Need suggestions on PoE setup. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, i have a question regarding setting up an IP security system and the use of a PoE switch.

This is for a mobile application but I don't think that matters for my question. Maybe, maybe not. My setup requires the use of a 4in1 PoE switch to power 4 IP cameras. My problem is that the cameras are going on the roof of a vehicle and can not easily get 12v power up there but can get a single cat5 cable.

So the question is, can i use a standard networking switch at the cameras, then a single cat5 line to the trunk of the car, to the PoE switch.., and then to the NVR. I guess the trick here is how to power the second switch.

I'd love to kick this around a bit if anyone has any thoughts or new ideas. Also, if there is someone that has mobile video surveillance experience I'd love to chat a bit off-forum on a consultancy basis.

Also a big thanks to the forum for help with a 3D projection system i installed a couple years ago. It turned out great !

Phil.
phil@infostreet.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by philom5 View Post

So the question is, can i use a standard networking switch at the cameras, then a single cat5 line to the trunk of the car, to the PoE switch.., and then to the NVR. I guess the trick here is how to power the second switch.

Being that the cameras are POE, they each need a direct feed from your POE switch. So what you describe above will not work. If you can get 1 cat5 to the roof, why not 4? Run all 4 into the trunk.