Forum Jump: 
 38Likes

post #1951 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What is so great about AirPlay anyway? I rather use casting and Bluetooth as AirPlay always had some kind of delay when you go to use it.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post
Thanks for the info, everyone. I ordered one!

I may eventually get a Roku 3 after selling the Roku 2 for an Apple TV. I like the Apple TV, but I can't stand not having Autoplay for Netflix, especially in TV show binges and the NF interface on it is less efficient for navigating. And, now that the Roku has a Youtube app along with the mobile ability to control videos, that's one less advantage the ATV had with AirPlay. Plus, I miss Amazon and Vudu support.

I forgot to add that the new Roku Netflix channel, available only on Roku 3 and the HDMI stick, has Post-play with automatic next episode start (which can be disabled, though Post-play cannot); Netflix on the other Rokus does not have this feature. There are people who hate this because they like to watch the credits and it shrinks them to offer you the next episode or a selection of suggested similar movies.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
post #1953 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Great choice on the Roku 3. I just hope you got it from Amazon as if it does not work out they have a excellent return policy. Also register on Roku Forums once you get it. They are very helpful there if you have any issues.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 07-16-2014 at 01:34 PM.
post #1954 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
What is so great about AirPlay anyway? I rather use casting and Bluetooth as AirPlay always had some kind of delay when you go to use it.
Perhaps network related, because there's barely a delay for me. It's great because I can just send a video I find on the internet or while browsing news to my TV. I also used YouTube this way, but luckily YouTube supports similar functionality with newer players like the PS3 and Roku now.
post #1955 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I forgot to add that the new Roku Netflix channel, available only on Roku 3 and the HDMI stick, has Post-play with automatic next episode start (which can be disabled, though Post-play cannot); Netflix on the other Rokus does not have this feature. There are people who hate this because they like to watch the credits and it shrinks them to offer you the next episode or a selection of suggested similar movies.
but all they have to do is select that window and it will enlarge it again to fit the screen.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1956 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
but all they have to do is select that window and it will enlarge it again to fit the screen.

Yes, but the people who complain don't want the interruption at all and it takes a couple of button presses (LEFT, OK). It generally doesn't bug me, but I will agree that it's not necessary. The old common Netflix UI on some of my devices play through to the end of the credits before bringing up the Post-play dialog; if you want to get to Post-play immediately, all you have to do is press UP or STOP.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1957 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

What annoys me the most is the fact it sometimes shrinks the credits before the program is even over like some episodes of the 4400. At least the Disney content when there is a scene during the end credits like with Phineas and Ferb it waits until the last couple of seconds when the scene is over before shrinking the screen.

Cats are the best pets.
post #1958 of 2105 Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've never seen it shrink the screen before it got to the credits. I think that someone has to be manually setting metadata indicating where the credits begin. I don't think that they can reliably detect that automatically. They could take a stab at automatic detection, but a human would have to check and confirm. Or so I believe--I could be wrong.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1959 of 2105 Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
Yes you have to download the correct version - I think (but not 100% sure) that I used the MP4 version.

You'll also need the USB video app / channel for the Roku

mp4 will play on PC with WMP and also play on PS3 .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1960 of 2105 Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
I believe you are right. I've been watching The Great Beauty (2014 Academy Award for Best Foreign film) the past two nights and noticed that it automatically tries to load another show if you don't intercede. I don't remember it acting this way before and it's not a feature I care for.
I'd rather watch an action flick ,the news or almost anything else myself just saying ☺
*We all like different things for different reasons * the world would be pretty boring otherwise .

My 1 and 2 (new models ) try to load next shows within a season on *some channels some not *and never on a movie thus far . The binge watching next episode play option is present on Netflix also IIRC it is a default option on Amazon instant .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 03:21 PM.
post #1961 of 2105 Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 42
LOL, there is NOTHING worse then watching the news, NOTHING. I'd rather watch molasses filling a bucket that's hanging on the side of a tree, in winter.
reddice likes this.
post #1962 of 2105 Old 07-17-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
LOL, there is NOTHING worse then watching the news, NOTHING. I'd rather watch molasses filling a bucket that's hanging on the side of a tree, in winter.
You know what they say about an uninformed citizenry right ?

........... an uninformed citizenry is a very vulnerable citizenry at thier own peril !

Politics and current world events aside , If nothing else at the very least watching the news is a good way to find out about the weather and traffic conditions or an impending epidemic or earthquakes (after they happen) ,Tsunami's ,coastal tidal waves,snow blizzards floods ,storms , tornadoes ,droughts ,volcanos ,meteorites and hurricanes ! I will say local news is not my thing I would rather watch CNN,Fox, PBS news hour , BBC etc (and sometimes MSNBC but only when the real news channels are on commercial break ☺☺

And ofc the business channels are often indispensable to some of us now and then mine sometimes come on as soon as the markets open. ☺
Jacob305 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-17-2014 at 11:55 PM.
post #1963 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I dont watch the news, that is what I have an RSS feed for that gets over 600 articles a day. News just repeats its over and over and over.

65" VT50 / BDP-103
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1964 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
I'd rather watch an action flick ,the news or almost anything else myself just saying ☺
A visually stunning movie but I'd have to agree it's not for everyone. There is also an extended interview with the director who explains what he was trying to achieve in the story and it adds some depth to his film. A big summer hit in Italy where it's title is La Grande Bellezza. And of course it won numerous film awards.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #1965 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I only watch tech news through the WSJ app and the YouTube app (C-Net, Android Authority and other tech channels). I hate the local and world news as it is like taking a depression pill. I get tired of it so fast. Tech news I never get tired off.

Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 07-18-2014 at 10:20 AM.
post #1966 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

I watch weather reports 5 or 6 times a day and also rss to draw what's important. I do not watch the prime time politically paid for stuff that constantly repeats its lies and evil over and over. There are other ways, much more reliable ways to get at the truth without the constant negativity and false claims. If you get all your news from CBS or NBC etc, then you have no clue what is truly happening in the world and only know what they want you to believe.

Sent from my Nexus 7
tubetwister likes this.
post #1967 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
News just repeats its over and over and over.
I do a "manual recording" of the last half hour of the morning news on the DVR, specifically to minimize the repeats and yet get the answer to the "question of the day".

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #1968 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
I watch weather reports 5 or 6 times a day and also rss to draw what's important. I do not watch the prime time politically paid for stuff that constantly repeats its lies and evil over and over. There are other ways, much more reliable ways to get at the truth without the constant negativity and false claims. If you get all your news from CBS or NBC etc, then you have no clue what is truly happening in the world and only know what they want you to believe.
Sent from my Nexus 7
I agree CBS,NBC,ABC are the worst (clueless ) places to get news I do not watch them there are other 'fair and balanced 'cable news channels and on the opposite end of the scale there is CNN, IMO the truth lies somewhere in the middle of those two examples . The Beebe and PBS news hour are also a couple of legitimate numerous alternatives with MSNBC being one of if not the the least credible of the cable channel news stations . Plenty of interesting and credible stuff
(not Yahoo ) on the web as well.

ofc when it starts repeating it's time to change the channel or website there is lots out there or just do something else altogether (watch a ball game, PS3 Gaming , or spin up Netlix or Prime on the Roku )or whatever or actually do something real and away from a connected screen altogether ☺.

RSS feeds are fine for those that like them . WSJ & WSJ Market watch websites are good so are Bloomberg,Fortune ,AP,Reuters,UPI ,and B.I. all on my bookmarks bar along with some others WSJ & Bloomberg Roku channels are OK just not as current as the websites . I'm sure they all have RSS feeds as well.

I spin up tech news and hardware websites on the PC or *some * tech news Roku channels and have some favorites but the majority of the mainstream consumer tech news sites have devolved and are invariably boring smart phone ,tard pad ,android app and ear bud review sites these days .

I don't watch news or much of anything on smart phone apps much although I have a Galaxy 3 watching on a 24" PC monitor or connected 40" - 60" HDTV screen here beats the heck out of a 4.8 " screen or a tard pad .

Admittedly being retired and out of the workforce for the most part affords me that convenience
The important thing for all of us is to keep informed no matter how we do it .
SkOrPn likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 08:56 PM.
post #1969 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
nobody cares what news you don't like
mhobart likes this.

Gary J

post #1970 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
nobody cares what news you don't like
That may be your opinion ..............OTOH See how many likes and quotes I have in only 1.5 years and 2K posts what does that say in comparison ?
SkOrPn likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.
post #1971 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
That may be your opinion ..............OTOH See how many likes and quotes I have in only 1.5 years and 2K posts what does that say in comparison ?
I thought this was supposed to be the thread for the Roku 3?
Gary J, mhobart and reddice like this.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1972 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 100
We are off topic.
Gary J, mhobart, reddice and 1 others like this.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.

post #1973 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 403
That's not news...
scirica and tubetwister like this.
post #1974 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I dont watch the news, that is what I have an RSS feed for that gets over 600 articles a day. News just repeats its over and over and over.
news programs make up around half of the 350+ recordings my TiVo records every two weeks.

EDIT: I just double checked it's actually 500+ shows and it looks like over 75% of the upcoming recordings during the next couple of weeks are news programs. I didn't realize it was that many. I record the news broadcasts constantly from around nine channels(mostly CNN and Al Jezeera) but I have it set to only keep one episode so I have the most current broadcast. I only watch a tiny fraction of those shows that are recorded.
tubetwister likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-18-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #1975 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Back on topic they have some news channels on Roku 3 and all the other ones for those that may be interested

OTOH the Roku 1,2,3 and stick work well with the 3 maybe being faster probably on Netflix (by a little ) and especially on You tube that has actually made to run on a PC browser not a SoC hockey puck or stick . Everything else should run about the same .

When the Roku's get adequate bandwidth (between Netflix or their open connection partners and the end user) and properly functioning updates along with some electricity they generally work very well and output RGB 16-235 I suspect .

lacking one or more of the above it either works poorly or not at all no rocket science there !

I'm watching my Roku on the 40" Sony LED next to me here right now ( Netflix 1080p Super HD over wifi ) and using the PC (wifi also ) at the same time and both are working very well never any buffering /drop outs or resolution step downs or any other apparent problems with Roku using Netflix or Amazon Prime HD on U Verse ATT Broadband here with a U verse ( Pace ) 3801 wifi RGW . I use a PS3 for Netflix etc and DLNA streaming over the LAN on the PDP both work good for ip steaming with the Roku being more sensible energy wise . I have another Roku on another set also .

Ofc I'm within 900 ft of the neighborhood fiber connected V rad and within about 65 mi of ATT and Netflix servers in San Jose area as they say sometimes location is everything ☺☺☺
reddice likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 09:00 PM.
post #1976 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
OTOH the Roku 1,2,3 and stick work well with the 3 maybe being faster probably on on Netflix (by a little )...

Since they're running different Netflix players it's difficult to compare. The Roku 1 and 2 are still running the "native" Roku Netflix player and the HDMI stick and Roku 3 are running the new common Netflix player (also on my PS3, Xbox 360, TiVo Roamio and TiVo Premiere). After the 5.5 system update (and a concurrent update to the Netflix channel, it starts up in 2 seconds on Roku 3 and the HDMI stick.

A representative of Roku recently stated (in their user forums) that they couldn't get the new Netflix channel to perform adequately on the other 2nd and 3rd gen Roku models so it's not coming to them. (It's suspected that they couldn't get it to run well on some of them and decline bringing it to only some products and trying to explain that to customers). Hopefully this means that they'll finally bring Profiles to the old channel.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1977 of 2105 Old 07-18-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

@ michaeltscott,

So that's why the R 1 & 2 are so different from PS 3 . I thought the PS3 UI was only for Sony never owned R3 so I'm just finding out it is using the same UI as PS3 right now. Learned something else I never knew today today cool !

Otherwise the R 1 & 2 are running pretty fair on 5.5 (better) now you can even watch You Tube the same day just not as fast as it should be or probably is on the 3 it went from intolerably slow to less intolerably slow on R 1 & 2 though !
I watch my YT, Amazon and Netflix playlists I make on the PC's when I'm flying the friendly inter webs with Roku 1 & 2 so it's fine here .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-18-2014 at 11:47 PM.
post #1978 of 2105 Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So that's why the R 1 & 2 are so different from PS 3 . I thought the PS3 UI was only for Sony never owned R3 so I'm just finding out it is using the same UI as PS3 right now.

Netflix on the PS3 began as a BD Java app which required that you have its disc in the drive while it was running. This was thought to be because MS had a timed exclusivity deal for installed Netflix players on consoles with their version on Xbox 360. The first installed version of Netflix on PS3 had this UI:

Spoiler!
It brought 1080p video, 5.1 sound, alternate audio and selectable captions/subtitles to the table; those features were exclusive to it for something like 8 months, first appearing elsewhere on Roku 2XS (I believe). It was written in web authoring languages (HTML, JavaScript, etc) and ran on a port of Webkit. It was ported to many different platforms (it still is on my Sony and Panasonic BDPs and my WD TV Live), though new features pretty much always came to PS3 first (at one point it was the most popular device for viewing Netflix on televisions). The new common Netflix UI is written principally in JavaScript and runs on a pared down, purpose optimized engine of Netflix's design.

This web-tech approach allows them to fix most problems and to make major changes to the UI and functionality as easily as changing their websites, without replacing the resident code, something which required a firmware upgrade on most platforms (though not game consoles). Such firmware updates are infrequent, in control of device OEMs and stop happening altogether after a year or two. The downside of the approach is that it's much more CPU intensive than a native implementation, such as the one running on all 2nd and 3rd gen Rokus other than Roku 3 and the HTML Streaming Stick, so it requires a faster processor to perform well. (The old common Netflix UI performs horribly on some of the platforms it runs on, like my Panasonic BDP; you would not believe its incredibly sluggish response to commands). Roku owners are accustomed to very good Netflix performance, so anything they replace the native Netflix channel with has to perform at least as well.
tubetwister likes this.

"
" -- hookbill
post #1979 of 2105 Old 07-19-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

So now in essence you are launching a Web browser that only connects to the Netflix website. Any and all updates can be done on their end and when you launch the Netflix App it will always give you the changes and never need to be updated. Unless of course they find a bug with their Web app, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7
post #1980 of 2105 Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

@ michaeltscott

Cool lots of interesting things I never knew my first exposure to Netflix streaming was on PC and PS3 2nd gen I believe ( Slim I think not the Phatt but not the current one either)

I just got down with Roku in maybe the last year with an refurbished XD that eventually started overheating (or drifting out of tolerance more likely ) since it runs on a wall wart that required re booting every couple of days or would freeze at the home screen Since given away and now have the
1 & 2 and work well for my use . This whole technical end of the Netflix and Roku and the history is very interesting (remarkable company's ) I started out with their mail order DVD service in the early days of Netflix but just stream now and have a very favorable experience with them all in all over the years and more lately Roku as well .

Ofc much of the technical stuff is beyond my level of understanding in a professional sense but none the less interesting . I rolled my own PC's for years and started out with Dos then win 3x + had all the in between windows and am on 7 x64 and Linux Ubuntu 14.4 LTS dual boot I heard mint was good (maybe it was you that mentioned that ? ) and have screwed a couple of win 8x boxes together for friends .

Started out on dial up BBS and Usenet w/ 9600k modem before AOL ( !Prodigy was my first isp or on line service ) with 14.4 modem by then ! then AOL then Pac bell internet to get away from AOL then back to ATT global net DSL then Comcast and now ATT U Verse !

Some of the s**t we got away with on the web (no harm to anyone just curiosity)
early on would get you a federal beef and a lengthy vacation today ☺☺ if those keyboards could talk ☺☺

First box was a used ~1 yr old NEC 386 SX (EGA Graphics later upgraded to VGA ) had 2 Megs of ram and 20 Meg Hdd I stuffed a 100 meg hdd and 2 more ( 1 meg Simms of ram ) and VGA graphics in it !

I thought Netscape Navigator and my AMD 486 DX100 , Cyrex 686 CPU and AMD K6 then OC Celrons and Pxxx and HT P4 were are cool back in the day I passed on the Athlon 64x thing (perhaps mistakenly ) altogether .

I have an OC 9x Phenom II x4 a discrete HD vid card and hifi sound card and new 7200 rpm hdd (the orig developed bad sectors ) in this box ( the daily driver ) other one is an stock HP Intel Sandy bridge i5 . I don't prefer laptops or net books I was tied to a laptop (Thinkpads ) for over~ 20 years at work when I was out in the field also .

Well any way the browser ,PC stuff , Netflix and Roku stuff is all very interesting even what I don't or barley understand sometimes
so your posts are quite helpful there .

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-19-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page