*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 87 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 73Likes
post #2581 of 2589 Unread Today, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
So true. I left feedback on the Roku site asking for a built-in network performance test. Just because someone pays for one speed doesn't mean that speed is available at the Roku and when they need it. I get a solid 15Mbps until 8pm, then it goes to crap. My ISP is going to fix it "soon".

It's not built-in but the Speedtest Channel works fairly well.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2589 Unread Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
It's not built-in but the Speedtest Channel works fairly well.
Thanks. I'll hope for some feedback from Roku. I'm just interested in the device speed. External tests are plentiful but I'm looking for something closer to what's in the TiVo. I'm new to the Roku and bought it mainly for Pandora (which is great). At this time I don't have subscriptions to any of the big providers. I have to wait for my access speed to improve during peak hours. In a few months I hope.
post #2583 of 2589 Unread Today, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll hope for some feedback from Roku. I'm just interested in the device speed. External tests are plentiful but I'm looking for something closer to what's in the TiVo.

Are you referring to the thing in the Opera TV Store? It's no more built-in than the Roku channel I linked to and at 3 or 4 seconds duration it's absolutely too brief to be at all accurate. The Roku channel detects multiple servers and lets you choose one and tests transfers of varying sizes.
rdgcss likes this.

post #2584 of 2589 Unread Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are you referring to the thing in the Opera TV Store? It's no more built-in than the Roku channel I linked to and at 3 or 4 seconds duration it's absolutely too brief to be at all accurate. The Roku channel detects multiple servers and lets you choose one and tests transfers of varying sizes.
I have to laugh at the Opera test. It is so far off that I left them an email asking if they ever used it. It does tell me that the slowest device is my TV and the fastest is my Blu-ray. No, I use Ookla for external speed. I sometimes let if find a faster server, and get interesting results. My ISP has their own test also, but it seems to favor itself. I'm sure that's an accident.

DSLReports has a new test. It needs work. Even this early my speed is dropping: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4297765373 and it gets worse. Much worse.

Last edited by JoeKustra; Today at 03:31 PM.
post #2585 of 2589 Unread Today, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No, I use Ookla for external speed. I sometimes let if find a faster server, and get interesting results.

What you said was that you wanted something similar to what's in TiVo. AFAICT there is no Ookla test in TiVo; I can't find any network speed test which runs on the TiVo other than that Opera app. The Roku Speedtest Channel runs inside the Roku and reports the bandwidth that it's able to get through the network connection your have set up in the Roku. That page that I linked to has a button that you click on which will get it installed on your Roku. It's a private channel so it doesn't appear in the Roku Channel Store.

post #2586 of 2589 Unread Today, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What you said was that you wanted something similar to what's in TiVo. AFAICT there is no Ookla test in TiVo; I can't find any network speed test which runs on the TiVo other than that Opera app. The Roku Speedtest Channel runs inside the Roku and reports the bandwidth that it's able to get through the network connection your have set up in the Roku. That page that I linked to has a button that you click on which will get it installed on your Roku. It's a private channel so it doesn't appear in the Roku Channel Store.
I wasn't clear. I can use the Network Diagnostics, View Transfer History to measure the speed between my Roamio, Premiere and two computers running Desktop. Before they killed internet downloads, I could measure that also as a Video Download of CNET nightly. It's all streaming now though. So I know how my network performs internally, but I lost the outside world. I would love something on the Roku that tells me if I am keeping up with the ability of my system or do I have a problem. I'm on WiFi for almost everything, and can see a dozen WiFi telephones and several routers. Since I'm pretty rural, I would hate to see how bad things are in an urban environment.
post #2587 of 2589 Unread Today, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would love something on the Roku that tells me if I am keeping up with the ability of my system or do I have a problem.

The Roku Speed Test private channel tests the bandwidth that your Roku gets to servers used by speedtest.net (which uses Ookla). It only gives you 6 server choices though; when I run it I get a choice of 6 servers, 5 in San Diego (all within 20 miles of my location) and one in Chicago, 1676 miles away. I get close to the rated 100 Mbps to local servers and about 30 Mbps to the one in Chicago. It cannot test speed between the Roku and PC servers on your LAN.

post #2588 of 2589 Unread Today, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Anyone else constantly getting signed out/have to re-register the apps History Channel and A&E, being a DirecTV customer? Every 2 weeks or so, I have to re-register both apps and I have no idea why?

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #2589 of 2589 Unread Today, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Roku Speed Test private channel tests the bandwidth that your Roku gets to servers used by speedtest.net (which uses Ookla). It only gives you 6 server choices though; when I run it I get a choice of 6 servers, 5 in San Diego (all within 20 miles of my location) and one in Chicago, 1676 miles away. I get close to the rated 100 Mbps to local servers and about 30 Mbps to the one in Chicago. It cannot test speed between the Roku and PC servers on your LAN.
Thanks. It works great. I can select my server and get rates that meet my expectations. That's all I can ask for now. I appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page