*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 76 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
sjm817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Anyone with Amazon instant video experience on Roku 3?

I have amazon instant video on my samsung plasma but it looses connection a lot... so I'm thinking about getting Roku 3 for watching Amazon instant video... but I'm wondering if Amazon just sucks or if it's my TV?

Any alternatives to Roku for using spotify + amazon instant tv?
I use Amazon on a wired Samsung 60F8500 and it works great. For Spotify, I'm really enjoying Spotify Connect streamed directly to my Sony AVR. No TV/display device needed. Spotify app on the ipad/iphone is the "remote control".
sjm817 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
lflorack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hilton, NY
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Anyone with Amazon instant video experience on Roku 3?

I have amazon instant video on my samsung plasma but it looses connection a lot... so I'm thinking about getting Roku 3 for watching Amazon instant video... but I'm wondering if Amazon just sucks or if it's my TV?

Any alternatives to Roku for using spotify + amazon instant tv?
I have a Roku3 and it works fine for me with a wired connection which is at 30 Mb/s. I also does 1080P and DD+ through HDMI. No drops. It's most likely your TV's app.

Links: My System Diagram / My System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireTV Stick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.
lflorack is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 06:26 AM
FX4
Member
 
FX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Amazon has been streaming 1080P for quite a while now. Back in early 2013 or something like that. According to the website they will be offering 4k soon.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/netflix-...ews-17838.html

Last edited by FX4; 01-02-2015 at 07:04 AM.
FX4 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
sjm817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I have a Roku3 and it works fine for me with a wired connection which is at 30 Mb/s. I also does 1080P and DD+ through HDMI. No drops. It's most likely your TV's app.
More likely WiFi Vs wired connection.
sjm817 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
lflorack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hilton, NY
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
More likely WiFi Vs wired connection.
Generally, that's very true. However, I did run this same set up wirelessly for a while and I didn't have issues with Amazon and Roku3 then either.


Edit: I also run a Roku 2 (XD) wirelessly in another room without Amazon (or any other) issues.

Links: My System Diagram / My System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireTV Stick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.
lflorack is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
sjm817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
Generally, that's very true. However, I did run this same set up wirelessly for a while and I didn't have issues with Amazon and Roku3 then either.


Edit: I also run a Roku 2 (XD) wirelessly in another room without Amazon (or any other) issues.
I was more referring to the guy with the Samsung TV. His Wifi environment is not the same as yours or anyone elses. Wired will always be better. Wireless can be fine, but everyones environment is different. Amazon on my Samsung TV works just fine (wired).
sjm817 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I have a Roku3 and it works fine for me with a wired connection which is at 30 Mb/s. I also does 1080P and DD+ through HDMI. No drops. It's most likely your TV's app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
Amazon has been streaming 1080P for quite a while now. Back in early 2013 or something like that. According to the website they will be offering 4k soon.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/netflix-...ews-17838.html
I was looking at the Amazon fire as well... a user pointed out their forum that when playing amazon content it's @ 720 p HD, because it needs 50 mbps to play 1080p content which seems strange to me. I have 22 mbps... so I'm not sure what the Roku would choose as my resolution. I was looking at the specs and it looks like amazon fire is better... but I don't know much about these devices or the issues... I browsed through this forum and it seems you can't do 24 framerate and RGB only output on the Roku 3?

I'm gonna go out and buy it today so if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions let me know
Aras_Volodka is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
I was more referring to the guy with the Samsung TV. His Wifi environment is not the same as yours or anyone elses. Wired will always be better. Wireless can be fine, but everyones environment is different. Amazon on my Samsung TV works just fine (wired).
My setup is wired... I guess we'll see what happens when I start using the Fire or Roku.
Aras_Volodka is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
sjm817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
My setup is wired... I guess we'll see what happens when I start using the Fire or Roku.
I'm a big fan of the new world with streaming services. Physical media's days are numbered IMO. The flip side is we now have another layer of troubleshooting to deal with. Generally, a wired connection will be more reliable than wireless, but it can also have issues (auto negotiation as an example), a marginal cable as another. Once local network connectivity is solid, then there is the connection to the net, and the provider can also have hiccups. On top of all that yes, app quality is there too. In your case, is it just Amazon or do others such as Netflix, Vudu have issues?
sjm817 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Physical media's days are numbered IMO.
I don't know about that... streaming isn't nearly the quality of a bd disc. It depends on what happens with 4k, which I think is going to be a disaster for all media in 2015/2016. I think in 3 or 4 years if the BD disc association can get a spec with HDR and 20/20-ish color spec... then streaming wouldn't beable to handle that unless most places get google fiber or if people plan to download before they watch.

The only reason I'm getting this player is to watch stuff that's only on Amazon or to listen to spotify... but it looks like you still need a phone to use spotify? I don't have a tablet or an internet capable phone

My oppo can play all the other services so it's only Amazon I've had to watch through the TV. Everything works great through the Oppo wired so it's either the TV or the ap.
lflorack likes this.
Aras_Volodka is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
lflorack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hilton, NY
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I don't know about that... streaming isn't nearly the quality of a bd disc.

I agree that streaming can't match BD - either in VQ or SQ. However, for many (the majority?), that doesn't matter a lot because streaming is much more convenient - and it's "good enough". Although there's no question it's more convenient, there's also no question that SQ and PQ are better with physical disk (BD for now). However, it's a matter of opinion if it's good enough or not.


Anyway, now back to the Roku3 discussion. I love mine for the convenience and huge library of items to watch/listen to -- I just don't favorably compare it to BD's.

Links: My System Diagram / My System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireTV Stick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.
lflorack is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
sjm817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I don't know about that... streaming isn't nearly the quality of a bd disc. It depends on what happens with 4k, which I think is going to be a disaster for all media in 2015/2016. I think in 3 or 4 years if the BD disc association can get a spec with HDR and 20/20-ish color spec... then streaming wouldn't beable to handle that unless most places get google fiber or if people plan to download before they watch.

The only reason I'm getting this player is to watch stuff that's only on Amazon or to listen to spotify... but it looks like you still need a phone to use spotify? I don't have a tablet or an internet capable phone

My oppo can play all the other services so it's only Amazon I've had to watch through the TV. Everything works great through the Oppo wired so it's either the TV or the ap.
Technology keeps moving on. Mfgrs need something new for us to buy to keep selling product. 3D was a bust. Now 4K is the new reason to buy new TVs, disc players and media. Some will adopt it, most will not. A look at disc based media sales of any type shows a steady decline. For most, what is available via streaming is "good enough". The convenience of streaming services can not be denied.

For Spotify, no you dont need a smartphone. There are lots of ways to get it. PC, Smart TV or most any streaming device, and AVRs via app or connect. The thing is, from what I have seen the "Smart" Apps are very crippled in functionality compared to mobile device apps and the PC app. If you use a smart app such as roku, I think the best bet would be to build your playlist content via your PC, and then it will be listed under the roku app playlist. The other way would be to use a PC to stream it to the AVR with bluetooth or airplay if you have a Mac.
sjm817 is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I agree that streaming can't match BD - either in VQ or SQ. However, for many (the majority?), that doesn't matter a lot because streaming is much more convenient - and it's "good enough". Although there's no question it's more convenient, there's also no question that SQ and PQ are better with physical disk (BD for now). However, it's a matter of opinion if it's good enough or not.


Anyway, now back to the Roku3 discussion. I love mine for the convenience and huge library of items to watch/listen to -- I just don't favorably compare it to BD's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Technology keeps moving on. Mfgrs need something new for us to buy to keep selling product. 3D was a bust. Now 4K is the new reason to buy new TVs, disc players and media. Some will adopt it, most will not. A look at disc based media sales of any type shows a steady decline. For most, what is available via streaming is "good enough". The convenience of streaming services can not be denied.

For Spotify, no you dont need a smartphone. There are lots of ways to get it. PC, Smart TV or most any streaming device, and AVRs via app or connect. The thing is, from what I have seen the "Smart" Apps are very crippled in functionality compared to mobile device apps and the PC app. If you use a smart app such as roku, I think the best bet would be to build your playlist content via your PC, and then it will be listed under the roku app playlist. The other way would be to use a PC to stream it to the AVR with bluetooth or airplay if you have a Mac.
Cool thanks guys... did you do any comparisons with Amazon fire TV? I'm wondering what the pros & cons are of one player vs. another.

True the discs are on decline... and yes I think people will go with convenience over quality unfortunately. I do think discs will be a thing of the past within 10 years possibly. Being a PC gamer I can't say I really miss having to go to the store to buy a physical disc, though I do like looking at my bookshelf full of blurays

One thing that makes me nervous about online only would be what happens to purchased content if that provider goes under? Although I guess I've re-purchased all the films I care about on BD... ugh.
Aras_Volodka is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I agree that streaming can't match BD - either in VQ or SQ. However, for many (the majority?), that doesn't matter a lot because streaming is much more convenient - and it's "good enough". Although there's no question it's more convenient, there's also no question that SQ and PQ are better with physical disk (BD for now). However, it's a matter of opinion if it's good enough or not.


Anyway, now back to the Roku3 discussion. I love mine for the convenience and huge library of items to watch/listen to -- I just don't favorably compare it to BD's.
The easy way for Spotify would be to use a Facebook account as your ID then build playlists, saved songs etc on laptop or PC and use on Roku app. You even get artwork.
Gary J is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
My setup is wired... I guess we'll see what happens when I start using the Fire or Roku.
It shouldn't make any difference as long as the WiFi network is setup properly. All of my streaming devices, that can also use a wireless connection, perform the same whether wired or wireless. There is no problem streaming 1080P from Amazon, Netflix, or Vudu since the bitrates for all of the streaming apps are so low.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
lflorack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hilton, NY
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Cool thanks guys... did you do any comparisons with Amazon fire TV? I'm wondering what the pros & cons are of one player vs. another.

In my Family Room/Home Theater I have these streaming devices:
  1. Roku3 (and a RokuXD in another room) - If I could only have streaming device, this would be it. It has more access (apps) than the others and it does a good job with all of them.
  2. AppleTV - This is a nice unit and performs well for the access it has. It's main advantages for me are, iTunes access from my PC and online and it allows AirPlay access for my iPhone and iPad. It lacks the huge access of the Roku.
  3. AmazonTV FireStick - The FireStick works well and is written to do very well with Amazon Prime and Amazon music access. I was able to get one of these for $20, so for me it was a no-brainer to buy it. It also provides access the big providers (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, ShoTime Anytime, etc) but many fewer than the Roku. I got this mostly because it was cheap and so I could more easily access Amazon Music. It does that very well - and it includes on-screen lyrics for some of the music. I don't like that it doesn't allow IR or IP access for remotes - only blutooth.
In a nutshell, each of them has something the others do not. For what each of them has access to, they each do a good job. Due to the reasons stated above, I'd choose the Roku first unless one of the other units has a strength you really need or want most.


In addition, I also have streaming capabilities on the following devices:
  • Yamaha Aventage 2010 - My Home Theater AVR handles Pandora which I use because I don't need anything other than the AVR , and Sirius XM - which I don't subscribe to in the house.
  • Oppo BDP-93- I do not use this for streaming very often because I have the numbered items above. It does OK but it has a lot fewer services available and the apps are not as good for those it does have.
  • Samsung UN55B8000 TV - I do not use this for streaming as the numbered items above are far superior in just about every way.

Lee

Links: My System Diagram / My System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireTV Stick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

Last edited by lflorack; 01-02-2015 at 01:37 PM.
lflorack is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Streaming can be the future but nothing will replace physical discs because the number 1 issue with streaming is that content is not on there forever. It eventually expires and then you actually need the discs to continue watching it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-02_152744.png
Views:	25
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	455834  

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - BDPS5200, Fire TV, PS4 Wired. ATV3 Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Fire TV, PS3 Slim Wired
.
Cats are the best pets.

Last edited by reddice; 01-02-2015 at 01:28 PM.
reddice is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 18,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
Amazon has been streaming 1080P for quite a while now. Back in early 2013 or something like that. According to the website they will be offering 4k soon.

Quite true--I can get Amazon 1080p with my TiVos', Xbox One's, Fire TV Stick's (of course) and smart TV's apps. They've been streaming 4K for a month or two now, to LG, Samsung and Sony TVs; an update is coming to bring that to my Vizio 4K smart TV (some people got it and then they stopped rolling it out to fix a minor bug ). I posted yesterday to list Amazon's current 4K offerings here.

Some of my other devices cannot get the Amazon 1080p streams: Panasonic and Sony BDPs, Xbox 360, PS3 (PS3 is supposed to be able to get them but I've never been able to get 1080p with mine). I don't think that Roku's Amazon channel gets 1080p either. Unfortunately there's no objective way to tell with Roku's channel (other than perhaps measuring bandwidth consumption with your router; Amazon 1080p is 10 Mbps whereas their 720p is around 3 Mbps). Most of my other devices have this common Amazon UI (ironically, not Fire TV Stick); in that and the Fire TV UI you can see what resolution you're getting, but not in Roku's.
adun79 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill

Last edited by michaeltscott; 01-02-2015 at 02:02 PM.
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 18,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
In my Family Room/Home Theater I have these streaming devices:
  1. Roku3 (and a RokuXD in another room) - If I could only have streaming device, this would be it. It has more access (apps) than the others and it does a good job with all of them.
  2. AppleTV - This is a nice unit and performs well for the access it has. It's main advantages for me are, iTunes access from my PC and online and it allows AirPlay access for my iPhone and iPad. It lacks the huge access of the Roku.
  3. AmazonTV FireStick - The FireStick works well and is written to do very well with Amazon Prime and Amazon music access. I was able to get one of these for $20, so for me it was a no-brainer to buy it. It also provides access the big providers (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, ShoTime Anytime, etc) but many fewer than the Roku. I got this mostly because it was cheap and so I could more easily access Amazon Music. It does that very well - and it includes on-screen lyrics for some of the music. I don't like that it doesn't allow IR or IP access for remotes - only blutooth.
In a nutshell, each of them has something the others do not. For what each of them has access to, they each do a good job. Due to the reasons stated above, I'd choose the Roku first unless one of the other units has a strength you really need or want most.

One thing which should be pointed out is that Apple TV and Fire TV do not feature any other video rental/purchase services (other than YouTube, and you can't use its embedded UI to browse rentable/purchasable titles). No VUDU or M-GO or CinemaNow, etc, on either and I don't think that you'll ever see them; if you want to buy or rent video on Apple TV or Fire TV, they've got you covered with iTunes and Amazon Instant Video. This wouldn't be so bad except that neither iTunes or AIV have UltraViolet or Disney Watch Anywhere locker access, so if you own UV or Disney titles you can't yet play them on those devices without buying again or renting them. Roku, on the other hand, doesn't have a horse in the streaming video rental/purchase race (though they've sold M-GO some favor) and offers a number of video rental/purchase options.
adun79 likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 18,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post
Streaming can be the future but nothing will replace physical discs because the number 1 issue with streaming is that content is not on there forever. It eventually expires and then you actually need the discs to continue watching it.

But that is the promise, whether it gets lived-up-to or not. I own things on Xbox Video which haven't been offered there for years and I can still play them.
aaronwt likes this.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
Fire TV do not feature any other video rental/purchase services
What are you talking about?
Gary J is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What are you talking about?
No Vudu or MGo, could be others.
Keenan is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 18,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
What are you talking about?

What do you need clarified? Neither Apple TV or Amazon's Fire TV have any service from which to rent or purchase video other than iTunes and Amazon Instant Video, respectively. No VUDU, M-GO, Blockbuster (which still exists on Roku), Google Play Video, CinemaNow, etc. You can rent or purchase things from YouTube (or Google Play) on some other device and place them in your YouTube Watch Later list and play them in the YouTube players on ATV or FTV, but you can't use the YouTube app on either to browse rentable/purchasable video. If you want to rent or purchase streaming video on their device, Apple and Amazon (understandably) want you to do it from their streaming video services and don't offer you any alternatives.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
[*]AmazonTV FireStick - The FireStick works well and is written to do very well with Amazon Prime and Amazon music access. I was able to get one of these for $20, so for me it was a no-brainer to buy it. It also provides access the big providers (Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, ShoTime Anytime, etc) but many fewer than the Roku. I got this mostly because it was cheap and so I could more easily access Amazon Music. It does that very well - and it includes on-screen lyrics for some of the music. I don't like that it doesn't allow IR or IP access for remotes - only blutooth.
TY, the other product I'm considering would be the Fire's equivalent of the Roku 3... I think it's just called Amazon fire TV. It seems to have more heavy duty specs, but I'm not sure if that really means much in terms of good delivery. I guess I'll find out soon... I should probably do some more research but I'm impatient... haha.
Aras_Volodka is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I don't think that Roku's Amazon channel gets 1080p either. Unfortunately there's no objective way to tell with Roku's channel (other than perhaps measuring bandwidth consumption with your router; Amazon 1080p is 10 Mbps whereas their 720p is around 3 Mbps).
So are you saying that if I set up the Roku 3 to output 1080, it will scale that down to 720 on the Amazon feed?
DougDingle is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Here is all the video services available on Fire Tv (a lot)

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-stream...ywords=fire+tv
Gary J is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
michaeltscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Posts: 18,616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
So are you saying that if I set up the Roku 3 to output 1080, it will scale that down to 720 on the Amazon feed?

If you set your Roku to output 1080p it will scale all video to 1080p60 on output. I'm saying that I think that Amazon will only give you 720p video with stereo or basic DD 5.1 audio whereas on some other (non-Roku) platforms you get 1080p and DD+ from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Here is all the video services available on Fire Tv (a lot)

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-stream...ywords=fire+tv

Almost none at all when compared to Roku's over a 1000 channels (admittedly mostly crap ). And as I stated none from which to rent or purchase video other than Amazon Instant Video.

I only ever use Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Watch ESPN (all available on most streamers), Amazon, VUDU and M-GO. Also some music streamers, but I usually run them on my phone or tablet, output by my AVR via Bluetooth; that way I don't need the TV on.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
michaeltscott is online now  
Old 01-02-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
So are you saying that if I set up the Roku 3 to output 1080, it will scale that down to 720 on the Amazon feed?
No, if you set a Roku to 1080, then everything will be output at 1080, whatever the native resolution of the source might be.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Netflix is on Fire TV.
Gary J is offline  
Old 01-02-2015, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
reddice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Most of my other devices have this common Amazon UI (ironically, not Fire TV Stick)
I am glad the Fire TV does not have that interface. On the PS3, PS4 it is buggy at best. Does not remember what programs you watched sometimes just putting you on the first episode. It also quite often shows programs partly watched. When I saw how the Fire TV got Amazon with great HD album artwork I never really bothered with watching Amazon content on the PS3 or PS4 anymore.

Really the next Fire TV 2 needs 4K support. I am surprised they did not add it to the current gen Fire TV.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - BDPS5200, Fire TV, PS4 Wired. ATV3 Wireless.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Fire TV, PS3 Slim Wired
.
Cats are the best pets.
reddice is offline  
 

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off