Stream ripped VOB files with a pretty UI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!

I've seen this question kicked around some, but always with a slightly different focus than I've got, so I thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts for me.

I'm looking for a box that'll play ripped VIDEO_TS folders (full of VOBs) as though they were DVDs, with menus, extras, and the like.

And I'd like it to downloaded cover art and other information, so I could have a Netflix-like browsing experience.

It'd be great if the box could also play Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube (though that's less essential).

Wondering if anyone has recommendations as of March 2013!

A little background: 'm living in an NYC apartment, trying to reduce clutter. So I've used MacThe Ripper to rip a whole lot of DVDs. I like all the extras, menus, and such, so I've ripped them as VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders.. I've got space in my media cabinet, so I'm happy to just plug in a USB drive, which means network performance isn't so central. The plan is to put this box, and a USB drive, into my cabinet, running to the projector.

I had thought about getting a Boxee Box, which seems to do all this with a nice UI, but it's a dead product. WD-TV Live is interesting, but the UI for local content seems pretty lacking. Roku and AppleTV seem to not like VIDEO_TS folders.

So, any advice anyone's got it much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 45
WDTV Live is the closest, you could look at a Mede8er or Popcornhour A400 which both have jukeboxes with VIDEO_TS supports.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Does WDTV Live pull cover art for VIDEO_TS folders from the internet, or is it just a text list? I was under the impression that it was just text unless you loaded in each piece of cover art individually, but... is that actually... not true?

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
WDTV live does download box art and it does a good job if your file name doesn't have a bunch of extra stuff in it that throws off the search. Something like "movie title - year" would find the correct box art.

Neither the WDTV nor the roku will use the DVD menus, they go straight to the vob files and play them. Also WDTV does not do amazon, roku does.

I find the WDTV interface a little slow and plain, but my wife and kids can easily navigate it to find their content, so I don't mind. It would probably take a better processor to speed up the menus, but the video playback has no problems, so I can live with it the way it is.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Neither does menus? Shoot... Guess it's the Boxee for me, then!

Thanks for the help.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-28-2013, 05:49 AM

WDTV Streaming Live would do menu with DVD ISOs. It does good job of showing menu and playing anything from there. Works pretty much like a dvd player.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page