 10,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by klopez3709 View Post
Had slow motion sound yesterday while watching on my Roku3.
I had a Roku 3 for a while and noticed this on a few occasions if memory serves me... I think it was when I was trick playing per se such as pausing, fast forwarding, etc. Again if I remember correctly all I had to do was stop the current stream and reselect it.
klopez3709
04:06 PM Liked: 17
post #1898 of 2211
07-09-2014 | Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I had a Roku 3 for a while and noticed this on a few occasions if memory serves me... I think it was when I was trick playing per se such as pausing, fast forwarding, etc. Again if I remember correctly all I had to do was stop the current stream and reselect it.
Thank you for your reply. We have had some funky storms here everyday in "sunny" South Florida so I think the issue may have been power-related.

I decided to factory-reset all three boxes. I also assured that stereo and 1080 was chosen. We shall see if this issue repeats itself. Oh, FYI my remote kept on "un-pairing" - that is why I thought to reset as well. Takes a little time with 3 boxes, but hopefully the time was worth it.
PooperScooper's Avatar PooperScooper
05:48 AM Liked: 366
post #1899 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 19,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakarjax View Post
Has anyone verified that the Roku 3 passes blacker-than-black? I'm streaming AVSHD black clipping through the plex app and the BTB bars do not show up no matter what level I have my HDMI input set to on my TV (Samsung plasma).
Interesting. I just ordered a Roku 3 and was wondering if there were any type of calibration patterns on the device - I guess not. What about WTW? If streaming services broadcast basically the same content that's on DVDs or BDs then there will be WTW content (same for BTB but just not as much data) and maybe even more after conversion to RGB. Clipping that wouldn't be very nice.

larry
07:45 AM Liked: 19
post #1900 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Interesting. I just ordered a Roku 3 and was wondering if there were any type of calibration patterns on the device - I guess not. What about WTW? If streaming services broadcast basically the same content that's on DVDs or BDs then there will be WTW content (same for BTB but just not as much data) and maybe even more after conversion to RGB. Clipping that wouldn't be very nice.

larry
I don't know, I assumed WTW had the same issue but I notice the dark details more when they are lacking. I'm also not sure if this is just due to the Plex app -- but I *can* get BTB through Plex on my PS3 so I think it's the Roku's fault. It seems like it is converting 16-235 to 0-255 by clipping 0-16 and 235-255, then expanding 16-235 to the 0-255 range. Which is bad.
07:57 AM Liked: 366
post #1901 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 19,977
Quote:
I don't know, I assumed WTW had the same issue but I notice the dark details more when they are lacking. I'm also not sure if this is just due to the Plex app -- but I *can* get BTB through Plex on my PS3 so I think it's the Roku's fault. It seems like it is converting 16-235 to 0-255 by clipping 0-16 and 235-255, then expanding 16-235 to the 0-255 range. Which is bad.
It's unlikely it's converting from studio levels to PC levels or else many people would be complaining because the input for the Roku would need a completely different calibration than a BD player, etc. I didn't see that here but I didn't read all the posts either. People seem to be complaining about RGB output which, when done correctly, is not an issue at all. I could easily believe the Roku is throwing away BTB and WTW - which would be a shame, especially for WTW. I'll have to look into the Plex app and see about throwing up some calibration patterns.

larry
rjhseven's Avatar rjhseven
05:50 PM Liked: 11
post #1902 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 232
Quote:
Can someone tell me in simple language what Plex is and does?
SMHarman's Avatar SMHarman
05:58 PM Liked: 45
post #1903 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 608
It's like an at home version of Netflix. You point it at your local server with your movies photos music and it presents them on a nice gui to play on your Roku.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
05:58 PM Liked: 372
post #1904 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

بلكس هو نظام تشغيل الوسائط المنزل مركزية قوية مع خادم وسط بلكس وسائل الإعلام التي خادم تيارات وسائل الإعلام إلى العديد من تطبيقات بلكس اعب. خادم متاح في العديد من المنصات مثل ويندوز، OS X، والعديد من النكهات من لينكس، فضلا عن العديد من الأجهزة مثل NAS ريدي ناس أو Synology
SkOrPn's Avatar SkOrPn
06:36 PM Liked: 43
post #1905 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Plex, in simple language is a media server and player suite for Windows, Linux, Mac and Android for people who are tired of using disks.

Not so simple language, Plex
It allows you to store your movies and TV shows (pictures, music etc) in digital form on a media server, and then stream them to your TV's or mobile devices as apposed to using the disks. Three years ago we put a stop to using physical disks (for the most part) by adopting Plex, Netflix, Hulu+ and building a dedicated quad core media server and ripping all new shows/movies to the server and streaming them instead. For very large families like mine (who are addicted to buying movies and shows, music etc) who can not seem to take care of the several thousand DVD's/BD's we own together it is nothing short of a miracle. Although, I still have roughly 1400 DVD's and BD disks that I have not bothered to rip yet, just to lazy, and don't want to buy more hdd space (when something that does not reside on the server is needed a family member will bring the physical disk to me and my Hexa-Core Xeon ripping machine goes to work). lol, at last rough count we have almost 1900 disks (I have tried half a dozen times but I can not get an accurate count no matter how hard I try), maybe 1%-2% do not play anymore due to damage, and another 1%-2% are just missing out of their cases forever (and no one ever seems to know what happened to it) and Dad has DVD storage units scattered everywhere in the house. At least 450 movies, and 20+ Shows are currently residing on 8TB of hdd space on the Plex server. Now the actual disks get to stay pristine permanently thanks to Plex Media Server, and their Plex players (which display the content into a beautiful layout complete with movie information, ratings and the trailers) and anyone who tries to borrow them are usually told NO... lol it just makes the Movie watching experience much more pleasant, and much faster using Plex and not having to get up to search through thousands of disks, in three different family rooms.

I still have not ripped my brothers complete set of Star Treks (which he wants me to do, grr), or my complete set of all the Star Gates, but I refuse to do large seasonal shows (the ones that have 20+ eps per year and have 5 seasons or more). That is where I draw the line, I usually tell the family I have a life... So its mainly for movies, pictures, home movies and music (which we also have FAR FAR too many music disks to rip). We have more than that by far but those are in Betamax and VHS form and who wants to invest in figuring out how to rip those? NOT I! I'd rather buy it off of Amazon and rip it to the server, if its a good enough movie/show to reside on the server (if you know what I mean). That is Plex...

Here is a great short Youtube video on "What is Plex"

undecided's Avatar undecided
09:53 PM Liked: 71
post #1906 of 2211
07-10-2014 | Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Interesting. I just ordered a Roku 3 and was wondering if there were any type of calibration patterns on the device - I guess not.

larry
I had major color space and black level issues with my Roku 2 and my receiver. I am told they are fixed with the Roku 3.

Anyway download AVS HD 709

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

Put it on a USB drive and you can play it from your Roku 2 / 3

It should give you all the calibration patterns you need to check this out.

This is what I used when checking for black level / clipping issues with my Roku 2.
05:11 AM Liked: 366
post #1907 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 19,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
I had major color space and black level issues with my Roku 2 and my receiver. I am told they are fixed with the Roku 3.

It should give you all the calibration patterns you need to check this out.

This is what I used when checking for black level / clipping issues with my Roku 2.
Thanks, that's simpler than setting up Plex.

larry
06:38 AM Liked: 13
post #1908 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 291
Still having issues with black level on my 65VT60 with Netflix on the ROKU 3. I changed the HDMI RGB to Auto on the television and on the first night that I made the change it made a noticeable difference. Now I am noticing again that the black bars on movies (Insidious 2 for example last night) and the darker areas of the picture are dark gray. My ViP722 DVR does not exhibit this behavior, nor does my blu-ray player. All sources are routed through my Pioneer SC-1222 which is set for video passthrough only (no processing) then routed from the HDMI out on the Pioneer to HDMI 2 on the Panasonic TV. I double checked that the RGB settings held on the TV and they are correct. Any other ideas, I went through all the settings on the ROKU and could not find anything related. Thanks in advance.
06:57 AM Liked: 372
post #1909 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 3,029
Id try the Roku forums for help. The Roku 2 had issues with Onkyo's, but I thought the Roku 3 had corrected this. COuld be something in the AVR as well. Have you tried the Roku directly connected to the VT to rule out the AVR?
07:22 AM Liked: 19
post #1910 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Ah! I hadn't thought of playing directly from the Roku. Removing Plex from the equation would be great -- I do have the patterns loaded onto a USB stick already, and found to my chagrin that the PS3 won't detect them as video files. I'll give that a shot, thanks for the suggestion.
07:40 AM Liked: 13
post #1911 of 2211
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Id try the Roku forums for help. The Roku 2 had issues with Onkyo's, but I thought the Roku 3 had corrected this. COuld be something in the AVR as well. Have you tried the Roku directly connected to the VT to rule out the AVR?
I had not checked connecting the ROKU directly to the TV as none of the other sources are exhibiting the problem but will check it. I will also check to make sure something didn't get reset on the AVR. One thing I was wondering about was the black level of various Netflix files, are they all encoded the same way or could there be variations from file to file on Netflix itself? Thanks for the suggestions, have some things to check.
07:56 AM Liked: 372
post #1912 of 2211
I'm not totally sure. I can say I have a VT50, with Roku 3 and Amazon Fire, both of which output RGB and I do not see the issue you are talking about. As far as I knew the VT60 handled all this properly as well in Auto, which makes me think it is something else. There is not a colorspace setting on the Roku, it is going to output RGB 444 regardless. On some sets and avr's you need to make a change for RGB, and some AVR's do not like RGB at all. Usually on passthru this is not an issue, but once again not all AVR's passthru without mucking with the signal. It's really false advertising passthru!
08:50 AM Liked: 13
post #1913 of 2211
I will check and see if my pioneer AVR has an RGB setting for HDMI, sounds like that may be the place to look. Thanks.
lujan's Avatar lujan
10:08 AM Liked: 28
post #1914 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRussell View Post
I will check and see if my pioneer AVR has an RGB setting for HDMI, sounds like that may be the place to look. Thanks.
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to get the video resolution of a movie or TV coming through the Roku 3 on the various apps? It would be nice to know especially when Amazon says that's it's in 1080p but several forum posters claim that Amazon only provides resolution up to 720p.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott
10:16 AM Liked: 808
post #1915 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 18,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to get the video resolution of a movie or TV coming through the Roku 3 on the various apps? It would be nice to know especially when Amazon says that's it's in 1080p but several forum posters claim that Amazon only provides resolution up to 720p.

Amazon has 1080p content, but I don't believe that the Amazon Instant Video Roku channel can stream in 1080p; only a limited set of devices can. I think that the only thing that I have which can do it is PS3 and I've never seen it display the 1080p indicator.

And no, there's no resolution indicator in the Roku AIV channel. It will usually say whether it's starting out in HD.
lujan's Avatar lujan
01:12 PM Liked: 28
post #1916 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Amazon has 1080p content, but I don't believe that the Amazon Instant Video Roku channel can stream in 1080p; only a limited set of devices can. I think that the only thing that I have which can do it is PS3 and I've never seen it display the 1080p indicator.

And no, there's no resolution indicator in the Roku AIV channel. It will usually say whether it's starting out in HD.
Thanks, I usually download to my TiVo because it will indicate the resolution and I get it in 1080p. I was hoping to stream on the Roku in 1080p. Amazon has always been very vague with questions like this saying "you will get the highest resolution based on bandwidth" but not coming out and saying that it will stream in 1080p.
michaeltscott's Avatar michaeltscott
01:20 PM Liked: 808
post #1917 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 18,020
Sadly, Amazon downloads to TiVo, though 1080p, are encoded at half the bit rate of the streams (or at least the episode of House of Cards that I downloaded was.
02:54 PM Liked: 71
post #1918 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRussell View Post
Still having issues with black level on my 65VT60 with Netflix on the ROKU 3. I changed the HDMI RGB to Auto on the television and on the first night that I made the change it made a noticeable difference. Now I am noticing again that the black bars on movies (Insidious 2 for example last night) and the darker areas of the picture are dark gray. My ViP722 DVR does not exhibit this behavior, nor does my blu-ray player. All sources are routed through my Pioneer SC-1222 which is set for video passthrough only (no processing) then routed from the HDMI out on the Pioneer to HDMI 2 on the Panasonic TV. I double checked that the RGB settings held on the TV and they are correct. Any other ideas, I went through all the settings on the ROKU and could not find anything related. Thanks in advance.
I had issues with Roku 2 XS / Onkyo RC-360 / Panasonic VT30 combination

Very strangely the black level to the TV through the Onkyo seemed to depend if the audio source from the Roku was 2.0 or 5.1.

2.0 material worked correctly from the Roku 2 XS with the TV getting RGB limited (16 - 235). Switching 5.1 caused the TV to receive RGB full (0 - 255). Drove me crazy for a time as the black level would be OK on some material and then wrong on another (that's the reason I put AVSHD on a USB drive - so I could double check it was working). For a time I was changing the HDMI level on the TV depending on the audio source from the Roku 2. While this worked it was clugey and caused baffled looks from my wife each time I would make the adjustment.....Switching the audio output of the Roku 2 to stereo also worked - but well that somewhat defeats the point....

There are long threads on Roku and Onkyo forums with both companies blaming the other. In the end I went with an Apple TV (now Chromecast and FireTV as well) and the issue went away. Many people on both the Roku and Onkyo forums did report the issue fixed with the Roku 3 (I can't verify this as I never got a Roku 3).
02:59 PM Liked: 71
post #1919 of 2211
07-11-2014 | Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Ah! I hadn't thought of playing directly from the Roku. Removing Plex from the equation would be great -- I do have the patterns loaded onto a USB stick already, and found to my chagrin that the PS3 won't detect them as video files. I'll give that a shot, thanks for the suggestion.
Yes you have to download the correct version - I think (but not 100% sure) that I used the MP4 version.

You'll also need the USB video app / channel for the Roku
05:13 PM Liked: 372
post #1920 of 2211
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Sadly, Amazon downloads to TiVo, though 1080p, are encoded at half the bit rate of the streams (or at least the episode of House of Cards that I downloaded was.

Its not an issue though. Ive downloaded dozens of current tv show episodes, played back at 1080p/24 from the Tivo, and they are some of the best quality HD Ive seen minus Blu-ray. Reminds me of Vudu HDX downloads.
Tags: Roku 3 Streaming Player

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Subscribe to this Thread