*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 88 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 84Likes
post #2611 of 2629 Unread 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tan View Post
I have 3mpbs subscription in my home. Would it be enough to worked with roku 3?
It depends on what you are streaming with the Roku 3.

The Netflix recommendation is:
ResolutionMinimum recommendation download speed
Standard Definition (best SD quality)3.0 Mbps
High Definition5.0 Mbps
Ultra HD25 Mbps

Now if there is a second machine that is streaming or downloading at the same time, one would need download capacity to handle that, too.

Different services may have varying requirements.
Michael Tan likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 01:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 953
You should be able to get the highest bit rate standard def Netflix video (1750 Kbps) plus 192 Kbps 5.1 sound with a sustained 2150 Mbps bandwidth between you and Netflix's servers. You might be able to sustain the lower bit rate 720p (2350 Mbps) as long as you limited it to stereo sound.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2613 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Perhaps for audio, but not much video. I don't know which providers will drop their quality to match that speed. I would say 5Mbps is absolute minimum, with 30Mbps being a good level for HD. Speeds above that are good if there are multiple users or gamers sharing the feed, but that's for someone else to answer. I have 15Mbps but since my prime time speed has problems, I don't subscribe to anything at this time. One free benchmark is Amazon Instant Video. They have 1080/p24 DD5.1 trailers. If you can make it through a 3 minute trailer you probably have a good chance with movies and most indie content. Do you have any internet streaming devices, like TV, Blu-ray, TiVo, etc.?
Thanks for the info. I dont have any internet devices. Anyway im here in the Philippines, try to geo block my router in order to access US streaming services. If 3mbps not enough, would you think Huawei wireless LTE modem can do for it instead of broadband? Becuase lte services here is cheaper and can provide 12 up to 32mbps.
post #2614 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I dont have any internet devices. Anyway im here in the Philippines, try to geo block my router in order to access US streaming services. If 3mbps not enough, would you think Huawei wireless LTE modem can do for it instead of broadband? Becuase lte services here is cheaper and can provide 12 up to 32mbps.
Cheaper? Faster? [More reliable]? Sounds like a better move if you don't have to sign a long term contract.
Michael Tan likes this.
post #2615 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Cheaper? Faster? [More reliable]? Sounds like a better move if you don't have to sign a long term contract.
Yes, because its not a contract its a prepaid services i only bought the wireless lte router and put the sim card of the network provider. Unlike broadband its a fix and contract arrangment.
post #2616 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Yes, because its not a contract its a prepaid services i only bought the wireless lte router and put the sim card of the network provider. Unlike broadband its a fix and contract arrangment.
Michael, only you can decide. I looked at my viewing habits, my budget and my priorities. I bought my Roku 3 because it works great for Pandora. I seldom stream anything else at this time. I can't tell you what is best for you, sorry.
Michael Tan likes this.
post #2617 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
That won't be enough for anything.
Sure it is. I can stream content at my GFs house. She only has a 1.2Mb/s DSL connection. Of course it's only SD but it will work if the streaming service has encodes that go that low. For instance there are no issues streaming Netflix on her 1.25 Mb/s DSL. It's just a lower resolution.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2618 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Yeah, my parents had 768k internet for years and Netflix worked fine, albeit at very low resolution. Their eyesight wasn't so good, so it made no difference to them. Looked like the old VHS tapes they'd been watching for years anyway.

Michael, just try it and see if the quality is acceptable to you. A 30-day trial of Netflix is free. That will give you enough time to try your internet and borrow a friend's cell phone / hotspot to see the difference for yourself.
Michael Tan likes this.
post #2619 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 28
That's exactly what I meant, if you can't stream in HD contents then forget it. I skip on these types of programs from Netlix if: they're not in Hi-Def, and no 5.1 Surround. These are essential and needs the proper bandwidths to deliver.
post #2620 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
That's exactly what I meant, if you can't stream in HD contents then forget it.
It would be more proper to state that under a certain throughput one cannot do HD than just to state that one should just forget it.

A better way may be to point to, say, Netflix recommendations at http://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/306 or present a table like:

Download RateImage quality
0.5 MbpsMinimum to get an image (would look terrible)
1.5 MbpsRecommended minimum (would look poor)
3.0 MbpsRecommended for SD quality (near DVD)
5.0 MbpsRecommended for HD (near Blu-ray)
25 MbpsRecommended for Ultra HD

and let the person inquiring about it make his or her own decision.

Not all of us demand HD quality in all the content we watch. In fact, about a third of what I watch on cable is SD and the bulk of the discs I get from Netflix are DVDs, even though I would pick HD or Blu-ray where I have a choice, but I prefer getting content over not having it at all when those are the only choices.
cavchameleon likes this.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #2621 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
It would be more proper to state that under a certain throughput one cannot do HD than just to state that one should just forget it.

A better way may be to point to, say, Netflix recommendations at http://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/306 or present a table like:

Not all of us demand HD quality in all the content we watch. In fact, about a third of what I watch on cable is SD and the bulk of the discs I get from Netflix are DVDs, even though I would pick HD or Blu-ray where I have a choice, but I prefer getting content over not having it at all when those are the only choices.
At my GFs house, on her little 42" set, from where we watch at ten feet away, the Netflix SD stream on her slow DSL is just fine. But at my place. I am 9 feet away from an 82" set. It would be unwatchable there. It really all depends on the setup. I'm also running a 9.1 audio setup. but at my GFs house, it's just stereo with the Tv speakers. Of course there is no critical vieiwng at her place. But for certain content, i don't mind watching it there streamed in SD. Of course my GF couldn't care less.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2622 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Very well put!!! My parents are in their 80's and think VHS looks great so are fine with lower quality streaming (and they could care less about audio quality - both wear hearing aids). It really comes down to acceptable needs.

When we want to watch it in the best format, we always get the Blu-ray version (best video and lossless audio). Otherwise, I do want the best streaming possible, but not all material is HD as stated.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #2623 of 2629 Unread 05-04-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What I watch on Netflix is in SD and it looks good. I also watch HD content too but that in SD looks horrible.

EarthLink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) 208.67.222.220, 8.8.4.4.
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Sony BDPS5200, Sony PS4.
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS3 Slim.
Cats are the best pets.
post #2624 of 2629 Unread Yesterday, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
A couple things that I've noticed from the latest firmware update is that Hulu Plus doesn't load shows as quickly as it use to & that YouTube videos aren't as sharp. They look like 480p. Anyone else notice this?
post #2625 of 2629 Unread Yesterday, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
A couple things that I've noticed from the latest firmware update is that Hulu Plus doesn't load shows as quickly as it use to & that YouTube videos aren't as sharp. They look like 480p. Anyone else notice this?
I don't use hulu plus but I do notice youtube is not displaying in HD anymore. It looks pretty bad. I wish they(netflix or roku) would hurry up and fix this. There are lots of complaints on the roku forums about this issue.
post #2626 of 2629 Unread Yesterday, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
I have noticed the Hulu delay. Since I just re-upped for another 2 yrs with Comcast, I thought I was just getting crappier internet service now that I am locked in...

v/r,
C-F
post #2627 of 2629 Unread Today, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
I have noticed the Hulu delay. Since I just re-upped for another 2 yrs with Comcast, I thought I was just getting crappier internet service now that I am locked in...

v/r,
C-F
Did you confirm your download/upload speeds? Do check that and if you're not getting your paid for speed, I'd call Comcast. When I got a new contract (I do it every year so I can get the best price that has Blast), my download speed was only 35Mps. I called and all they did was punch in a code to 'authorize' the correct speed, after that I was back to my normal (pay for 50Mps Blast, but usually average 60-65Mps).

On the slow loading of Hulu, yes it is a little bit slower, but still loads within 10 seconds or less so not that bad. Hopefully they'll fix it. Netflix also has that lag now. Not sure if it's on Roku's end or on the provider's end. Even slower is HBO Go, but once in it's fast to navigate.

I still find it the best overall streamer. We have several Roku3's and some Roku XS's. We also have a two AppleTV's (newer ATV3 and one older one with the included hard drive) - they hardly get used. Also have a Chomecast (only for casting from a device, so not a stand alone like Roku and ATV) and an Amazon Fire Stick (had to try it when it was on special over the holidays for $19) - good but does not have as many apps as the Roku. Bottom line for us, the Roku is the best streamer (including using Plex for in-home streamed media). All have their quirks so it's best to choose one that fit's your needs.

Ray

post #2628 of 2629 Unread Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry, wasn't trying to pile on, I was just noting that I noticed more pronounced start lag as well. I have seen a couple other symptoms lately on Hulu that annoy me more (some stutter, some lock-ups causing a crash & reboot, once a show skipped the video for an entire act but not the CC and then got Maxx Headroom stuck on the part resuming from commercial, and the like).

I checked the last time it came up in this thread (and just now with Ookla) and I get about 43 Mbps down / 12 Mbps up on a laptop connected with wi-fi.
The Roku3 is connected via wired ethernet.

I also did some test where I only saw 12 Mbps down, but I don't know if that was on the channel/app discussed here, or on the other laptop (which is wired and connected to the TV - primarily for CBS shows).

As far as I can tell, the "Blast! Plus" package internet here should be 105 Mbps down. Comcast certainly did not make it easy to look that up. It has been a while since I was really keeping up with the more technical aspects, I guess I should give them a call.

v/r,
C-F
post #2629 of 2629 Unread Today, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked into the 105 Mps down, but they wanted $100/month for it, was just too much when the paid 50Mps is able to stream to 5 Rokus at a time in HD with no real issues. I do notice the lag, but have not had the stutter or lock-ups that you mention.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player