Would MOCA work for me? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
I was looking to extend my connectivity through out my house (as WiFi was not reaching the far end of the house).
I was looking at different alternatives and stumbled across MOCA.

Here is my setup:
  • I have High Speed Internet via comcast.
  • I have TV service via DirecTv
  • The point of entry for internet is via coax connector in my office (1st floor). It is connected to the router.
  • The point of Entry for DirecTv is via the basement and then it spreads through the house.
I am not sure if the coax between TV and Internet is connected any where in the house.

Now from what I hear, MoCA cannot be used with satellite due to the DeCA (or frequency sharing).
Is it still true for the latest version of MoCA? Any work arounds for this issue? Or do I have to use Powerline as a solution?
Any help will be greately appreciated.

Regards,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I opted for MoCA as an alternative to WiFi and it's been a great solution for my home. I was having issues streaming Blu-ray over WiFi. My WiFi speeds are well above what I get over MoCA but the physical wire is a much more reliable connection and streams video very well. At my weakest point I get about 90Mbps. Which is pretty good considering there are 3 splitters between the source and destination.

As for compatibility with DirectTV you can look into Multi-Band MoCA network adapters. Depending on how your coax network is setup there should be an appropriate adapter to get MoCA running. I have Verizon FiOS with a MoCA enabled router so for me it took about 2 minutes to get everything setup since Actiontec makes MoCA adapters specifically for Verizon coax networks.
ladhnur likes this.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
Any one else in the same boat as me?
May be some feedback or comments would help.
TIA
post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I purchased a DLINK power line Ethernet adapter. works great for me. some people have issues with it because of the way there house is electrically set up.

this is the one I got.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-d-link-powerline-av-500-4-port-gigabit-switch-kit-dhp-541-dhp-541/10181670.aspx?path=9ad6a0f122842b7bf06b77f43f994d43en02
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 PM

Nick,

I'm in a very similar situation as you! I am a TWC internet subscriber (coax to 1st floor office) and a Dish Network TV subscriber (several coax jacks throughout the house, with a Hopper and 3 Joeys). However, I do believe that all coax connections flow through a single box outside, i.e. installed when the house was built, so there must be some sort of splitting there that sends the proper signal to the proper jacks.

That said, my need for Moca - particularly as I don't have a basement for relatively easy wiring - is to bridge my network from the office to the first floor living room on the other side of the house. The problem as I see it is that the coax jack in the living room is currently used for the Dish Hopper. That is, if I was all-in with TWC for both CTV and internet, I wouldn't foresee an issue.

This multi-band option looks appealing, but it doesn't appear to have hit the market yet. But, again, if the signals are split at the box outdoors as I suspect they are, I am hard pressed to understand how Moca is an option for me (since the signal would have to "jump" between the otherwise split cabling carrying the Dish signal on one and TWC internet on the other).

Of course, I stand to be corrected in my [limited] understanding of how Moca works, so thanks for asking the question, and I wish you luck in solving your dilemma!

-Mike
post #6 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 14
This can be done through the use of Direct TV Broadband Deca Adapters - Model DECABB1MR0-01. These can run of your existing directtv line or a spare port on your mutliswitch. This also assumes you are using the latest Direct TV technology for LNB and switches called SWM (the items tend to have a green label on them. Do some looking at wiring diagrams off google. As for Dish Network I don't think anything like this exists. I can also post my wiring diagram if that will help too...

Also it is very important to review your existing directv components before buying anything as some boxes can actually power the DECA itself and do not need power adapters. My house has 3 H25 boxes therefore I need 4 of the adapters I listed above (1 for the router, 3 for each box location if network is needed there) as the H25s do not power the DECA.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoptic View Post

This can be done through the use of Direct TV Broadband Deca Adapters - Model DECABB1MR0-01. These can run of your existing directtv line or a spare port on your mutliswitch. This also assumes you are using the latest Direct TV technology for LNB and switches called SWM (the items tend to have a green label on them. Do some looking at wiring diagrams off google. As for Dish Network I don't think anything like this exists. I can also post my wiring diagram if that will help too...

Also it is very important to review your existing directv components before buying anything as some boxes can actually power the DECA itself and do not need power adapters. My house has 3 H25 boxes therefore I need 4 of the adapters I listed above (1 for the router, 3 for each box location if network is needed there) as the H25s do not power the DECA.

Thanks Sarcoptic.
Exactly the information that I needed.
Can you please answer my following questions?
1. Currently I have the "Wireless Cinema" ? I am guessing DECABB1MR0-01 is the same thing .... just wired version of it. Can you confirm that?
2. I think my multi-switch is in the basement (my office where Comcast internet comes in is right above it). So is it possible that I hook up DECABB1MR0-01 and pull the Ethernet cable to as input? Also connect the out to the multi-switch. Then on the 2nd floor I connect another DECABB1MR0-01 and use coax as input and Ethernet as output going to my Ethernet-device. All this with the existing "Wireless Cinema" still connected. Do u think this would work?
3. I am guessing that this setup is currently working for you. I will appreciate if you don't mind sharing some pictures/diagrams.

Thanks
Nick
post #8 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Yep that is the wireless version of the DECABB1MR0-01. So assuming you have H25 receivers in the other 2 rooms you will need to buy the DECABB1MR0-01 and a 2 way swm for each place you want an ethernet jack. You unhook the existing line from your box run that into the 2 way swm then the power pass line back to the receiver and the other side to the DECABB1MR0-01 then bang instant ethernet via coax smile.gif Wiring diagram coming a few minutes please don't laugh at how ghetto it will look smile.gif
ladhnur likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM

The most important part of my diagram is taking note of the power pass ports on the 4 way and 2 way switches (usually marked red on the switch). Let me know if this helps...so in the end each place there is a DECABB1MR0-01 gains me an ethernet port where you could run that into a network switch and hookup multiple components hard wired.
ladhnur likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcoptic View Post

The most important part of my diagram is taking note of the power pass ports on the 4 way and 2 way switches (usually marked red on the switch). Let me know if this helps...so in the end each place there is a DECABB1MR0-01 gains me an ethernet port where you could run that into a network switch and hookup multiple components hard wired.

Thanks Sarcoptic
I tried the setup you explained and I am happy to report that it WORKED.
The speeds are fast and consistent.
Hopefully this would be helpful to others as well.

Regards,
Nick
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page