Content streaming from PC to Smart TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
notquitestr8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK Gang, most of this is over my head, but I do have a question that I think you'll be able to answer. I just bought a new smart TV and Surround sound system.

Panasonic TC-P55ST60
Yamaha YHT-497 Home Theater Package
PC dual-boots WIN7 and Ubuntu but most files on WIN7

Both HT items have internet access and the TV provides plenty of content. However, I do have content that is on my PC that I would like to stream to the TV.
Also, the PC has a Blu-ray player and an HDMI connection. However, the TV is in a different room than the PC.
I'm guessing I am S.O.L on the bluray player and will have to buy one but what about the files on my hard drive?

I know the TV can support the MKV and other files that are on my PC because they will play them from a USB thumbdrive.
Is there a way to make the TV "see" them on the network? Do I need another piece of hardware like Roku or is there a software solution? The Roku looks like it offers a lot of content but the TV can do the same. I simply want to TV to be able to read the shares on the PC. The TV supports DNLA but I don't know much about it.
Any advice is appreciated.
notquitestr8t is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
myoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by notquitestr8t View Post

OK Gang, most of this is over my head, but I do have a question that I think you'll be able to answer. I just bought a new smart TV and Surround sound system.

Panasonic TC-P55ST60
Yamaha YHT-497 Home Theater Package
PC dual-boots WIN7 and Ubuntu but most files on WIN7

Both HT items have internet access and the TV provides plenty of content. However, I do have content that is on my PC that I would like to stream to the TV.
Also, the PC has a Blu-ray player and an HDMI connection. However, the TV is in a different room than the PC.
I'm guessing I am S.O.L on the bluray player and will have to buy one but what about the files on my hard drive?

I know the TV can support the MKV and other files that are on my PC because they will play them from a USB thumbdrive.
Is there a way to make the TV "see" them on the network? Do I need another piece of hardware like Roku or is there a software solution? The Roku looks like it offers a lot of content but the TV can do the same. I simply want to TV to be able to read the shares on the PC. The TV supports DNLA but I don't know much about it.
Any advice is appreciated.

Get the TV on your wired/wireless network - enable DLNA access on the television - access and playback files on your shares. It's possible that you can see those shares already - you just need to get to Viera Remote on your set, and choose the device you wish to access.

We always suggest to read the friendly manual:

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_ST60.PDF
Page 64:
This TV is a DLNA Certified
product.
DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is a standard that makes DLNA
Certified digital electronics easier and more convenient to use on a home
network. To learn more, visit www.dlna.org. It allows you to share photos,
videos and music stored in the DLNA Certified media server (for example,
PC with Windows 7/Windows 8 installed, etc.) connected to your home
network, and enjoy the contents on the TV screen.
Media server
Store photos, videos or music into the DLNA Certified media server, and
then you can enjoy them on the TV.
To use a PC as a media server
Prepare the PC with Windows 7/Windows 8 or ensure the server software
is installed on the PC. "Windows 7/Windows 8" is the server software that
has been tested for compatibility with this TV (as of November, 2012). Any
other server software have not been tested with this TV, therefore
compatibility and performance cannot be assured.
Windows 7/Windows 8
The setup for homegroup settings of Windows 7/Windows 8 is required.
For details, refer to the help functions of Windows 7/Windows 8
myoda is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
notquitestr8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, this is embarassing. Thanks for the link to the manual. I didn't see it when I set it up but probably missed something. I'll work on it tonight.
Thanks again!
notquitestr8t is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
notquitestr8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK,I was able to connect to my PC. However, the TV does not recognize any of my MKV files. The manual says it supports them but they won't even show up. I moved one to a USB drive and it doesn't show up using that either. Now what?
notquitestr8t is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Is your thumb drive formatted to a file system your tv can read? I'm sure most still require Fat16/32
DotJun is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
notquitestr8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes sir. It can see other files on the USB from the TV, i.e MP4 but none of the .mkv. I specifically purchased this TV because it supported MKV. I set my sister up with a BluRay player and the exact same files from the exact same USB play just fine through that. I may have to go the same route. I'll do a little more research on this. Is there an easy way to determine the codec used so I can match it to what Panasonic says it supports?
notquitestr8t is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
DanPackMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
2 thoughts...

Some TVs can be picky.... like if the file extensions are .MKV vs .mkv

Try updating your TV firmware if possible.
DanPackMan is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by notquitestr8t View Post

Yes sir. It can see other files on the USB from the TV, i.e MP4 but none of the .mkv. I specifically purchased this TV because it supported MKV. I set my sister up with a BluRay player and the exact same files from the exact same USB play just fine through that. I may have to go the same route. I'll do a little more research on this. Is there an easy way to determine the codec used so I can match it to what Panasonic says it supports?

Mediainfo will tell you what you are looking for: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
DotJun is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

2 thoughts...

Some TVs can be picky.... like if the file extensions are .MKV vs .mkv

Try updating your TV firmware if possible.

Remember that mkv is just a wrapper. If your tv doesn't support the codec needed then it won't play even if the file is located inside a supported wrapper.
DotJun is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
notquitestr8t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did some digging. Most of the MKV files I have are using Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC. The TV only supports H.264 and MPEG1/MPEG2. This TV is only 6 months old. A TV firmware update does not help.
That said, is there an easy way to downgrade to MPEG2 or will it require the same amount of work as it is to convert to MP4?
Thanks
notquitestr8t is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off