post #61 of 68 Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonHung View Post

I don't need to provide anything. You're the one back peddling and trying to weasel out of your technical errors.

itznfb, if you want to continue playing we can take this to PMs and maybe if I'm bored I may entertain continuing this.

Shocker... no evidence provided. I'm not even reading your post because everything single thing you've said has been so profoundly incorrect it's not worth my time. Two things stuck out though. First, I didn't back peddle a single thing. If you think I did that only furthers the evidence of your misunderstanding of the entire subject of networking as a whole and your inability to follow this thread in the most basic of terms. Second, if I had any reason whatsoever to believe that you even had the slightest clue about anything related to networking I'd probably continue the conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleJuice View Post

All I know is that I got my switch today and hooked it up. I don't know if it's daisy chaining, uplinking, dowlinking, topologizing, loopinating, terminating, masturbating or what but I know it works and it works fast!

And you two love birds need to get a room!

Thanks.

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. The nice thing about modern desktop switches is their simplicity. Just plug it in and it works. Unless you do something crazy they are smart enough to intelligently get the traffic where it needs to go.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. The nice thing about modern desktop switches is their simplicity. Just plug it in and it works. Unless you do something crazy they are smart enough to intelligently get the traffic where it needs to go.

Ha, I agree - PickleJuice, that is one of the funniest statments I've seen here in a long time, made me laugh really hard!!!

Your last sentence is reall all that most here at AVS needs - it works. I know my network is extremely simple compared to what was being discussed, but it's probably what most here at AVS would used and works great. I didn't update the diagram, but it now includes 8 gigabit switches, all from Netgear (GS108 and GS105 depending on the needs of the room). There are 3 GS108's in the office linked in series to each other (so one connection to the router and then two others in a row). I have not seen any slowdown from the WEB/ISP, although I only get between 60-90Mbs depending on the time of day.

In any case, the main point is what you stated - just plug it in and it works....
itznfb likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #63 of 68 Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

The only Linksys 4 port 10/100 "switches" I've seen are routers. Not switches. They have a switch built in. But they also route. So anything you have plugged into the 4 port is on a segregated network from the 2000n.

A switch should just act as port extension of your router. In theory you can daisy chain (for example) 10 switches together and the devices on switch 1 should see the devices on switch 10 as if they were connected to the same switch. If you do the same with routers, first of all it will be a networking mess since they could very well be assigning the same subnet and IP range but you're also going to be creating a new network at each router.

i have a switch similar to this (newegg link) behind my av setup. i'm not sure what the difference is between a switch and a router, but they seem very similar. like i said, i can't see into the switch to set any subnet or ip info. i would certainly be open to suggestions. though my setup works, i just had to mainline it from the router and then insert the switch to get everything working biggrin.gif

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #64 of 68 Old 04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post

i have a switch similar to this (newegg link) behind my av setup. i'm not sure what the difference is between a switch and a router, but they seem very similar. like i said, i can't see into the switch to set any subnet or ip info. i would certainly be open to suggestions. though my setup works, i just had to mainline it from the router and then insert the switch to get everything working biggrin.gif

Oh man that switch is an oldie but a goodie. The Linksys EZXS55W is the same generation of hardware as the Linksys WRT54G. They are some of the best and most reliable home networking devices ever manufactured. Cisco gives a very simple explanation of switch vs router:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco.com 
Switches create a network. Routers connect networks. A router links computers to the Internet, so users can share the connection. A router acts as a dispatcher, choosing the best path for information to travel so it's received quickly.

Most home routers have a 4 or 5 port switch built into them as well as a firewall. Home routers are typically those 3 separate devices built into one.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #65 of 68 Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM

i still use a linksys wrt54g booted to ddwrt with a yagi antenna to get wifi in my shop 250 ft from my house
old technology is still good technology

post #66 of 68 Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlgren View Post

i still use a linksys wrt54g booted to ddwrt with a yagi antenna to get wifi in my shop 250 ft from my house
old technology is still good technology
How did you do that? I happen to have one of those mega yagi antennas in my attic not even being used for anything.
post #67 of 68 Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi ScoHo,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

How did you do that? I happen to have one of those mega yagi antennas in my attic not even being used for anything.
If by "mega yagi" you mean an old TV antenna, then that won't work. It's designed for the wrong frequencies.

A WiFi yagi is much smaller, and relatively inexpensive. Here is one:
http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-1800?gclid=CN78hfvWsbYCFa9eQgodkXEAkg

The thing to keep in mind is that cable losses are very high with 2.4 gHz. So the two antennas (It's best to have one at each end, pointing at each other) should be mounted very close to the access-points or routers, with a minimum of cable.

You can get dish-antenna access-points that can bridge 20 kilometers.
post #68 of 68 Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM

you can see my yagi antenna setup with router in my shop setup list link.
dd-wrt.com has lots of information on reformating routers
it was initially set up for use on linksys wrt routers with the screw on antennas
now they have hacks for attaching the yagi antennas on most any router

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page