Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
post #1981 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my streaming stick and love it. It's perfect for the bedroom and hidden nicely behind the TV.

Question - it seems to be a known issue that the Roku doesn't sleep or the screensaver doesn't come on when Netflix is open? I still want post-play, but it would be nice when it stops playing that it would go to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
So now in essence you are launching a Web browser that only connects to the Netflix website. Any and all updates can be done on their end and when you launch the Netflix App it will always give you the changes and never need to be updated. Unless of course they find a bug with their Web app, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7
re /tubetwisrer

Never thought of it that way myself..... but you might have a point there launch what you think is an app channel and it's a web tec ? call home to mama browser? maybe similar to the PS3 PSN and Netflix thing in some respects Interesting to see what M.S. says ? this is getting interesting .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1983 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yeah I think the new Netflix app is just a dedicated html5 Web app. It only connects to Netflix and plays video using the html5 Web player. Netflix can make any and all coding changes when ever they feel like it and not need the device manufacturer's to update firmware. In my opinion all apps that need Web connectivity to retrieve content of some kind should work that way.

That is the only real way to unify the user experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7
tubetwister likes this.
post #1984 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

@ SkOrPn,

Glad I have the PS3 anyway (Wont feel like an orphan when I use that for N/Flix ☺) too bad I couldn't break into the
1 & 2 and update the SoC (that is if I could find any ) not to mention my soldering skills aren't the greatest when it comes to embedded surface mount stuff anyway I doubt it would survive the surgery
For now the 1 & 2 get the job done besides like I do now most of the time , I can just populate my playlists with a PC and just watch those anyway if it gets kludgey later on .

Cool thing is with the HTML5 they could bring in previews ,trailers and IMDb and Rotten Tomato ratings like the PC embedded Netflix Enhancer browser extension does now that's a way cool advantage the PC has for browsing Netflix right now ! SRSLY the PC Netflix enhancer is way cool!

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-19-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #1985 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
@ SkOrPn,

Glad I have the PS3 anyway (Wont feel like an orphan when I use that for N/Flix ☺) too bad I couldn't break into the
1 & 2 and update the SoC (that is if I could find any ) not to mention my soldering skills aren't the greatest when it comes to embedded surface mount stuff anyway I doubt it would survive the surgery
For now the 1 & 2 get the job done besides like I do now most of the time , I can just populate my playlists with a PC and just watch those anyway if it gets kludgey later on .

Cool thing is with the HTML5 they could bring in previews ,trailers and IMDb and Rotten Tomato ratings like the PC embedded Netflix Enhancer browser extension does now that's a way cool advantage the PC has for browsing Netflix right now ! SRSLY the PC Netflix enhancer is way cool!
I would guess that the apps in the 1 and 2 are in the firmware and not in any distinct SoC. That's just speculation on my part as I only have a Roku 3.
post #1986 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
I would guess that the apps in the 1 and 2 are in the firmware and not in any distinct SoC. That's just speculation on my part as I only have a Roku 3.
That's probably safe to say but the Roku one and two SoC doesn't apparently have the processing grunt to run HTML5 quite like the Roku 3 and PS3 can .

post #1987 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
That's probably safe to say but the Roku one and two SoC doesn't apparently have the processing grunt to run HTML5 quite like the Roku 3 and PS3 can .
Thanks for pointing that out as I had not mentioned the processing power difference :-)
post #1988 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I tried to watch Lone Survivor on M-Go last night as my complimentary movie. I am severely hearing impaired and have to use captions. This movie was captioned for first 5 minutes then -no captions. Is this common on M-Go? Not impressed-tried customer service last night; still no response.

Memphis Home Builder
post #1989 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
So now in essence you are launching a Web browser that only connects to the Netflix website. Any and all updates can be done on their end and when you launch the Netflix App it will always give you the changes and never need to be updated. Unless of course they find a bug with their Web app, lol

It is possible that they will add new functionality which needs changes to the resident code and it's possible that there are bugs in that code which need fixing that aren't in that portion of the app on other platforms. Recently with the 5.5 system update to Roku 3 and the HDMI Streaming Stick the Netflix channel now starts up in a dazzling 2 seconds flat, bring you back to precisely the place where you exited it; there was a concurrent update to the resident Netflix code. I also see updates to the resident code on PS3 from time to time.

As I understand it, the app is written principally in JavaScript at this point; I'm not sure how much HTML is involved. I know that there was HTML5 and CSS used in the Webkit version but they don't talk about that anymore.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 07-19-2014 at 02:27 PM.
post #1990 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It is possible that they will add new functionality which needs changes to the resident code and it's possible that there are bugs in that code which need fixing that aren't in that portion of the app on other platforms. Recently with the 5.5 system update to Roku 3 and the HDMI Streaming Stick the Netflix channel now starts up in a dazzling 2 seconds flat, bring you back to precisely the place where you exited it; there was a concurrent update to the resident Netflix code. I also see updates to the resident code on PS3 from time to time.

As I understand it, the app is written principally in JavaScript at this point; I'm not sure how much HTML is involved.
Dang , my poo a**ed Roku 1 & 2 takes 5-6 secinds to load Neflix think they will give me my money back ?

TBH still quicker and more convenient than taking a DVD /BD outa it's case and loading it though especially on a slow a**ed PS3 or PC ODD . ofc spinning a movie up on metal (hdd) is pretty fast also . If one of My Roku's expire OOW (or if somebody here want's to give me what I paid for one of them (retail sale price ) I will get a 3 though 2 seconds is fast ! About as fast or same as this PC loads Netflix .......once the page is casched ☺☺

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-19-2014 at 02:41 PM.
post #1991 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
dang my poo a**ed Roku 1 & 2 takes 5-6 secinds to load Neflix think they will give me my money back ?

Until the 5.5 update the new channel UI took 10-12 seconds to start on Roku 3 and around 30 seconds to start on the HDMI stick. That last was not tolerable so they had to do something. Now it takes about 2 seconds to start on either device. You barely glimpse the splash screen before the menu appears, exactly where you left off. If you'd been browsing the episode list of a series when you hit home, you'll return to there, with the same episode selected. If you'd scrolled around in several genre rows, they'll all be aligned exactly as they were when you exited.

Last edited by michaeltscott; 07-19-2014 at 02:49 PM.
post #1992 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If interested, you can see brief technical discussions of their old Webkit/HTML5/CSS3 based app here in the Netflix Tech Blog and of the new app on their custom engine here.

post #1993 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I understand it, the app is written principally in JavaScript at this point; I'm not sure how much HTML is involved. I know that there was HTML5 and CSS used in the Webkit version but they don't talk about that anymore.
re/tubetwister

Javascript /HTML5 ...meh six of one half dozen of the other ☺I would just like to be able to run an embedded Netflix enhancer with IMDb and Rotten Tomato page links ,previews,trailers ,and with both ratings immediately visible in or near the cover art or in a pop up on a Roku or whatever player/streamer like the PC Netflix enhancer I don't care how they do it ! .......................it should be capable either way or not ?
On second though I don't want my Roku Javahijacked oh that's the Other Java huh ? (bad java ) ☺ I'll check out that link !

I'm thinking the 1 $ 2 don't necessarily have the brainpower for that though think you could maybe talk to somebody over there at Netflix and Roku about that ? ☺ That would be a good feature and selling /talking point even and especially if only on the 3 ! Good product differentation within Roku or the market in general

At least they got same day (less intolerably slow )You Tube running on 1 & 2 now

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-19-2014 at 03:23 PM.
post #1994 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would just like to be able to run an embedded Netflix enhancer with IMDb and Rotten Tomato page links ,previews,trailers ,and with both ratings immediately visible in or near the cover art or in a pop up on a Roku or whatever player/streamer like the PC Netflix enhancer I don't care how they do it ! .......................it should be capable either way or not ?

That ain't happenin'--the reason why it works in web browsers is because of the ability to install extensions. No such ability to extend Netflix's JavaScript engine. Like anything else, it's a function which Netflix could add to the player if they wanted to.

post #1995 of 2008 Unread 07-19-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That ain't happenin'--the reason why it works in web browsers is because of the ability to install extensions. No such ability to extend Netflix's JavaScript engine. Like anything else, it's a function which Netflix could add to the player if they wanted to.
I was afraid of that it seemed like a bit much as compared to the Roku 1,2 and maybe the PS3/Netflix business anyway
to bad they couldn't do it with native code but you know all that stuff . Looks like the PC is going to remain the top dog for browsing Netflix and ofc. You Tube....... Web browsers are hard to beat for functionality and enhancements
when it's all said and done .

Have you seen the spike in enterprise business sales of Chromebooks .... unbelievable Dell had to suspend sales
due to excessive demand and low inventories you can bet they've been on the phone with some one ramping up some orders !

I would have never guessed quite as much but still quite bit . I was always tied to my think pad in the field
but TBH a lot that *could be done * with a Chromebook and a good connection and some off line apps.
Power point was also big but not so much now like it was .there was time for almost 20 yrs when you didn't go to a meeting or have a meeting without a PP presentation it just wasn't done !Now they will throw out the door if you bring one is some circles no lie! Excel is still top dog though !

We used Excel to write our budgets ,expenses , and forecasts if they could somehow port that over to Chromebook
they would own the enterprise laptop market,................ s**t the way it's going they might anyway !
s**t they have i3 Chrome books now ! I would have killed for one in a think pad when I was working !

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-19-2014 at 05:24 PM.
post #1996 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
re/tubetwister

Javascript /HTML5 ...meh six of one half dozen of the other ☺I would just like to be able to run an embedded Netflix enhancer with IMDb and Rotten Tomato page links ,previews,trailers ,and with both ratings immediately visible in or near the cover art or in a pop up on a Roku or whatever player/streamer like the PC Netflix enhancer I don't care how they do it ! .......................it should be capable either way or not ?

What I don't get is why Netflix has been so eager to throw out a very useful resource - their customer's reviews. They have been a great resource for me for learning about movies to watch and I shared a lot of the opinions, but they're impossible to see anywhere but the website and the website does its best to hide them now to.
post #1997 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post
What I don't get is why Netflix has been so eager to throw out a very useful resource - their customer's reviews. They have been a great resource for me for learning about movies to watch and I shared a lot of the opinions, but they're impossible to see anywhere but the website and the website does its best to hide them now to.

Nothing seems to have happened to the member reviews for me. They're there like they've always been, immediately under the poster on the title's page. I did look at one title that I'd have expected to have some reviews (The Act of Killing Director's Cut) and there were none, but the Director's Cut of that is recent addition; the Theatrical Cut has 145 member reviews.

post #1998 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

They have tried hiding them ever since deemhphasizing the disk side of the business. They are not available on any of their device apps or platforms and by default clicking a movie takes you to the movie in most cases unless you explicitly know where to click to get to it. It makes reviews not only hard to find, but people probably don't even see the page much anymore to leave a review.

Also I don't think it's possible to find a review for movies now that aren't streaming?
post #1999 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Until the 5.5 update the new channel UI took 10-12 seconds to start on Roku 3 and around 30 seconds to start on the HDMI stick. That last was not tolerable so they had to do something. Now it takes about 2 seconds to start on either device. You barely glimpse the splash screen before the menu appears, exactly where you left off. If you'd been browsing the episode list of a series when you hit home, you'll return to there, with the same episode selected. If you'd scrolled around in several genre rows, they'll all be aligned exactly as they were when you exited.
I agree the Netflix app starts instanly on my Roku 3 however it does lag very much. If I go and do a search then back out and try to navigate it is so slow and lags so much. However when I go to watch something it plays great. The PS3 Netflix app does not lag at all. Looks the same but performance is worse. I often have to restart a video several times one time 8 times to get to even lock into 480p. Then when it does ramp up to Super HD or 720p HD those few programs like Phineas and Ferb half way though the program it might drop down to 480p then down to that horrible 240p. Also I done this during the day when I have no congestion when I can even play flawless on my ATV3 and Fire TV. My Roku 3 maintains a HD picture most of the time even during the evenings while the other devices struggle.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #2000 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I agree the Netflix app starts instanly on my Roku 3 however it does lag very much.

Rokus have always been a bit laggy in response to IR commands, not just in Netflix, but everywhere. Try its actual RF (WiFi Direct) remote or the IP remote Android or iOS app and there's virtually no lag.

The IR lag doesn't bother me.

post #2001 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
They have tried hiding them ever since deemhphasizing the disk side of the business. They are not available on any of their device apps or platforms and by default clicking a movie takes you to the movie in most cases unless you explicitly know where to click to get to it.

You just mouse over the title's poster thumb and click the title on the pop-up description to get to its page. It's not difficult to figure out. (You can also search for the title and click on its result). I don't think that they're purposely trying to hide user reviews, even if the UI makes it slightly harder to get to where you can see them. If they didn't want people to see them they could easily take them out; not all of the competitors have them at all.

Do you know of any other streaming service with user reviews visible anywhere but their web pages (if they have user reviews at all)?

post #2002 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Rokus have always been a bit laggy in response to IR commands, not just in Netflix, but everywhere. Try its actual RF (WiFi Direct) remote or the IP remote Android or iOS app and there's virtually no lag.

The IR lag doesn't bother me.
I am using the WiFi Direct remote which came with the Roku 3. I am taking about app lag like jittery scrolling however it still streams fine so it does not matter much.

Earthlink Standard powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim, Sony S5100 all Wired. Chromecast Wireless.
Toshiba 39L2300U 39-Inch 1080p. Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and
Nexus 7 (2013).
Cats are the best pets.
post #2003 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM

No lag at all on my Roku remote. Directv drives me nuts though.

Memphis Home Builder
post #2004 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
I am using the WiFi Direct remote which came with the Roku 3. I am taking about app lag like jittery scrolling however it still streams fine so it does not matter much.

Something's wrong--no lag for me using either the WiFi Direct or IP remote app.
post #2005 of 2008 Unread 07-20-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool link called "can I stream it "

Quote:
They have tried hiding them ever since deemhphasizing the disk side of the business. They are not available on any of their device apps or platforms and by default clicking a movie takes you to the movie in most cases unless you explicitly know where to click to get to it. It makes reviews not only hard to find, but people probably don't even see the page much anymore to leave a review.

Also I don't think it's possible to find a review for movies now that aren't streaming?
Cool link called "can I stream it " shows availability on all the major services for disc rental ,digital rental,streaming
including Netflix and Amazon ,Vudu ,Red Box Instant , CATV/Xfinity (other CATV channels HBO etc, etc .
has e mail availability reminders you can enable

You can filter the page results by provider , type of media has searchable results and displays whats new tiles by provider ,embedded IMDb synopsis and star rating movie tile can link directly to your provider you can play Netflix,Amazon etc from there Tiles also direct Link to IMDb Tile

No Roku channel for this service though only PC good to seach for movies avaiable to stream,or rent both virtual and physical across providers or specific providers
mlmcgahee likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-21-2014 at 01:47 AM.
post #2006 of 2008 Unread 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM

Showtime Anytime has to be the worst channel on Roku-I can see why Apple tv won't pick it up. It is the only channel I've ever had a problem with constantly buffering on either my Roku or Apple. I get about 35 Mbps Comcast service just outside Memphis.

Memphis Home Builder
post #2007 of 2008 Unread 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Cool link called "can I stream it " shows availability on all the major services for disc rental ,digital rental,streaming including Netflix and Amazon, Vudu ,Red Box Instant , CATV/Xfinity (other CATV channels HBO etc, etc. has e mail availability reminders you can enable

You can filter the page results by provider, type of media has searchable results and displays whats new tiles by provider ,embedded IMDb synopsis and star rating movie tile can link directly to your provider you can play Netflix, Amazon etc from there. Tiles also direct Link to IMDb Tile.

No Roku channel for this service though only PC good to search for movies available to stream,or rent both virtual and physical across providers or specific providers
Neat link, but service is incomplete. There are movies I know that are available on VUDU that don't show on a search. More work to be done here.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #2008 of 2008 Unread Yesterday, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Showtime Anytime has to be the worst channel on Roku-I can see why Apple tv won't pick it up. It is the only channel I've ever had a problem with constantly buffering on either my Roku or Apple. I get about 35 Mbps Comcast service just outside Memphis.
Am I the only one that has a major problem with this channel?

Memphis Home Builder
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List