"Upgrading" my router. Help me get it set up! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure if anyone here will be able to assist me on this matter, but I figured that this DOES fall into the networking category, so why not ask? I recently ordered a new dual-band router from Newegg (Asus RT-N56U). The unit that I'm currently using (Westell 7500) is a combo dsl modem/router that my ISP provides. Ethernet works flawlessly, but Wifi drops from time to time, and I NEVER get close to the 10 meg speed that I'm paying for via Wifi. Long story short, I want to disable the wireless aspect of my modem/router combo and ONLY use it as a modem to hook up the Asus unit to. I am somewhat tech savvy (enough to be dangerous,) but I don't really know much about setting up wireless networks and whatnot. I know the signal chain will be:

DSL -> Westell -> Ethernet port -> Asus' Ethernet port

Other than that, I am pretty well lost. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked: 12
This is probably not the right forum for this topic. But here is some help. Your DSL will rarely achieve the speed that you pay for because of overhead in the system. To find out your DSL speed, connect your Westell to your computer or laptop with an Ethernet wire and test it. Your Wifi should have about the same speed but then again, it depends on your wifi hardware and environment i.e. distance and obstacles etc..

OK, so Westell is giving you some problem. The Asus RT-N56U is a pretty good router. What you need to do is to log in your Westell and set it up as a bridge, that will disable its router function. Connect the Westell to the Asus Internet connection (blue) and enable DHCP on the Asus which now will provide all the router function. There are many DSL modems that you can buy and replace the Westell altogether. I had DSL for many years and found that separate modem and router works best for me. I am now on cable broadband with an Asus Rt-N66U.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

This is probably not the right forum for this topic. But here is some help. Your DSL will rarely achieve the speed that you pay for because of overhead in the system. To find out your DSL speed, connect your Westell to your computer or laptop with an Ethernet wire and test it. Your Wifi should have about the same speed but then again, it depends on your wifi hardware and environment i.e. distance and obstacles etc..

OK, so Westell is giving you some problem. The Asus RT-N56U is a pretty good router. What you need to do is to log in your Westell and set it up as a bridge, that will disable its router function. Connect the Westell to the Asus Internet connection (blue) and enable DHCP on the Asus which now will provide all the router function. There are many DSL modems that you can buy and replace the Westell altogether. I had DSL for many years and found that separate modem and router works best for me. I am now on cable broadband with an Asus Rt-N66U.

Thanks so much for the insight! That pretty much completely answers my question. I called up Century Link to see if they could send me a dedicated modem, but they SAID that the Westell combo is all they are using now. I'd really prefer to have cable broadband, but then I'd lose the bundle deal that I have with my DirecTV and Century Link DSL/home phone. I guess I could just go with Comcast for everything, but I REALLY don't wanna give up my DirecTV. At any rate...any suggestions on a dedicated DSL modem? Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12
There is no need to replace your Westell unless it's defective. The info to access your Westell is probably at the bottom of your router. Actiontech, D-link, Motorola are name brand of DSL modems. I think ATT standard issue modem for CT is the Westell 6100 dsl modem. There are more info for DSL at the DSLreports.com forums. I have Comcast TV and broadband but it's rather expensive.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Westell routers have an IP of 192.168.1.1

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page