CAT6 in new house, lousy speeds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I just took ownership of a new home that I paid to have CAT6 prewired throughout.

They terminated in the finished rooms in CAT6 keystone jacks, and then the cables all were pulled into the basement network closet area.

I terminated one of them using a RJ45 CAT6 connector just for testing.

This is tied to a Netgear 24port Gigabit switch: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122058

When I tie my MBP directly to the switch using a cat 6 patch cable and run iperf connecting to a linux box on the same switch, I get what I would expect:

robs-MacBook-Pro:~ hitman$ iperf -c 10.10.10.3
Client connecting to 10.10.10.3, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 129 KByte (default)
[ 4] local 10.10.10.50 port 65077 connected with 10.10.10.3 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.09 GBytes 939 Mbits/sec

However, when I go upstairs and plug the same CAT6 patch cable into the keystone jack upstairs in my office:

robs-MacBook-Pro:~ hitman$ iperf -c 10.10.10.3
Client connecting to 10.10.10.3, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 129 KByte (default)
[ 4] local 10.10.10.50 port 65097 connected with 10.10.10.3 port 5001
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 113 MBytes 94.5 Mbits/sec

1/10 the performance.

The run is not that long (I don't have a fluke to test the distance, but it can't be more than 100-150ft from my office to the network drop location.

Can anyone think of a reason why I would see such a drastic performance hit by going through the in-house wiring vs tying directly to the switch?

Thanks!

My Home Theater Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That does seem rather strange.....have you tried in another room with wired connectivity? Maybe the patch in the office is bad/damaged or experiencing significant interference from a close power source/wire that isn't perpendicular to the patch in the wall. Running iperf/jperf is the way to go. I noticed that the switch isn't a smart/fully managed unit, could the interface that location is plugged into be bad? Do you have all your runs going to a patch panel? Or directly to the switch?
post #3 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

That does seem rather strange.....have you tried in another room with wired connectivity? Maybe the patch in the office is bad/damaged or experiencing significant interference from a close power source/wire that isn't perpendicular to the patch in the wall. Running iperf/jperf is the way to go. I noticed that the switch isn't a smart/fully managed unit, could the interface that location is plugged into be bad? Do you have all your runs going to a patch panel? Or directly to the switch?

I just tried a completely different room - exact same results through iperf. 113MBytes 94.5 Mbits/sec.

The switch is not a managed unit. I've tried moving the cables to different ports, but no change in results.

I have all the runs just terminating into RJ45 CAT6 connectors (not a patch panel). There are 2 per room with about 12 drops, so I haven't terminated them all yet - only the ones I've been testing with.

I am using CAT6 ends as well.

It seems odd that two different rooms have EXACTLY the same slow performance values. But when I tie the laptop directly into the switch with a short CAT6 patch cable (into the same port I had the slow speeds on), I get what I expect (gigabit speeds)...

Any other ideas as to what would be causing all this cat 6 cable in the house to have the same slow transfer speed? Maybe bad keystone jacks they used?

My Home Theater Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you sure they used gigabit jacks in the rooms upstairs?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Verify the pinouts are the same throughout, T568B on both ends. Remember all pairs are required for gigabit so make sure they're all terminated.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraZtiK View Post

Verify the pinouts are the same throughout, T568B on both ends. Remember all pairs are required for gigabit so make sure they're all terminated.

I second that!
post #7 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yup the next thing I did was actually pull apart the keystone jacks and see how they terminated there.

Turned out they terminated completely incorrectly.

It wasn't even T568A or B, it was a mash between them.

I think they were trying to terminate for T568A but the guy misread the jacks.

I pulled the wires out of one of the jacks and wired it properly and boom, everything works great. So now I'm trying to decide if I call them to get them to come fix their screw up or just do it myself... gonna take a while to do each and every one of these.

Thanks again for the responses.

My Home Theater Build:
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yup the next thing I did was actually pull apart the keystone jacks and see how they terminated there.

Turned out they terminated completely incorrectly.

It wasn't even T568A or B, it was a mash between them.

I think they were trying to terminate for T568A but the guy misread the jacks.

I pulled the wires out of one of the jacks and wired it properly and boom, everything works great. So now I'm trying to decide if I call them to get them to come fix their screw up or just do it myself... gonna take a while to do each and every one of these.

Thanks again for the responses.

Call them and have them fix their mistake. Hopefully that will keep them from doing it again.

Looky here!
post #9 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 172
If the installer is that bad- he wired simple color coded keystone punchdown jacks incorrectly- I wouldn't let him back in my house again.
Pull all the jacks- pull the wires out of the crimps, cut the wires back a half inch- then re-punch them all correctly. At least that way you'll know they're all done right.

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #10 of 11 Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just be sure both ends are the same scheme, A or B, it doesn't matter which (though some folks think it does).

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

If the installer is that bad- he wired simple color coded keystone punchdown jacks incorrectly- I wouldn't let him back in my house again.
Pull all the jacks- pull the wires out of the crimps, cut the wires back a half inch- then re-punch them all correctly. At least that way you'll know they're all done right.

This is what I ended up doing anyway. I didn't feel like waiting on them to come out and fix it, and then me having to go back and check that they fixed it properly.

My guess is that they aren't used to doing cat6 pulls. I paid a little extra for them to pull cat6 instead of cat5e. Since they pulled cat6, the guy who punched them down to the cat6 keystone jacks might not have known they were different (the keystone jack punchdowns).

Each keystone jack was punched down properly for T568 by the order the wires were punched down into the jack (WG/G/WO/Bl/WBl/O/WBr/Br) however he didn't take into account that the jacks were actually labelled and color coded to be punched down as (WG/G/WO/O/WBl/Bl/WBr/Br... or something like that) and then an internal crossover happened in the jack. It basically caused all the connections to throttle down to fast ethernet which was why I was seeing those cruddy speeds.

Either way, its all fixed - I got every jack fixed and punched down to my patch panel and tested, so I'm good to go.

My Home Theater Build:
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page