Internet Rdio vs VTuner???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if im posting this in the respective place,but i am trying to figure these two out.I was using a Marantz amp that had intenet radio,NOW I have an Onkyo unit and it is called Vtuner...same but different.I find the audio bitrate was better thru the internet radio vs Vtuner..and Iam listening to the same station.
So Now I trying to add the radio station manually into Vtuner to see if it helps with quality ,but notice it needs to be a .pls or .m3u player(file).
When i used the Marantz Intenet radio also the song titiles would start to show up ,But never do with the Onkyo.
Any help would be appreciated.I prefered the Internet Radio app over the Vtuner thus far.Open to suggestions here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Really no one has any insight to this?

post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have an Onkyo 807 with VTuner, as well as a Samsung SMARTV, with Vtuner...I use it sparingly...there are a few stations that I go to, but not many. I use the web interface of the Onkyo, to add my own stations. Yes, you do need the .m3u extension. I also use the Pandora and SIRIUS connections to stream under iRadio in the NET function.
I have not been able to add LASTFM in to the directory, however.
My 807 has what is called "Music Optimizer" for iRadio, and mp3 streaming, which is supposed to improve audio quality of the file. I have it set to "on".

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am in Canada so a few of the apps are not supported up here.I use the music optimizer as well for mp3,or 2 channel stereo content.I am really only trying to figure out the differences in vtuner vs interent radio..Seems noone that is in this forum has clear understanding at this time.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

Seems noone that is in this forum has clear understanding at this time.
Not true actually....
There are several ways to stream audio over the internet and thousands of "stations" available. So the rub is "how do I get a list of stations broken down by genre, geo-location, etc"?
That's where services like VTuner, Reciva, Shoutcast, etc... come into the mix. They are simply a database type service that organizes all those thousands of streams into working links sorted by your criteria.
I have four internet radios- each uses it's own method of sorting and connection to working streams:
1) Acoustic Energy WiFi Internet Radio- uses the "Reciva" brand database to organize and send working stream links to the radio.
2) Linksys WMLS11B Internet Radio- uses the Linksys database to organize and send working stream links to the radio.
3) Sangean WFR-28 Rechargeable Portable WiFi Internet Radio- uses the "VTuner" brand database to organize and send working stream links to the radio.
4) Mutant MIG-PIR-1 M-Wavio Portable Pocket-Sized WiFi Internet Radio- uses the "VTuner" brand database to organize and send working stream links to the radio.

So in the end, VTuner and their competitors are simply services that help organize and present working links to media streams-they don't actually create content.
Unfortunately, streaming devices (unlike computers) are usually locked to one particular service and if that service is offline or goes out of business the device will no longer be able to find any media since all it's searching runs through the service provider's database.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I think, also, what the OP is forgetting is...an mp3 file, played on a better AVR, through better speakers, is still only an mp3 file. I don't think that you are going to get fidelity, on something that was designed for quick listening via a portable player. (music optimizer, or no) It's there for convenience, not critical listening....
Also, are you 100% certain, after switching receivers, that everything is connected correctly? That none of the speakers is out of phase?

post #7 of 12 Old 03-17-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

No all my stuff is hooked up correctly.
I try to stream a station like CJAYFM 92 CALAGARY...On the marantz it came thru as AAC and sounded exceptionally good,and i would get to see what was playing..ie..song title and artist.
The Onkyo w/ Vtuner streaming the same station comes thru at a lower bitrate sounds like a cambell tin can and no info of artist or song title ever show up,only the station logo.
Any ideas?

post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

From my experience with the Onkyo...you won't see song info, or station info. And maybe it's just a simple fact the the Marantz has better DAC's than the Onkyo.
It's a pretty sure bet that Onkyo has been skimping on materials, based on failure rate.

post #9 of 12 Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 PM

Liked: 12
like others have said; your stuck with the interface and display that comes with your receiver.

i use vtuner everyday all day to stream commercial free radio thru my HK avr 1700. i'm not a fan of vtuner but it's what comes with HK receivers. turn on receiver, wait for receiver to connect to vtuner and 2 menus later your listening to music.

i had a pioneer vsx1020k that had a great interface built in the memory similar to a webpage. it would tune to the last played station when you turned the receiver on. click and go, but it had drop out problems and wouldn't reconnect like vtuner does.

vtuner does not need a .pls or .m3u extension, only if the station streams thru .pls or .m3u does it need it, there is also .asx but most stream without those extensions. if you can open the station on your pc in winamp or windows media player and find the station information, the url for playing will be there. in winamp i right click on the header bar and click on file information. for windows media player go to file/properties and the url should be there. i like to listen to blues rock. KOQX is an excellent station, the streaming url is http://50.23.115.122:8420 enter that in vtuner and it will stream.

ya i know... i use winamp v5.03 from the dark ages
don't hate me biggrin.gif

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks..I used to use winamp back in the day..its all good..Thanks for info.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10
Anyone else who has good info on Vtuner stations and which they like as per type o music that'ld be great if u could post those.
There are so many choices that it numbs the brain.
For my own tastes rock/classic rock/hard rock which has to have singers at least try to carry a tune. No mind-numbing screaming or chanting or yelling or hollering thru the hole song.
I appreciate the blues rock station earlier posted- great find, thanx!!!
post #12 of 12 Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyo View Post

No all my stuff is hooked up correctly.
I try to stream a station like CJAYFM 92 CALAGARY...On the marantz it came thru as AAC and sounded exceptionally good,and i would get to see what was playing..ie..song title and artist. The Onkyo w/ Vtuner streaming the same station comes thru at a lower bitrate sounds like a cambell tin can and no info of artist or song title ever show up,only the station logo. Any ideas?

Late to this thread, but just bought my first Onk after owning several Denon AVR's and stumbled upon info regarding Onkyo and internet radio. IF I recall correctly apparently Onkyo does not support some extension of AAC (I don't remember the exact nomenclature) but the result is that any "HD" content streamed thru an Onk AVR will come thru with poor audio quality.

I don't remember where exactly I read that but it was while researching the Onk AV 8050, if you would maybe want to retrace the search you will likely find the same discussion. I find it odd that Onkyo would include only a rudimentary Vtuner app in their AVR while their primary competitor (Denon) includes a very robust and fully searchable internet radio app.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page