*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 73 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomess023 View Post
Have a Roku 3 with a panasonic st50 TV. Why is the screen blurry when setting to 1080p? Menus included
Ok, a Roku 3 with a blurry image and menu. This happens to mine somewhat regularly and I don't know why. I have a fix that works every time for me. You need to reboot the device.

Unplug the Roku from the electrical connection. I just pull the power plug out of the back of the Roku. After unplugging, wait a minute. Then plug it back in. It will then go through a rebooting process and afterwards everything will be focused properly with no blurry.

If that doesn't work, post again in this thread for more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigpatterson View Post
I have a bad remote that does not want to pair with a ROKU 3. Customer support gave me a run around. Any ideas to resolve the pairing issue?
Ok, a Roku 3 remote that isn't pairing with the unit. First, try this. Remove the batteries from the remote. Then wait a minute. Then put the batteries back in and give it a try. If you think your batteries might be dead, try another pair that have a charge.

If that doesn't work, post again in this thread for more help.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigpatterson View Post
I have a bad remote that does not want to pair with a ROKU 3. Customer support gave me a run around. Any ideas to resolve the pairing issue?
Usually, if you remove the batteries then put them back in, then press the reset button under the battery cover, within a moment or two the Roku will 'discover' the remote and offer to pair it.

If you try that a couple of times and it doesn't work, the remote (or less likely, the Roku) is defective.

I did have one here that was eating a pair of batteries every two days. When I called support and described the problem, they sent me a new one right away.

Last edited by DougDingle; 12-02-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Added that it's slightly possible the Roku might be defective if it fails to pair).
Old 12-02-2014, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post
Hey, the first rule about Usenet is, you don't talk about Usenet!
<cough> nzbDrone <cough>

Scott
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Multiple rokus.

I have a uk roku (its branded now tv) and a roku 3 on one tv. I have a uk roku and roku 2 on another tv.

IS there any way to set the remote ID's so that remotes aren't operating multiple rokus at once?

Thanks.

I want to die in my sleep like grandpa... not kicking and screaming like the people in his car.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Roku 3 user here.

From doing some reading on the site I've concluded the best bit-rate I can get for Pandora through the Roku 3 is 128K mp3. Even with the subscription from Pandora. Is that right?

I'd pay the Pandora subscription fee for no ads and the 192K bit-rate, but it doesn't look like that will be possible through the Roku 3 or any device (only via computer web browser).

As an alternative, could I run Pandora on my computer workstation and then through a wireless HDMI device stream 192K to my receiver? Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
R3 and NHL Game Center issues

Last year I had Center Ice but this year switched to Game Center due to Verizons price gouging.
I have FIOS 35/35 internet that is hard wired to the R3. I constantly run into issues of poor picture quality, error messages while viewing and 'please wait, loading' messages while watching games. I have even tested it when the R3 is the only device in my house accessing the internet.
I do not have these issues when using my wireless connected laptop, iPads (2), new iPhone and a Sony wifi BR player, so I believe the issue is with the NHL app. When the thing is working right you can't tell the difference between that and a broadcast game.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasko View Post
Last year I had Center Ice but this year switched to Game Center due to Verizons price gouging.
I have FIOS 35/35 internet that is hard wired to the R3. I constantly run into issues of poor picture quality, error messages while viewing and 'please wait, loading' messages while watching games. I have even tested it when the R3 is the only device in my house accessing the internet.
I do not have these issues when using my wireless connected laptop, iPads (2), new iPhone and a Sony wifi BR player, so I believe the issue is with the NHL app. When the thing is working right you can't tell the difference between that and a broadcast game.
Have you tried removing the app and re-installing it?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 AM

Reply from NHL Game Center

Thank you for contacting NHL GameCenter Live Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience, our development team is aware of some customers experiencing what you have described, and we expect an update will be published for your app soon. In the meantime, please access using any other supported device or your computer.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasko View Post
Response from NHL GC

Thank you for contacting NHL GameCenter Live Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience, our development team is aware of some customers experiencing what you have described, and we expect an update will be published for your app soon. In the meantime, please access using any other supported device or your computer.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Roku 3 on sale from Roku themselves

For anyone interested, the Roku 3 price from Roku has temporarily dropped to $79.99 with free shipping. This week only, through Saturday, according to the site.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
For anyone interested, the Roku 3 price from Roku has temporarily dropped to $79.99 with free shipping. This week only, through Saturday, according to the site.

A 20 month old product still selling at its introductory price . They should be ashamed to have not launched something superior by now.
ToonMasterTim likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
A 20 month old product still selling at its introductory price . They should be ashamed to have not launched something superior by now.
I know, right? I'm assuming they will have something at CES. I'm hoping for a box that supports 4K and better audio.

Scott
Old 12-09-2014, 06:25 PM

I have two Roku 3 boxes: one serving my living room with a feed to my kitchen/dining area and one serving my family room. They are the primary source component in both locations. The Roku boxes are the primary interface for our quad-tuner Tablo DVR and my Plex Media Server and we subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Drama Fever and Funimation. We do not currently have (or need) a cable TV subscription. While I do own roughly 900 DVDs and 300 Blu-Ray discs, I moved heavily into UltraViolet a few years ago and have been making the vast bulk of new movie purchases there. Between disc-to-digital, third-party UV code stores and movies purchased directly from Vudu, our library is currently running around 620 HDX movie titles as well as a decent number of TV seasons. I like the Roku because it provides a single intuitive interface for nearly all of our media and requires little to no tech support from me. The Tablo combined with Roku is WAY less of a headache than running Windows Media Center and my Plex Server should be nearly zero maintenance once I set up my new NAS. Pervasive media with no headaches.
ToonMasterTim likes this.

Scott
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
I have two Roku 3 boxes: one serving my living room with a feed to my kitchen/dining area and one serving my family room. They are the primary source component in both locations. The Roku boxes are the primary interface for our quad-tuner Tablo DVR and my Plex Media Server and we subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Drama Fever and Funimation. We do not currently have (or need) a cable TV subscription. While I do own roughly 900 DVDs and 300 Blu-Ray discs, I moved heavily into UltraViolet a few years ago and have been making the vast bulk of new movie purchases there. Between disc-to-digital, third-party UV code stores and movies purchased directly from Vudu, our library is currently running around 620 HDX movie titles as well as a decent number of TV seasons. I like the Roku because it provides a single intuitive interface for nearly all of our media and requires little to no tech support from me. The Tablo combined with Roku is WAY less of a headache than running Windows Media Center and my Plex Server should be nearly zero maintenance once I set up my new NAS. Pervasive media with no headaches.
Down to $77.99 at Amazon, it seems.

Two years old or not, I own two 3's and a 2, and I love them to death. If the only thing they had was the TimeWarner app, they would still be worth it. Getting my full channel lineup in perfect HD anywhere in a 3 story house without having to run wires is kinda miraculous.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I would have to agree Doug. I have multiple streaming devices and the Roku 3 is still the best (have multiple BluRay units that can stream, gaming machines that can stream, Apple TV - both older and the new ATV3). We have 4 Roku 3's and 3 Roku 2 XS. Roku just has so many more Apps and even though not that new, still can stream like any other streamer in it's price range/class. I agree it's time for an update, but I'd like to hear what's out there for the competition. Unfortunately, there is no streamer that can do everything perfectly. For us, we use HULU Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, Pandora, and a few other Apps on a regular basis. The Roku 3 works well for us with no issues at all.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Old 12-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A question for those of you with multiple Rokus. Can you copy your downloads and channel setups, like logons and passwords, from one box to a new box, or do they each require a new setup? I have a Roku 3, and am considering a 2nd one, but to have to redo all the channels isn't appealing.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Your Roku channels will copy over- but the channel settings won't. e.g. if you've selected Pandora on the old Roku, the channel will show on the new one after you signed in / registered with your Roku account. But you still have to enter your Pandora account credentials on the new Roku.
balboa dave likes this.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
Your Roku channels will copy over- but the channel settings won't. e.g. if you've selected Pandora on the old Roku, the channel will show on the new one after you signed in / registered with your Roku account. But you still have to enter your Pandora account credentials on the new Roku.
Thanks.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 108
It's a pretty painless process. Like stated, all your channels migrate to all register Rokus (under the same account) but you'll have to sign into each app with their individual accounts (i.e. Hulu, Netflix, etc.).

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Down to $77.99 at Amazon, it seems.

Two years old or not, I own two 3's and a 2, and I love them to death. If the only thing they had was the TimeWarner app, they would still be worth it. Getting my full channel lineup in perfect HD anywhere in a 3 story house without having to run wires is kinda miraculous.
I have a Roku 2 XS. What advantages does the Roku 3 offer besides the headphone jack (which I don't use)?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
I know, right? I'm assuming they will have something at CES. I'm hoping for a box that supports 4K and better audio.
Not to mention, and a streaming codec of the future, or two would be nice. However I'm not sure there is a chipset released as of yet that would warrant a Roku 4, at least I have not seen one worthy enough yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I have a Roku 2 XS. What advantages does the Roku 3 offer besides the headphone jack (which I don't use)?
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=64794&start=0

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 12-10-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^^
Thanks. I don't see any advantage to buying the 3.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
^^
For me, the big advantage of the 3 is the dual band wi-fi. I have the Roku 3 on the 5 gig band, everything else on the 2.4 gig, and the improvement in streaming without buffering and the quality of the image from being able to isolate it that way with greater available bandwidth was kinda dramatic. If you're happy with what you have, I see no reason to change.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 953
For me, the advantage was wired Ethernet; if I can help it, I only use WiFi for phones and tablets.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 12-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
For me, the advantage was wired Ethernet; if I can help it, I only use WiFi for phones and tablets.
The 2XS also has wired Ethernet. It and the 3 are the only two that do. The performance using wired is outstanding.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I agree, I spent hours under the house wiring it up with CAT6 to every room in 2012. If anyone here ever enables the WIFI on these R3's I won't be happy, lol. I hope CAT6 will be good enough for many years to come.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
^^
Better Netflix channel/app, faster YouTube and Hulu Plus channels. And fewer reboots. I still have a 2 XS, it's tied to the mstr bdrm TV, and I hate using it compared to my Roku 3s and my Fire TVs

If you can get a refurb 3 for $60, jump on it. (good chance during the holidays)
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
I agree, I spent hours under the house wiring it up with CAT6 to every room in 2012. If anyone here ever enables the WIFI on these R3's I won't be happy, lol. I hope CAT6 will be good enough for many years to come.
Interestingly, the wi-fi sniffer I have on my phone says that the two Roku 3's I have hardwired to my network continue to spew on the 2.4Gig band regardless, adding to the congestion and RF pollution.

Why Roku can't turn that off when it detects a wired connection is beyond me. It would be stupidly simple to do.

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player