post #1 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/03/05/introducing-roku-3-video/
Quote:
It’s a great day for TV lovers. Today, we’re excited to introduce the new, fully loaded Roku 3 – our fastest, most powerful streaming player to-date. From an intuitive new interface to an enhanced remote with built-in headphone jack for private listening, the all-new Roku 3 was designed with you in mind.

Clocking in at over five times faster than our previous players, the Roku 3 will get you to your favorite movies and TV shows in a flash. Even better, the Enhanced Remote with an integrated headphone jack makes it easy to enjoy TV time anytime. Just plug in the included in-ear headphones and Roku instantly switches audio to the headphones while muting your TV speakers. It’s that simple. Now you can turn up those late-night Breaking Bad marathons without waking the whole family!

In the spirit of simplicity, the new Roku interface features a streamlined layout to provide quicker access and greater visibility – especially if you have many channels installed. The Roku Channel Store and Search are now fully integrated into the home screen, and both have been redesigned with our new on-screen experience. Over 750+ channels are available on Roku, and it’s easier than ever to find that perfect movie or show in our updated Roku Channel Store.

Check out the new Roku experience in action:

The new interface debuts on the Roku 3 and will automatically roll out as a free software update in April to all Roku 2 models, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku LT and the Roku Streaming Stick.

The Roku 3 is available now for $99.99 in the U.S. through Roku.com, Amazon.com and several other leading online retailers. It will be available at major retail chains beginning in April.

At Roku, we strive to make TV watching as enjoyable as it can be – and we do that by delivering useful innovation, like a convenient private listening mode or an incredibly simple, intuitive interface. We don’t believe in tech for tech’s sake. We’re not going to make you shout or gesture at your TV. We just want to bring you the best TV experience, and we’re extremely proud of the Roku 3.

You’ll find more information about the Roku 3, including product features and specifications, right here: http://www.roku.com/why-its-cool

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

like ive posted all over the place, i hope they fix the RGB output on this version!

post #3 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

like ive posted all over the place, i hope they fix the RGB output on this version!

+1.

At least give us the option of YCbCr like in the original Roku.
post #4 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 480
This is the official "theard"? biggrin.gif

I sent a notice to the mods requesting a correction to the title (sorry if the misspelling was intentional smile.gif).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #5 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Two on the way! The remote ear buds were the the biggest thing to drive me to replace both current Rokus. The ability to blast a loud as I like at 4 in the morning is a game changer. I have used wireless headphones but they're too much trouble and I hated the size of the things.

LR: Vizio E701i-A3, Vizio VSB207 sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3.

BR: Vizio E601i-A3, Sharp (disc.) sound bar, Sony BD390 BR, Roku 3
post #6 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Ordered mine - if much better than the Roku2 XS, then I'll get more and off-load the XS's somewhere...

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #7 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ordered one also. I got the roku 2 xs for Xmas, will compare with the 3.
post #8 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I really really don't need another unit..........................but I'm in for one rolleyes.gif

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #9 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'm having a hard time resisting
post #10 of 2016 Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I did also and gave in. Have 6 XS but really want to check the 3 out.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #11 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sadly they Amazon did not ship mine on the 6th. I think maybe they've become hip to the fact that shipping with ONTRAC from one point to another in the western region is always overnight, so if they're going to ship that way they take their time rolleyes.gif. Oh well, it'll be here on Friday.

post #12 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Sadly they Amazon did not ship mine on the 6th. I think maybe they've become hip to the fact that shipping with ONTRAC from one point to another in the western region is always overnight, so if they're going to ship that way they take their time rolleyes.gif. Oh well, it'll be here on Friday.

Are you sure? I order a decent amount of stuff from Amazon and I noticed that they sometimes lag on updating their shipping status. I will see no status updates and then the item is at my door. Either way, Friday is tomorrow.

On another note, we went out to dinner for my and my wife's birthday last night. I got an Amazon gift card and she got a BB gift card. If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #13 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I am in for a 4th. Also for the new Time Warner Cable app.
post #14 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I am in for a 4th. Also for the new Time Warner Cable app.

Does anyone know what the benefit of this app is for the cable company? I have Cablevision/Optimum and, if they ever come out with this app, I'll be all over it. If it works anything like the iPad app, I will be able to remove any extra cable boxes from my account and watch the same exact programming with the Roku.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #15 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Does anyone know what the benefit of this app is for the cable company? I have Cablevision/Optimum and, if they ever come out with this app, I'll be all over it. If it works anything like the iPad app, I will be able to remove any extra cable boxes from my account and watch the same exact programming with the Roku.

It is pretty much like the iPad app - no locals. Better for another thread but the short version is the FCC has ruled the cable companies can take anyway analog (already lost the Golf channel on TWC) and QAM channels with certain conditions so TWC has come up with this app. Not the "same exact programming" so far though - missing locals, Weather channel, ESPN. The less analog channels the more junk digital stuff the cable companies can add.
post #16 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm pretty excited about the remote with audio out. Does anyone know how that works? I read that it uses wifi, so I'm hoping we can get rid of IR commands if the remote connects to the network.
post #17 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

I'm pretty excited about the remote with audio out. Does anyone know how that works? I read that it uses wifi, so I'm hoping we can get rid of IR commands if the remote connects to the network.

It says over wifi, probably much like the apps for the deifferent devices do.....That doesnt mean that the remote itself works over wifi however ;-)
post #18 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Hopefully I'm not violating my NDA at this point..

The remote works great. When i first recieved it in I thought it was kind of gimmicky, cool but no real practicality to it. Well my wife happened to be reading something on the couch and when i told her "Go upstairs and read in bed woman, I want to watch this movie" Well as you can imagine that did not work out so well, so I started to use them. They are actually quite nice in a situation where you want to watch something another person in the room does not, or if you want to listen to music/podcast without disturbing anyone.

I found that if I played some music I could sit and listen to it while my wife watched TV and switched the input over to the satellite box.

The remote itself does not connect to the network, it does however use WiFi/bluetooth of some sort, im not 100%. The roku box has a built in wifi antenna that broadcasts, I have a feeling this is what connects with the remote.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #19 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

it uses WiFi direct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

post #20 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm frankly a bit disappointed. I know Roku is focused on online streaming video services, but the fact that it can't stream from a local NAS or other DLNA device, and has very limited audio codec support for music files, means that along with my Roku 2 XD - which I do love, BTW - I'm forced to use an additional streaming device in my setup.

New interface looks cool though.

- Mark
post #21 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post

I'm frankly a bit disappointed. I know Roku is focused on online streaming video services, but the fact that it can't stream from a local NAS or other DLNA device, and has very limited audio codec support for music files, means that along with my Roku 2 XD - which I do love, BTW - I'm forced to use an additional streaming device in my setup.

- Mark

Not entirely true, you can stream from a local NAS using a private channel like Roksbox and if your NAS supports one of the web server requirements for the channel. It would have been nice to have it native from Roku without extra hoops to jump through, more codec support would also be nice. Really, other than the faster and nicer looking interface the original Roku XD still does enough to not warrant an upgrade...even though I probably will.
post #22 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 23
Just got mine and made a video of the unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=92sGcRp8E_A
post #23 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris View Post

Just got mine and made a video of the unboxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=92sGcRp8E_A

nice, but you now have homework. does it output in RGB or YCbCr? does it give you the option to change it.

post #24 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

nice, but you now have homework. does it output in RGB or YCbCr? does it give you the option to change it.

+1000
post #25 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:

- Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

Not entirely true, you can stream from a local NAS using a private channel like Roksbox and if your NAS supports one of the web server requirements for the channel. It would have been nice to have it native from Roku without extra hoops to jump through, more codec support would also be nice. Really, other than the faster and nicer looking interface the original Roku XD still does enough to not warrant an upgrade...even though I probably will.

The problem with Roksbox, which I looked at, is that it doesn't add any codecs (as you alluded to). I can already listen to MP3s any number of ways...
post #26 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Mark

You are describing media players like the Popcorn Hour that cost 2-3 times as much. You can not reasonably expect all of that in a $99 device.
post #27 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

You are describing media players like the Popcorn Hour that cost 2-3 times as much. You can not reasonably expect all of that in a $99 device.

I disagree. A $90 Bluray player often is able to connect to on-line services and in addition supports DLNA for local network playback. It might not be as flexible as a dedicated local network streamer like the popcorn, dune or mede8er players, but would suffice for most users. The WDlive was the closest to this at the low end of the market.
post #28 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Apparently not.

But, as an aside, the Roku supports only MP3 and AAC. You'd be hard-pressed to find any player, at any price, that doesn't do better than that.

I'm not knocking Roku, I'm really not. As I said, I really like my XD. But I'd toss it for the Roku 3, and pay twice the price, if it had FLAC support.
post #29 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Looks quite neat. Have 2 and don't really need another Roku but the earphone functionality is very intriguing. The Roku isn't competing with the PCH and Dune players. It is not a general codec player. It would be just great if these zillion codecs went away. They aren't needed for the most part. Neither is FLAC in particular. Roku has to be concerned with media content rights. Not meant as a stream from NAS device. In any case, Plex works fine for that, and the Plex server runs on the NAS.

Philip
post #30 of 2016 Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Are you sure? I order a decent amount of stuff from Amazon and I noticed that they sometimes lag on updating their shipping status. I will see no status updates and then the item is at my door. Either way, Friday is tomorrow.

Pretty sure and it's still saying that it hasn't shipped. I ordered another piece of equipment from Amazon about five hours after I ordered the Roku 3 and they just sent me a shipping notice for that, shipped via ONTRAC and scheduled to get here tomorrow. Still plenty of time for them to ship it today for delivery tomorrow. I just hope that they haven't run out of Roku 3's.

I'm still a bit surprised at them taking my money a day before they shipped; I don't think they've ever done that before, though I guess I can't be sure.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Roku 3 Streaming Player

User Tag List