*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 90 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 89Likes
post #2671 of 2694 Unread 06-17-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
can thiss play HD video with high def audio
It can play video at up to 1080p. If by "high def audio" you mean Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA then I don't think so. It's principally a streaming player and there are no streaming sources offering those lossless formats. It does not process Dolby or DTS sound and merely passes it downstream over HDMI, but I don't think that its Media Player channel (plays files via DLNA or from files on USB storage) can handle files with lossless tracks.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
can thiss play HD video with high def audio
Like michaeltscott posted, the answer is maybe. Your question is general and could be answered as a general "yes". But the devil is in the details. When streaming Amazon 1080/p24, it comes out as 1080/p60. When given lossless audio or "HD" audio, it outputs pcm 48k 2ch. So while it will not reject most audio, it may not reproduce that content in its original form.

Like I posted, I use my Sony Blu-ray for 1080/p24 DD5.1 streaming. I don't know of any device that streams DTS-MA as the soundtrack of a film, but I would love to find such a device and a source of content. Maybe next year.
post #2673 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Like michaeltscott posted, the answer is maybe. Your question is general and could be answered as a general "yes". But the devil is in the details. When streaming Amazon 1080/p24, it comes out as 1080/p60. When given lossless audio or "HD" audio, it outputs pcm 48k 2ch. So while it will not reject most audio, it may not reproduce that content in its original form.

Like I posted, I use my Sony Blu-ray for 1080/p24 DD5.1 streaming. I don't know of any device that streams DTS-MA as the soundtrack of a film, but I would love to find such a device and a source of content. Maybe next year.
My Oppo BDP-103D streams HD contents with DTS-MA via DLNA.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #2674 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
I'm looking for the best device to stream high def audio, 192/24 flies and Apple lossless from my library. Does the ROKU 3 do a good job of audio or is it mostly for video?
The Oppo 103 and 105 players will stream these files at their native resolutions. Roku devices won't.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #2675 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
The Oppo 103 and 105 players will stream these files at their native resolutions. Roku devices won't.
I use my WD Live for streaming HD MKV files, without transcoding. It can handle pretty much everything including DTS-MA ans Dolby True HD. Its the best one I've found, but the newest version doesn't do Netflix or Amazon Prime and the last few firmware upgrades have been buggy.

I've had the best luck with Roku/Serviio combination for streaming, but its not as good as the WD Live. I use the Roku for everything else.
post #2676 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tconnors View Post
I use my WD Live for streaming HD MKV files, without transcoding. It can handle pretty much everything including DTS-MA ans Dolby True HD. Its the best one I've found, but the newest version doesn't do Netflix or Amazon Prime and the last few firmware upgrades have been buggy.

I've had the best luck with Roku/Serviio combination for streaming, but its not as good as the WD Live. I use the Roku for everything else.
Same with my WDTV LIVE HUB. The player handles everything, including DVD VOB files (VIDEO_TS). Ever since Western Digital ruined all subsequent firmware updates, I have stopped using it. The only major negative is that it only streams Netflix at 720p tops, but can do VUDU at Full 1080. Other than that it is a great device. The newer WD devices are useless and made for strictly DLNA streaming within your Eco-system, nothing else. Even then they are still very buggy.
post #2677 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Same with my WDTV LIVE HUB. The player handles everything, including DVD VOB files (VIDEO_TS). Ever since Western Digital ruined all subsequent firmware updates, I have stopped using it. The only major negative is that it only streams Netflix at 720p tops, but can do VUDU at Full 1080. Other than that it is a great device. The newer WD devices are useless and made for strictly DLNA streaming within your Eco-system, nothing else. Even then they are still very buggy.
You can roll back the firmware, which is what I did, the last release practicality made it unusable, but rolling back fixed that. I get 1080 on Netflix regularly, but I use the Roku because of the newer interface. If the firmware is why you stopped using it, try the rollback.
post #2678 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can roll back the firmware, which is what I did, the last release practicality made it unusable, but rolling back fixed that. I get 1080 on Netflix regularly, but I use the Roku because of the newer interface. If the firmware is why you stopped using it, try the rollback.
The LIVE HUB would not do 1080 on Netflix, but only 720p max. All updates are same, believe me I've used them all. The latest one finally displays cover art properly, but as for everything else it is still buggy and lagging big time. It loves to reboot itself whenever it wants. Are you using 'WDTV Live Streaming' model? They've also sent me that model as a replacement but I ended up selling it instead. Needed the 1TB drive and the HUB served its purpose for vob & mkv streaming. These days I just use the Roku 3 for Netflix, etc and my Oppo 103D for DLNA purposes.
post #2679 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The LIVE HUB would not do 1080 on Netflix, but only 720p max. All updates are same, believe me I've used them all. The latest one finally displays cover art properly, but as for everything else it is still buggy and lagging big time. It loves to reboot itself whenever it wants. Are you using 'WDTV Live Streaming' model? They've also sent me that model as a replacement but I ended up selling it instead. Needed the 1TB drive and the HUB served its purpose for vob & mkv streaming. These days I just use the Roku 3 for Netflix, etc and my Oppo 103D for DLNA purposes.
I have 2 WD TV Live Media Players. Both work well with 2 or 3 firmwares back. I don't remember which one and I turned off update notification. The Roku isn't close to as good a MKV file player, but does everything else better. The WD has played everything without transcoding, but your right it's very buggy,

I finally got mine settled down so its very stable now. Putting small thumb drives I had laying around in the units did the trick. I think they are only 500 meg, they're old. They are also hardwired, wifi hardly worked at all for me.
post #2680 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have 2 WD TV Live Media Players. Both work well with 2 or 3 firmwares back. I don't remember which one and I turned off update notification. The Roku isn't close to as good a MKV file player, but does everything else better. The WD has played everything without transcoding, but your right it's very buggy,

I finally got mine settled down so its very stable now. Putting small thumb drives I had laying around in the units did the trick. I think they are only 500 meg, they're old. They are also hardwired, wifi hardly worked at all for me.
Roku 3 is horrible for any type of dlna streaming. First of all I don't like the file/folder structure where you'd have to guess what and when unlike the WD devices which displays properly from its source. My Oppo is the closest thing to WD TV when dealing with dlna streaming.
post #2681 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have a WD TV Live Streaming (WDBHG70000NBK, accept no substitutes) and it's an amazing file player; it's played everything I've thrown at it, including some files that I specially encoded with mkv2vob to store basic DTS 5.1 disguised as 2 channel PCM, which when played by a PS3 via DLNA was seen as DTS by the AVR. Nothing else I've tried has been able to deal with those files.

It can output 24p content from Netflix and VUDU as a 24Hz video signal which is a rare capability. It runs the older common Netflix UI, slowly, though it runs VUDU's UI very well. I don't know how the newest model plays files (should do as well as Live Streaming) but they've omitted a Netflix player and boldly advertise "You don’t need another player for Netflix. You need a player for your personal stuff". Also, for whatever reason, none of them has ever included an Amazon Instant Video client app.

post #2682 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I have a WD TV Live Streaming (WDBHG70000NBK, accept no substitutes) and it's an amazing file player; it's played everything I've thrown at it, including some files that I specially encoded with mkv2vob to store basic DTS 5.1 disguised as 2 channel PCM, which when played by a PS3 via DLNA was seen as DTS by the AVR. Nothing else I've tried has been able to deal with those files.

It can output 24p content from Netflix and VUDU as a 24Hz video signal which is a rare capability. It runs the older common Netflix UI, slowly, though it runs VUDU's UI very well. I don't know how the newest model plays files (should do as well as Live Streaming) but they've omitted a Netflix player and boldly advertise "You don’t need another player for Netflix. You need a player for your personal stuff". Also, for whatever reason, none of them has ever included an Amazon Instant Video client app.
As a matter of fact I like the older Netflix UI from WDTV more than the current ones from Roku, or all others. When I go to 'My List' Netflix tells me the number of saved titles (1/185) I have unlike Roku.
post #2683 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

Also plays BD ISO's in all their hi-res video and audio glory.
post #2684 of 2694 Unread 06-18-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As a matter of fact I like the older Netflix UI from WDTV more than the current ones from Roku, or all others. When I go to 'My List' Netflix tells me the number of saved titles (1/185) I have unlike Roku.

True, and probably the only way in which it's superior to the newer common Netflix UI. But it's responsiveness to commands on TV Live Streaming is horrible when compared to the newer UI on Roku 3 and every other platform I've used it on (TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, Xbox 360, Xbox One, etc).

post #2685 of 2694 Unread Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After over a year of use the Roku 3 has defaulted to the HDCP error. I tried every suggestion except Roku supports favorite "try/buy another TV". the WMC box I built runs the Netflix app through the exact signal path from the box>same cable>same switch channel>same TV with no issues. Intel wrote the HDCP spec so i have no doubt that the genuine Intel MB board in the WMC box is compliant. This tells me that Roku has a QA assembly issue or firmware issue they will not admit to or the Broadcom part they use is marginal over time. These are not random suppositions as I have over 30 years developing embedded systems and have pretty much seen everything. The Roku worked well but it's unacceptable for a piece of electronics in the 21st century that costs a hundred dollars to not last more than a year. my gut tells me Roku either borked the firmware, a solder joint went open or the Broadcom part is bad. I'm too old to expend anymore time on somebody else's cost saving mistakes and I've got the Amazon Fire TV waiting on the porch. I will miss the Roku's vender agnostic interface but the number of search results on this problem indicate that Roku has a problem.
post #2686 of 2694 Unread Yesterday, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 126
First I've heard of it.
Neil S. Bulk likes this.
post #2687 of 2694 Unread Yesterday, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Every now and again I've seen the HDCP error with my Roku but it quickly goes away so it's only a minor annoyance (rebooting the box will do it, which can now be done through the interface with a System settings option). I've also occasionally experienced it with my TiVo Roamio.

Be aware that Fire TV does not (and almost certainly never will) have any app for renting or purchasing video other than Amazon Instant; no VUDU, no Blockbuster, no Google Play, no M-GO. If you want to buy or rent video, Amazon would understandably rather that you do it from them ; the same is true of Apple TV and VUDU's Spark. Of course that's fine unless one of the others has what you want for cheaper or has given you a coupon for free content. I suppose that's what you mean by "vendor agnostic". Amazon also does not currently offer access to your UltraViolet or Disney Watch Anywhere lockers, if you have them. Otherwise Fire TV is a good product; enjoy .
Squirrel! likes this.

post #2688 of 2694 Unread Yesterday, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Keep the Roku for the bedroom, do not get rid of it. You'll want it for those times the Fire TV can't/won't play what you want. May not happen often, but it WILL happen.

That said, I have the Fire TV and it has been more reliable than my Roku2XS (which now resides in the bedroom) and 90% of things like vudu I miss but I can watch it in the bedroom. I never ordered from blockbuster or m-go anyway, just vudu (only because that is where my ultra-violet is) and amazon, so no loss. But build quality and performance beats my XS2. We are not disappointed with the FireTV at all.

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #2689 of 2694 Unread Today, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Keep the Roku for the bedroom, do not get rid of it. You'll want it for those times the Fire TV can't/won't play what you want. May not happen often, but it WILL happen.

That said, I have the Fire TV and it has been more reliable than my Roku2XS (which now resides in the bedroom) and 90% of things like vudu I miss but I can watch it in the bedroom. I never ordered from blockbuster or m-go anyway, just vudu (only because that is where my ultra-violet is) and amazon, so no loss. But build quality and performance beats my XS2. We are not disappointed with the FireTV at all.
I used to have a bunch of Roku 2 XS boxes before upgrading to Roku 3s. The 3 is much more stable and has a vastly better wireless connection in addition to being a whole lot faster. There is no comparison.

My big complaint with Fire TV is that its codec support is even worse than Roku's. I have a huge amount of content that plays natively on a Roku 3, but requires transcoding for Fire TV.

Scott
post #2690 of 2694 Unread Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Doesn't the Flickster app allow you to play your UV Movies thru the FTV?
post #2691 of 2694 Unread Today, 12:13 PM

I tried it once but the experience was so horrible, I never revisited...

Main: Mitsubishi 73734 DLP|Amazon Fire TV|Toshiba HD DVD-A35|Panasonic BD65|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 DIY Class 'G' 540w 12" Subs|APC H15|Harmony 720 Remote|Linksys E3000 Dual Band N-Router|Linksys SE2500 Ethernet Switch

MBR: Vizio VF550M|Roku 2XS|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PureAV PF30|Harmony 550 Remote
post #2692 of 2694 Unread Today, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
...no Google Play...
Movies rented or purchased from Google Play show up under the "Purchased" tab in YouTube and can be viewed there. The only limitation is that it plays 2.0 audio only and not 5.1

Neil
post #2693 of 2694 Unread Today, 03:14 PM

Interesting... The other thing I do if my Fire TV doesn't have an app I want to use in the main setup, I just use my blu-ray player for VUDU. Same thing in the end. Besides, I paid for the features, why not use them occasionally?

post #2694 of 2694 Unread Today, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Obviously if you have something else hooked up to a television along with whatever external streaming device which has VUDU then you're set, but that's not true for everyone. I have 8 devices connected to this system (TiVo Roamio, Roku 3, Panasonic BDP, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, WD TV Live and this PC) and the television's smart apps; every last one of these devices has players for VUDU; you can play Amazon Instant Video on all but the TV Live. In the living room I only have a Fire TV Stick, so no VUDU, Blockbuster, M-GO, etc.

I bought the Fire TV Stick because it was $20 for Amazon Prime members for the first few days after product introduction. I tried it, found that it didn't do anything that half a dozen things that I already had can do (and cannot be controlled via my IR universal remote), shrugged and threw it in a draw. When I moved to share this home I plugged it into the television in the LR, since I don't pay anything extra if other people watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus or HBO Go content on it. One nice thing about the stick is that it implements HDMI CEC and can therefore be controlled by the remote for the Sony panel it's hooked up to so I didn't even need to leave its remote down there to get lost. The television's USB port is sufficient to power it so I didn't even have to plug it into the wall. It's a good product, though it does have the aforementioned limitations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player