*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 56
*Official* Roku 3 Streaming Player Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Why would you (or anyone with good sense) want to carry a phone, a watch, and a streaming device which can dictates you how to live your everyday life - to shop, read, eat, sh!t, sleep under the one Eco-system known as Amazon???

I get that you don't like it, but it sounds like a fairly standard capitalistic company - one that's doing very well. How is this a lot different from Wal-Mart, Apple, etc? I also see that Amazon is providing an avenue for many smaller companies to sell to a much larger audience and are thereby benefiting greatly by selling at a much higher volume through Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Links: System Diagram / System Pix
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
Yamaha: Aventage RX-A2010, CDC-685, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo: BDP-93
Apple: AppleTV, Roku: Roku3, Amazon: FireTV Stick, Roomie: Roomie Remote
ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS, CinemaQuest: Ideal-Lume Std
See links for system details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
As a Amazon shareholder cry me a river.
So frickin' what, I am also a shareholder of other big cap stocks. Nobody is crying a river here. If you want to go that route you're just hanging on a thin thread.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
So frickin' what
So the the stock and company has been great for me that's what. duh
Old 07-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I get that you don't like it, but sounds like a fairly standard capitalistic company - one that's doing very well. How is this a lot different from Wal-Mart, Apple, etc? I also see that Amazon is providing an avenue for many smaller companies to sell to a much larger audience and are thereby benefiting greatly by selling at a much higher volume through Amazon.

Yes, but selling through Amazon is very costly, not to mention any small (uncontrollable) circumstances can also cost you dearly - for being banned because they have the upper hand. I know a lot of fellow sellers have fell through the misfortune, one that destroyed them in the first place simply because they were forced out by Amazon, and ultimately selling through them and got destroyed again for lack of ratings not met by Amazon standards. God forbid should that ever happens to me or for many others, and this isn't uncommon.

Last edited by 80sGuy; 07-01-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lflorack View Post
I get that you don't like it, but it sounds like a fairly standard capitalistic company - one that's doing very well. How is this a lot different from Wal-Mart, Apple, etc? I also see that Amazon is providing an avenue for many smaller companies to sell to a much larger audience and are thereby benefiting greatly by selling at a much higher volume through Amazon.

Yep take it, leave it or sell stuff somewhere else but don't start a Amazon's business rant in a Roku thread.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 490
I actually love Amazon Instant! I rent new releases and stream them on my Roku 3 nearly every weekend. I could care less how much money they are making as it doesn't concern me.
Gary J and JoeKustra like this.

I caved!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
I love my Rokus, but Fire TV is a good product. Most of the video that I stream is from sources which they do have apps for, like Netflix, HBO Go and Hulu. I very rarely rent streaming video and even more rarely buy it so the fact that Fire TV only offers a single source for such isn't a problem for me. The one thing that it needs is access to UV and DWA lockers; VUDU and M-GO have that, even though it lets you watch content purchased elsewhere.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 07-05-2015, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I love my Rokus, but Fire TV is a good product. Most of the video that I stream is from sources which they do have apps for, like Netflix, HBO Go and Hulu. I very rarely rent streaming video and even more rarely buy it so the fact that Fire TV only offers a single source for such isn't a problem for me. The one thing that it needs is access to UV and DWA lockers; VUDU and M-GO have that, even though it lets you watch content purchased elsewhere.
Fire TV does support Flixster for UV content, but there is nothing for DMA yet. That and lousy codec support are the main deficiencies, although you can sideload KODI on the Fire TV box with good results (not so much with the stick).

Scott
Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Does Flixster on Fire TV give you HD video with 5.1 sound? I haven't been able to get that for any title from Flixster on other platforms. It would be nice if the support came from Amazon Instant Video so that your UV and DMA titles would just show up in your library as they do in the VUDU player (which, of course, is unlikely to ever appear on Fire TV).

Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Comedy Central channel starts streaming on Roku

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/06/comedy-central-roku/
JoeKustra likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How can I tell if I have the latest upgrade on my ROKU 3?

Ben Music
Old 07-08-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post
How can I tell if I have the latest upgrade on my ROKU 3?

Ben Music
Settings, System, System Update. Check the dates. If you just added CC via the internet, you may have to do an update check to get the channel downloaded. Then, if you have cable, activate it on your provider. It provides a code to use.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Settings, System, System Update. Check the dates. If you just added CC via the internet, you may have to do an update check to get the channel downloaded. Then, if you have cable, activate it on your provider. It provides a code to use.
Thanks for your reply Joe. I don't any problems with the daily regular updates, but the one that I'm talking
about is going to be some type of overhaul of the entire website. It's going to be more organized and be much
simpler to find movies and tv shows. I read about it someplace, but can't remember where. Maybe it's comming in the near future.

Ben Music
Old 07-11-2015, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just recently a problem has cropped up with the Netflix app on my Roku 3. It keeps logging me out from one day to another. Each night I have to re-enter my username and password. What would cause that? It is getting tiresome.

John
Old 07-11-2015, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscudder View Post
Just recently a problem has cropped up with the Netflix app on my Roku 3. It keeps logging me out from one day to another. Each night I have to re-enter my username and password. What would cause that? It is getting tiresome.

John
It happens sometimes.. Delete the Netflix app from your Roku and the reinstall it. That should fix it.

Mike

Denon X2000
OPPO BDP-103
Roku 3
Dish Network Hopper
Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800
SVS PB-1000
Old 07-11-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There've been a number of recent complaints about this on the Roku forums and it happened to me yesterday. I just checked and it didn't happen.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Hasn't happen to me yet but deleting/reinstalling the app would probably help, or do a reset on the device.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscudder View Post

John
It was doing it on only 1 of our two Roku 3s. Stopped after 1 week. Although I did reboot the Roku twice in that week hoping it would help. Which it didn't.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmcgahee View Post
It happens sometimes.. Delete the Netflix app from your Roku and the reinstall it. That should fix it.

Mike
That seems to have fixed it! Thanks.
mlmcgahee likes this.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Roku 3 to Composite 4:3 signal conversion

Not sure this is the right place to ask. We are trying to stream live Roku content to older 4:3 aspect ratio displays with composite inputs. Roku 1 works fine with on-demand content (even letterboxes it), but does not seem to be able to display live streams.
It's either a wireless speed issue (though measures at 30 mbps on computer) or an internal processor issue. We went with Roku 1 because of the composite outputs (no longer available on Roku 2)

We can go with a Roku 2 or 3, but have to convert the HDMI to a letterboxed 4:3 composite out with analog audio. I am assuming either with a wired internet connection or the faster processor we can display live streams in addition to on-demand.

I know there are a lot of HDMI>Composite converter out there, but am concerned about the letterboxing requirement. We don't need HDCP afaik.

Anyone have experience or feedback on the above challenge?
Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by keel View Post
Not sure this is the right place to ask. We are trying to stream live Roku content to older 4:3 aspect ratio displays with composite inputs. Roku 1 works fine with on-demand content (even letterboxes it), but does not seem to be able to display live streams.
It's either a wireless speed issue (though measures at 30 mbps on computer) or an internal processor issue. We went with Roku 1 because of the composite outputs (no longer available on Roku 2)

We can go with a Roku 2 or 3, but have to convert the HDMI to a letterboxed 4:3 composite out with analog audio. I am assuming either with a wired internet connection or the faster processor we can display live streams in addition to on-demand.

I know there are a lot of HDMI>Composite converter out there, but am concerned about the letterboxing requirement. We don't need HDCP afaik.

Anyone have experience or feedback on the above challenge?
yes, stop living in the past and buy an HDTV. amazon and walmart will have great prices tomorrow on TV's. the aggravation you are experiencing plus the cost of whatever bandaid you come up with in order to get it working is more than the cost of a 40 inch HDTV for $150 tomorrow.
JoeKustra likes this.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:26 PM

We are trying to connect a Roku live stream source to a programmable playback switch & rack in a Community Access Channel. The entire system is composite, and even if we replace it with a $40,000 SDI system the final link to the Cable Provider Laser Modulator is still composite input and 4:3 output. So the question remains on how to convert Roku 3 HDMI wide screen to 4:3 letterboxed composite in an inexpensive manner. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Frank Fulchiero

Last edited by keel; 07-14-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I don't know if this has been mentioned in here but is anybody using their Roku 3 on a 4K tv? If so how does it look?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog510 View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned in here but is anybody using their Roku 3 on a 4K tv? If so how does it look?

I use it on my 60" Vizio P-Series and it looks just fine. It would all depend upon how good the upconversion is but 99.9% of all material viewed on 4K televisions at this point is 1080p, 1080i and 720p so good upconversion is pretty much job 1.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
I use it on my 60" Vizio P-Series and it looks just fine. It would all depend upon how good the upconversion is but 99.9% of all material viewed on 4K televisions at this point is 1080p, 1080i and 720p so good upconversion is pretty much job 1.
Ok. I just purchased the Samsung UN48JS8500 but I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I think the upscaling on that set is pretty good.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
... convert the HDMI to a letterboxed 4:3 composite out with analog audio. ...
The DVD Recorder forum may have something on that:
New Kid On The Block..HDMI>composite converter
HDMI to Component or S-video/composite converters

v/r,
C-F
Old 07-15-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
Thanks for the info, will head over! On a different note, can the Roku 3 output 4:3 aspect ratio? I googled and found inconclusive information. If so, then I may only have to worry about signal conversion and not letter boxing.

Frank Fulchiero
Old 07-15-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Thanks for the info, will head over! On a different note, can the Roku 3 output 4:3 aspect ratio? I googled and found inconclusive information. If so, then I may only have to worry about signal conversion and not letter boxing.
When I check the options under Display for my Roku 3 it has two options: 720p and 1080p. That may be because it's connected to a 1080p television via HDMI. You're a month late since I just gave away my old 4:3 720p television.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Similar here. I remember there was an aspect ratio setting on either the Roku HD (N1100) and/or the Roku 2 XS (3100), but I only see the 720p/1080p option on the Roku 3 (4200). Wikipedia has a pretty good matrix on the models. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

v/r,
C-F
Old Today, 08:53 AM

Is anybody having problems with HBO GO? It doesn't show the latest episodes of any of their shows but they show up on the app on my phone.

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player