AVS Forum banner

Dish Anywhere

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  drunkpenguin 
#1 ·
Has ANYONE been able to get Dish Anywhere to work consistently with quality HD

over their network using the "sling Device"?

I sure have not and I have a reasonably fast network. I have tried wireless and power line.

See less See more
#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance  /t/1463541/dish-anywhere#post_23086557

It sounds like you are not using Dish Anywhere and I was looking more for comment from people using it successfully or unsuccessfully. But to answer your questions my home network and watching on a PC.
And why do you say that?  Nice attitude when wanting some help.  For the record I use it on my PC, Android tablets and phone and happen to be watching ESPN on my PC with it right now.  Bitrate over 8000kbps.  HD is a relative term and I wouldn't call the PQ great but it works.

#5 ·
After purchasing a Sling Adapter for my Hopper receiver, I was pretty excited about being able to watch programming anywhere. Unfortunately, I'm VERY disappointed with the Dish Anywhere service. It's very unreliable. The interface on my computer does not instill confidence whatsoever. It's flaky at best. I'm always having problems. Sometimes when I sign in (usually at night), I can get a live stream of whatever the receiver was last watching, but when I try to get it to bring up Primetime Anytime, it tells me my receiver is offline and needs to be reset. Same thing with recorded programs. Obviously my receiver is not offline if I can successfully stream live TV from the Sling Adapter. Dish's 'solution' of restarting the receiver and networking equipment is no help whatsoever.

I've used multiple computers, multiple operating systems, and multiple browsers. I have an 8 up, 35 down internet connection. In my opinion, Dish Anywhere is an epic failure. It is inconsistent, unreliable, buggy, and poorly implemented.

So, to answer your question, yes, there are others out there who have problems. Hey Dish: it's not our equipment. It's your idiotic interface.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance  /t/1463541/dish-anywhere#post_23086329

I sure have not and I have a reasonably fast network. I have tried wireless and power line.

I am happy to help you today! What type of mobile device are you using? Are you connecting through 3G/4G or Wi-Fi? Are you getting an error message on the screen? Do you know what your upload/download speeds are? If not, please go to speedtest.net to find these speeds and let me know what the results are.

Thanks

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance  /t/1463541/dish-anywhere#post_23086329

This is the problem with Dish Anywhere, I believe - you cannot stream from one device in your local network to another, the stream comes from the internet. Unless it's changed of course - I gave up long ago, as it was without a doubt the worst experience yet in my HT.

Since the response above indicates speedtest.net, it's still the same. Not worth the trouble IMO.

#8 ·
I haven't checked in a while and now that I have faster internet and harder to test but it did stream within your local network between devices. I verified this as I got faster stream rates than my isp plan. That being said, it still did need a web connection to "initiate and control" the transaction.

UPDATE: Just checked again, getting 8200+ kbps streaming from sling to home pc, my upload speed test is only 4000 kbps so it has to be streaming local to my network.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy  /t/1463541/dish-anywhere#post_23469355

UPDATE: Just checked again, getting 8200+ kbps streaming from sling to home pc, my upload speed test is only 4000 kbps so it has to be streaming local to my network.

Could anyone else confirm this? (would love if a dish rep could)

We just got the hopper w/ sling a couple weeks ago, and I have been using it to watch some prime time anytime shows on my android while my wife is watching her shows on the big screen.

This is all over our local connection, but it seems like our ISP is reporting higher bandwith consumption than we normaly have. 

We are on a limited amount per month, so I would like to be able to keep track of everything like this which could turn into high cost bandwidth consumption for us.

thanks for any help,

narfi

#10 ·

It's terrible.  I've been fighting with it for over a year now.  Sling crashes, 'could not connect to your DVR', and a half dozen other random errors pop up all the time.  Always have to downgrade the quality on HD channels.  It seems to especially like to crash right at the end of movies.

#13 ·
dish anywhere

i have dishnet for home internet where my hopper is but wanted to our 2nd house with high speed dsl & it streams @ 140-180 kbps. found out today that dishnet upload is 400 kbps so explains the fact that i can't get a fast signal. i guess the only way would be to have unlimited high speed internet where your hopper is

#14 ·
i have dishnet for home internet where my hopper is but wanted to our 2nd house with high speed dsl & it streams @ 140-180 kbps. found out today that dishnet upload is 400 kbps so explains the fact that i can't get a fast signal. i guess the only way would be to have unlimited high speed internet where your hopper is
does anybody know how to increase the upload speed of dishnet? i have called several times & they have quoted me 400 kbps to almost a meg but still can't get speed high enough to stream without buffering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.