Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
post #2191 of 2218 Old 12-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hmm, I'm not sure. Yours keeps the wifi on? I don't use one of these myself but I can go check real quick..

EDIT: OK, well the WiFi sniffer app on my Nexus 7 did NOT see the Roku's, not any part of them, until AFTER I selected the WiFi setting inside the R3 menu. Not positive, but this seems to suggest the radios were indeed off.

Last edited by SkOrPn; 12-10-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2218 Old 12-10-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure. Yours keeps the wifi on? I don't use one of these myself but I can go check real quick..

EDIT: OK, well the WiFi sniffer app on my Nexus 7 did NOT see the Roku's, not any part of them, until AFTER I selected the WiFi setting inside the R3 menu. Not positive, but this seems to suggest the radios were indeed off.
It does suggest that, which is strange because using two different apps, one called WiFi Analyzer the other WiFi Manager on my Samsung Note2 shows both my Roku 3's, connected hardwire, to have a strong presence in the 2.4 gig band...

Last edited by DougDingle; 12-10-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added names of WiFi sniffers used
post #2193 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
It does suggest that, which is strange because using two different apps, one called WiFi Analyzer the other WiFi Manager on my Samsung Note2 shows both my Roku 3's, connected hardwire, to have a strong presence in the 2.4 gig band...
If you are seeing DIRECT-roku-xxx on your wifi network, that is actually the access for the wifi direct remote to communicate with the Roku.
post #2194 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
Better Netflix channel/app, faster YouTube and Hulu Plus channels. And fewer reboots. I still have a 2 XS, it's tied to the mstr bdrm TV, and I hate using it compared to my Roku 3s and my Fire TVs

If you can get a refurb 3 for $60, jump on it. (good chance during the holidays)
Thanks to all for the info on the 3. Since I use a wired connection, the dual band wifi feature on the 3 is not relevant to me. I have the latest Netflix app on my Oppo player (including profiles), and the Youtube app there is very easy to use (especially when controlled with my iPhone youtube app, which works the same on the 2 XS).

So I guess I'll pass on the 3. If the Oppo had an Amazon Prime app, I wouldn't need a Roku at all.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #2195 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I try to keep fixed position devices like Roku boxes off my WiFi to the greatest extent possible. Right now, I am using a 500Mb Power Line Network, because I am in a rented house that would be miserable to wire. It works fairly well, but I do have to reboot the system by yanking and re-plugging the main module at my router at least a couple times a week. That is very annoying when it happens in mid-movie, so I am thinking about poking a small hole in the wall between my office and living room to at least get a hard-wired connection with my main system.

Scott
post #2196 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post
If you are seeing DIRECT-roku-xxx on your wifi network, that is actually the access for the wifi direct remote to communicate with the Roku.
Yes, that is exactly what I am seeing.

But that's also what I'm seeing from the one that is wireless at 5Ghz, and I know that's not its remote because it's on channel 149, where I put the router.

Also, I was under the impression that the remotes were Bluetooth and would not show up in a wifi scan.
post #2197 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I am seeing.

But that's also what I'm seeing from the one that is wireless at 5Ghz, and I know that's not its remote because it's on channel 149, where I put the router.

Also, I was under the impression that the remotes were Bluetooth and would not show up in a wifi scan.
Refer http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55027
post #2198 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Interesting thread, although a little scary in some aspects. Takeaway is that the Roku is spewing stuff constantly, and for many can affect the entire wireless network's access speeds.

When I have a Roku3 hardwired to a switch, I just don't see the need for it to be spewing a strong signal that I can see on a sniffer three rooms away. It's not rational to expect someone buying the device to be a wireless networking guru and come up with all sorts of workarounds to keep the thing from degrading wireless access speeds. That's just wrong.

At the very least, the built in wireless device should have its output RF significantly reduced if it detects a wired network connection. How much remote range do we need?
post #2199 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
That would make sense, my family is not using the remotes that came with them, only their Harmonies.
post #2200 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood Jablomi View Post
... so I am thinking about poking a small hole in the wall between my office and living room to at least get a hard-wired connection with my main system.
Slightly off topic, but because I don't have a ethernet plug crimper to make a tiny hole, I have pulled the trim off at the floor level and put the hole there where it is easier to cover/repair later. For the WAF, I bought some temporary trim (saving the original piece(s) to return at the end).

v/r,
C-F
post #2201 of 2218 Old 12-11-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Slightly off topic, but because I don't have a ethernet plug crimper to make a tiny hole, I have pulled the trim off at the floor level and put the hole there where it is easier to cover/repair later. For the WAF, I bought some temporary trim (saving the original piece(s) to return at the end).

v/r,
C-F
I would cause more damage by removing the rather large trim than poking a hole and putting in wall plates.

Scott
post #2202 of 2218 Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I took "poking a small hole" to mean you were not really authorized to make changes ... If they will let you put in wall plates, then by all means.

v/r,
C-F
post #2203 of 2218 Old 12-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I took "poking a small hole" to mean you were not really authorized to make changes ... If they will let you put in wall plates, then by all means.

v/r,
C-F
I may have to remove them and fill the holes, but that is not hard. I am going to use wall plates to make the job look professional enough that I can probably just leave it there when I move out.

Scott
post #2204 of 2218 Old 12-12-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Understood, good luck. I just preferred to skip any questions and hid it under the trim.

v/r,
C-F
post #2205 of 2218 Old 12-12-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Understood, good luck. I just preferred to skip any questions and hid it under the trim.

v/r,
C-F
I would do that, but the way the trim is installed in this house would make it very tricky to pull off without doing damage. It would be one thing if they were fairly typical cheap baseboards, but they are tall baseboards that look like they may be constructed in two pieces and which are caulked and painted in a way that would make it way more effort than filling a hole.

Scott
post #2206 of 2218 Old 12-13-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Friend, I got it - you only want to do it your way. It was just a potentially helpful suggestion that has worked for me and others. There is no further need to tell me how wrong it is for you...

Sorry to everyone else,

C-F out.
post #2207 of 2218 Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 AM

I've done it your way. I did that all over the place in my house in Florida and it works very well. It just doesn't work HERE. No need to get pissy about it.

Scott
post #2208 of 2218 Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
A 20 month old product still selling at its introductory price . They should be ashamed to have not launched something superior by now.
HAs it really been that long? I got a Roku3 when they first launched. But because of the WiFi Direct crap remote that can screw with high bandwidth wifi(when using the wireless connection), I never got any more Roku3 boxes and instead decided to keep my other Roku2 boxes.

I have to force the Roku 3 to use an unused channel for the Wi-Fi direct remote. But if you use the wireless network connection, the WiFi direct connection to the remote will use the same channel and frequency. WHich makes the AP drop down to the 20Mhz bandwidth option instead of the 40Mhz which I normally use. Which cuts the available bandwidth in half.
reddice likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-13-2014 at 11:58 AM.
post #2209 of 2218 Old 12-14-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 112
What's the resolution on M-GO movies, and does it support 5.1 audio?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #2210 of 2218 Old 12-14-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
What's the resolution on M-GO movies, and does it support 5.1 audio?

1080p and yes. They're introducing UHD video as an exclusive to their Samsung apps (Samsung has been very aggressively garnering exclusive UHD services).
pbarach likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2211 of 2218 Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Is anybody using the Plex app to stream music? I am wondering if Plex stream music "gapless".
post #2212 of 2218 Unread Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Roku 3. A very nice device to stream Netflix, very fast! Been contemplating whether to get this or Apple TV but I guess this worked pretty nice. The only thing I'm not happy with the Roku is that it wont stream (dlna) personal file from a pc like my Western Digital Live HUB TV. Should of known better before I buy, but then I still have at least 14 days to make up my mind.

I discovered something new...
The unit worked great but something was wrong with the remote. The toggle switch was 'sticky' which made it very unpleasant to use so therefore I made an exchange. I realized there is also a slightly newer packaging (see pics) and the remote is different from the first one...

Original: Comes with Duracell batteries. Compare the box and remote with the newer one.

Original: Remote like everyone else's....

Exchanged unit: Newer packaging...as you can see the headphones are pictured towards the bottom/right and the print is 'embossed', it is 'raised' and the remote is different with shortcut keys. No more Duracell batteries, it came with some unknown AA alkaline cell.

Newer remote with shortcut keys to Netflix, Amazon, etc...

I might return this and buy a Blu-Ray instead since it doesn't stream personal files through dlna.
post #2213 of 2218 Unread Today, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
...it doesn't stream personal files through dlna.

There are over a 1000 "channels" (apps) for Rokus; at least one of them is a DLNA player, the Roku Media Player channel. It plays various kind of files from DLNA servers and USB drives. See this for some information on what it can handle. It's a free app from Roku; if it's not on your device by default, click "Add Channel" on its page or look it up on the device via the Channel Store.

Something else which is very popular for this purpose is the Plex channel; I don't know whether it's DLNA based or not (I don't use DLNA). There are others--see the results of a search of all Roku channels for "media" here.

post #2214 of 2218 Unread Today, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
There are over a 1000 "channels" (apps) for Rokus; at least one of them is a DLNA player, the Roku Media Player channel. It plays various kind of files from DLNA servers and USB drives. See this for some information on what it can handle. It's a free app from Roku; if it's not on your device by default, click "Add Channel" on its page or look it up on the device via the Channel Store.

Something else which is very popular for this purpose is the Plex channel; I don't know whether it's DLNA based or not (I don't use DLNA). There are others--see the results of a search of all Roku channels for "media" here.
I've tried Roku Media, MyMedia, Plex and a few others but unfortunately they all fell short. Roku Media came close but were only able to recognize 9 out of the hundreds of files. The folder structure is also very unorganized unlike my WDTV Live HUB but unfortunately the WD sucks at streaming Netflix, not to mention lags big time! While the Roku 3 performs excellent with Netflix streaming, I also didn't like how the screen shrinks (and recommendations of others) at the ending of each movie during 'end credits'. Some movies have surprise clips towards the the very ending and Roku just ruins the whole experience. Unfortunately there is NO way of getting around this. Will be returning this for a nice BD Player - which I think most can handle DLNA.
post #2215 of 2218 Unread Today, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
While the Roku 3 performs excellent with Netflix streaming, I also didn't like how the screen shrinks (and recommendations of others) at the ending of each movie during 'end credits'. Some movies have surprise clips towards the the very ending and Roku just ruins the whole experience. Unfortunately there is NO way of getting around this.

That's what Netflix calls "the Post-play experience" and has been implemented in some form or another in nearly every Netflix player app. Most Netflix player apps in devices launched in the past few years are written in web authoring languages, principally JavaScript, running in a kind of "mini browser". The UI on my WD TV Live Streaming is this one; it's probably the same as the app on your TV Live Hub. It looks and works the same because it's 99% the same code. They download it dynamically when the app starts, which is why it takes so long on most platforms. The advantage for them is that they can make major changes in the look and function of the UI without requiring an OEM firmware update for the device, which happen infrequently and not at all a year or two after a given model has been on the market. The disadvantage is that most embedded platforms have minimal processors and run that "mini browser" stack slowly.

The UI on Roku 3 is this one, which runs on a rendering/layout engine of Netflix's own design, pared down and optimized for their application (the old UI is mounted on a more generic platform called Webkit, which has code for lots of functionality which their app never uses). Most of my devices with Netflix player apps have that UI now: TiVo Roamio and Premiere, Roku 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, Fire TV and this smart TV (my BDPs and TV Live still have that old UI). It runs smoothly on Roku 3 because it has a fairly fast processor. Netflix and Roku did a lot of special work to make it start instantly on Roku 3 and the Roku HDMI Streaming Stick (its start-up time on the stick, whose processor is much slower than Roku 3's, was initially horrible).

Quote:
Will be returning this for a nice BD Player - which I think most can handle DLNA.

Good luck. I think that you'll find that most BDPs handle DLNA poorly. It's a rudimentary convenience function thrown in as a bullet point in the product feature list that their developers don't pour much effort into. You're not likely to find one device which does everything well. Some are good file players like WD TV and some are good streamers like Roku (the newest version of TV Live doesn't even feature a Netflix app, advertising "you don't need another Netflix player" ). Other than perhaps HTPCs, nothing does both things equally well.

BTW, some 2 years, 4 months after introducing Post-play, Netflix appears to be addressing customer complaints about Post-play interfering with credits viewing. On my Roku 3, Netflix now lets credits roll to the end before the Post-play dialog pops up; if you press STOP or UP while watching the credits, it pauses the credits and brings up the dialog then; if you did it by accident you can blow the credits back up full-screen and start them without missing anything. Apparently it doesn't work that way on all Roku 3s and HDMI Sticks yet; their architecture allows them to try out multiple versions on different instances of the same product model. (Some of my other devices never did the automatic shrinking thing at the start of the credits, working similar to what they're starting to do on Roku now).

post #2216 of 2218 Unread Today, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

^^Thanks. I didn't know about the post-play thing, gonna try it out and see. If it goes well then I might keep the Roku and have my LIVE HUB plugged in for DLNA sources because so far, it is the only known device that seems to work flawlessly handling such task. I was gonna fork out a good sum for either an Oppo BDP-103 or one of the equivalent Denon or Marantz players. I guess on the plus side I'll be able to play some old DVD and Blu-Ray discs - which I don't have a whole bunch.
post #2217 of 2218 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
^^Thanks. I didn't know about the post-play thing, gonna try it out and see. If it goes well then I might keep the Roku and have my LIVE HUB plugged in for DLNA sources because so far, it is the only known device that seems to work flawlessly handling such task. I was gonna fork out a good sum for either an Oppo BDP-103 or one of the equivalent Denon or Marantz players. I guess on the plus side I'll be able to play some old DVD and Blu-Ray discs - which I don't have a whole bunch.
The Oppo BDP-103D has been an outstanding media player for me, playing just about every file type I've thrown at it. I don't use it as a DLNA client, though it can be used as such, I use it with its SMB file sharing capability and it plays flawlessly - just about any video file that is not an ISO, including full bitrate BD rips with hi-res audio formats. You might check out the Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread.

The Oppo is also pretty good at playing shiny discs as well!
post #2218 of 2218 Unread Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Still rather have a Popcorn Hour.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page