network disconnects from tv every 15 minutes. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-15-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i was using a netgear wndr3400 router and everything worked like a charm! i got a cisco e4200 which i thought was an upgrade and now the tv will stream a movie but for about 15 minutes. i am hoping it is just a setting i have over looked and not a faulty router. it has the latest firmware also. i have serviios ports forwarded correctly, i think. i have the ports forwarded to my tv and not the server.
the whole network just disappears from the tv, i mean serviio and the standard network icon disappear. but the tv is still connected because i can go to the smart hub and immediately stream netflix so i know it is still connected.
anyone have any ideas for me to try?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You shouldn't be manually forwarding ports, the e4200 should have a UPnP setting make sure that is enabled and remove your manual port forward entries. It should be all automatic from that point on, if the e4200 has an IGMP multicast option try enabling that too.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is this a wireless connection? If so then I'd guess it is the connection.

If not, I had similar problems with my Samsung TV connecting to a Win 7 server with Serviio installed, and subsequently with a Home Theater PC running OpenELEC (Linux). Turns out windows' networks don't play nice with linux, which is what most TVs use as well.

Performing the registry edit listed HERE solved my problem.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

You shouldn't be manually forwarding ports, the e4200 should have a UPnP setting make sure that is enabled and remove your manual port forward entries. It should be all automatic from that point on, if the e4200 has an IGMP multicast option try enabling that too.

sounds like you might know this router. i did a search on e4200 upnp and i read some crazy stuff that i have to do a 30/30/30 reset to get upnp working? this sounds crazy, anyone know about this?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Is this a wireless connection? If so then I'd guess it is the connection.

If not, I had similar problems with my Samsung TV connecting to a Win 7 server with Serviio installed, and subsequently with a Home Theater PC running OpenELEC (Linux). Turns out windows' networks don't play nice with linux, which is what most TVs use as well.

Performing the registry edit listed HERE solved my problem.

wouldnt this adjustment pertain to wireless connections also? seems it wouldnt hurt a thing to apply this reg edit regardless ehh?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

wouldnt this adjustment pertain to wireless connections also? seems it wouldnt hurt a thing to apply this reg edit regardless ehh?

It would apply to wired or wireless, however if wireless is the source of your problem, which is probable, this fix likely will not help, but it probably won't hurt either.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 12
Port forwarding is so the outside internet can get through your router to a device in your network. You don't have to do that for your setup. You should probably undo that, but actually that is probably not the reason it is disconnecting after 15 mins.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 253
How do you get your internet? I have ComCast and when my local ComCast upgraded to DOCSIS 3 my internet did that. Bought a new modem and haven't had a drop since.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM

I had a similar problem with using my Boxee Box to stream media. I even sent the Boxee Box back to D-Link because I was so certain it was the problem. It ended up being something rather simple. The DHCP server was only giving ip leases for 15 minutes at a time, so every 15 minutes it would screw the Boxee Box up. Not saying it is related, but definitely something to look at.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page