looking for a player that plays Apple format along with DTS-HD MA passthrough - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-26-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I am going to be brutally honest. I have searched far and wide for this answer, which I cannot seem to find. So, I ask you fine people on AVS. I have all my movies in MP4 format encoded with AC3/DTS passthrough using Handbrake. I have all my music encoded into Apple Lossless codec. I am using iPhoto for all my iPhone videos and photos. I am using iMovie for all my home videos, which has been encoded into MP4. All being shared from my IMac onto my AppleTV3. Now, with this in mind, I am asking all your nice people on this forum if there is a media player like Popcorn Hour that plays all the Apple formats with DTS-HD MA/ DolbyTrue HD passthrough? I am trying to keep with the Apple ecosystem as much as I can. It has served me well and has given me no issues. I have avoided encoding all my Blu-rays due to me liking the HD sound on my theater and I would like to use Handbrake to transcode my Blu-rays with DTS-HD MA Passthrough so my receiver can decode the audio while using the standard MP4 for the video. Again keeping with the Apple Ecosystem. Is there such a player that allows me to play all these??

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
dune players are doing all this (including Apple lossless). Only small problem : you will be limited to one jukebox (DuneX) for managing your movie collection. Other thing : don't expect dune players to be able to play gapless and don't expect a nice jukebox for music as dune players are very focused on video.

PCH might be an alternative with a nicer music jukebox.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If its apple lossless pch will not play it. also be wary of mp4/dts-hd this was not a true spec up until about a year ago I dont know if any players support it well, And if memory serves correct mp4/truehd is still not supported on anything.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page