So, I have a lot of media streamers at my disposal and I am not sure what the best path for me is..
I just purchased the Synology and I love it, however it has me thinking if I actually made the right choice for what I am trying to achieve now and in the future. It is eligible for return still
Panasonic 65 VT50
PS3 (games, netflix, amazon prime)
Xbox 360 (games, netflix, amazon prime)
AppleTV 2 (airplay)
Synology ds213air (just purchased) w/ 2x 3gb WD Red raid 1
Pioneer Kuro 500m
Roku 2 XS
Right now, the Synology is running Plex Server (stream to roku, ps3, xbox, etc.) and Synology Videostation (stream to phones/ipad). In a nutshell, this is all I want to achieve and the Synology does it just fine, however
1. I do not like the ps3/xbox interface. Would rather have a nice interface such as plex or xbmc
2. Ps3/Xbox do not support MKV, so have to de/remux on the fly. The synology can do this BUT it eats up 95% of the CPU and the audio is degraded.
3. Most of my library is 1080p mkv files so I am not very interested in converting...
So is there a solution (I'm thinking nas+htpc?) which will allow me to run xbmc and hook directly up to the receiver and control it via a remote (I have an rf receiver) in the living room? What is the downside with an all-in-one NAS solution besides potentially being loud?
1. Can the solution run netflix, amazon prime, etc in HD and 5.1 sound? Or do I leave this to the PS3/Xbox/Roku
2. Can the solution play music?
3. What do you suggest for the bedroom?
4. The solution needs to be available via the internet remotely for streaming to pc, iphone, ipad, etc..
Ideally, I am trying to achieve a the simplest solution that gives me a house-wide media streaming solution with 1 interface (If I have to use another interface for netflix and amazon apps, so be it)
I am open to building the hardware if cheaper than purchasing a pre-made solution
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds