Network/Switch Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
So this has been driving me crazy. About 3-4 weeks ago I started having issues with my Desktop PC. I run a VPN program that kept crapping out, my PC would drop off the network for short periods and come back on, etc... I figured that somehow my NIC setting on my PC got screwed up, and most likely I would need to just do a clean reinstall. Haven't really had time to dig in to.

This weekend I started working on a new server build and ran into a whole bunch of issues (separate thread for lol). One thing though is that I can't get the NIC working properly. This had me thinking, the new server and my desktop PC are connected to the same switch. Additionally I have run into some issues streaming movies (my current server is connected to the same switch as well), and my networked printer (once again same switch) keeps dropping off my PC. So the more I think about it, I am thinking the issue is not my PC but the switch is going bad. Its an HP Procurve switch which I am thinking I have had for close to 3-4 years.

So now here is the dilemma, I ran out yesterday and picked up a new switch (Linksys). Replaced the HP switch with the Linksys one and now none of my connected devices can get on the network/internet. Thinking maybe the Linksys switch was bad I grabbed one of my DLink switches that I have been using in another room without issue, and same problem. I plug the HP switch back in and everything works. So somehow it appears my network is locked in to the HP switch, any ideas?????

Further info, there are several other switches involved. In my basement is my Linksys Router which connects directly to an HP Pro Curve switch. From there I have a cat6 wire that runs from the Pro curve across my basement and up to the first floor. It connects to a Netgear Switch (and from this switch cat6 is then distributed throughout my house). I tried restarting both the Pro Curve and Netgear switch and no luck. Also what is odd, even if there was an issue coming from one of those switches (which in this case are simply providing the internet connection) it shouldn't affect the devices being able to see each other with the new switch (the devices that are all connected to the same switch), correct?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
No MAC filtering setup for security or anything of that nature?

Bill
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

No MAC filtering setup for security or anything of that nature?

Bill

Nope, never messed around with any of that. Just some "dumb" gigE switch. Don't believe I ever did anything special with my router settings or on my PC

I may just have to unplug everything in my network, and go one by one from there

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

I may just have to unplug everything in my network, and go one by one from there

That was going to be my suggestion, lol.

Bill
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page