NAS w/ Plex? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All of this networking and streaming stuff is all new and very confusing with all the different ways and programs to do it with.

So here's my questions and hopefully I got something right. I would like to rip all my blurays to a NAS; either mkv or iso. I was looking at getting a PCH or Dune to play these throughout my house ( 3 TVs ). But then I here about PLEX. I have primarily a Apple home, iPhone iPad apple desktop and laptop ATV. I was reading that Plex will allow movies on the NAS to be played on mobile devices when I'm not home. Is this true? It's my understanding that all I would need to do is install Plex on all computers and handhelds and everything should sync?
I also have a gigabit network throughout the house.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes it will work outside your LAN. No ISO support. Best to use mp4 or mkv if you prefer. You can put the server on a NAS or a computer. The server does not have to be on the same computer or NAS that the files are. The Plex Media Server also doubles as a DLNA server. I use a Synology 1512+ with the server on it ( also have a mini for that) and it works great with our mostly Apple home. Synology has an app called DS Video which is interesting.

Philip
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page