Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys,

I'm looking for networking experts who can probably help me out here! I'll try to describe my situation with as much detail as possible.

So we have the 2Wire AT&T U-Verse router as our main broadband router; this router gives us Internet and I cannot change or replace this router. I have 3 other routers in 2 different locations, basically providing the different devices I have with Internet access.

What I want to accomplish at the end of everything is
(a) using my main (2Wire) router to assign static IP Addresses to each device on the network;
(b) having a single IP Network (192.168.1.xx) as opposed to multiple;
and (c) the devices should be able to see each other.

Right now, I have 2 of the 3 routers connected to the main (2Wire) router via Ethernet cable. The 3rd router is actually connected to one of the 2 routers via Ethernet cable. I'm connecting the Ethernet from the main (2Wire) to the WAN (Internet) ports on the additional routers .... This I presume is causing an issue as each router is acting as it's own independent router and creating new sub networks (10.0.0.x) etc. I need to change this; and also be able to assign static IP's to each device on the network from one main (2Wire) network.

Any advice in this matter will be extremely helpful!

Thanks.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You simply need to use the secondary routers as switches, you do not need extra routers. The easiest way with most routers is to not plug the cable from your 2 wire into the WAN port but one of the 4 porss. In most cases this tells the router it's a switch.

I too have a 2 wire router, but I dumbed it down to just a modem and use a real router. I get much better wireless signals and much more options for setup. I have 3 8 port switches and 2 4 port switches connected to my Asus router and everything works well.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

You simply need to use the secondary routers as switches, you do not need extra routers. The easiest way with most routers is to not plug the cable from your 2 wire into the WAN port but one of the 4 porss. In most cases this tells the router it's a switch.

I too have a 2 wire router, but I dumbed it down to just a modem and use a real router. I get much better wireless signals and much more options for setup. I have 3 8 port switches and 2 4 port switches connected to my Asus router and everything works well.

Matt,

This is the same advice I have received from some guides I saw online, and this is exactly what I plan on doing - disconnecting my secondary routers from everything first; setting up 192.168.1.x lan IP addresses on each of the three manually and then connecting them to my main 2Wire using one of four lan ports on them and not the WAN port.

I'm assuming you connected the 2Wire to your Asus router in one of its Lan ports.

I would have liked to have used my Netgear as the main router instead of 2Wire myself; but I only have 3 routers (no switches) and I need all 3 in locations different then where my 2Wire is sitting; and unfortunately the other 2 can't connect to the Netgear either due to proximity reasons. I do plan on using the Netgear for wireless though as it is an N router whereas 2Wire is only G.

Either way, this should work. I'll give it a shot today and write back. May have more setup questions if I hit a snag.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #4 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to write in an update; got everything configured & up and running. Connected routers at their lan ports instead of wan ports; assigned ip's manually and turned off dhcp on all except 2Wire.

Everything is working just as I wanted.

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #5 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 05:01 PM

Liked: 17
Good to see you got it figured out. I did something similar with my Uverse setup except I connected my Linksys router wan port to one of the Uverse gateways lan port. This way my Linksys does all the routing and wireless and the Uverse is just a modem. This way my router actually is seeing my public ip through the gateway.Assigned static ip's to all the devices in the house and everything is rock solid. I flashed dd-wrt onto my router and I can control everything....it's great. I did have a problem with the internet cutting out after a while and I traced it back to the routers firewall. Dd-wrt has a stout firewall and it wasent allowing dchp renewal packets from the Uverse gateway....thus having the gateway terminate the TCP connection to the router.

Sent from my Commodore 64
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriverdoug View Post

Good to see you got it figured out. I did something similar with my Uverse setup except I connected my Linksys router wan port to one of the Uverse gateways lan port. This way my Linksys does all the routing and wireless and the Uverse is just a modem. This way my router actually is seeing my public ip through the gateway.Assigned static ip's to all the devices in the house and everything is rock solid. I flashed dd-wrt onto my router and I can control everything....it's great. I did have a problem with the internet cutting out after a while and I traced it back to the routers firewall. Dd-wrt has a stout firewall and it wasent allowing dchp renewal packets from the Uverse gateway....thus having the gateway terminate the TCP connection to the router.

Sent from my Commodore 64

Eventually I'd like to do EXACTLY what you've done. There was a proximity issue regarding running ethernet cables and the placement of various segments of devices that prevented me from doing that. If I had one more router with gigabit lan ports - that would have done the trick.
The uverse router is remarkably useless, unfriendly & primitive. Your Way is the best way to go. For now everything works, but once ac routers touch sane prices, i'm sure I'll be getting one and that will put me in your setup.

Thanks.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Glad it all worked out.

Just a note on the 2 wire, there are some detailed directions on how to set it up correctly to act as a modem only, when you get to that point google it...
post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Glad it all worked out.

Just a note on the 2 wire, there are some detailed directions on how to set it up correctly to act as a modem only, when you get to that point google it...

Will Do!

I don't quite care for the Lan Table system in 2Wire ... place where you assign/define static IP's for different devices. It doesn't quite let you rename all the devices, only some, and for some reason won't let you assign fixed IP to every device either - only some. Haven't seen that before. All routers I used before always let you do that.

But either way, it's working fine for what I needed to achieve for now.

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page