post #271 of 423 Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

To my knowledge which has been reinforced by Sony pro 4K representative, there is no spinning drive in the X1. It is static circuitry and the only hum or buzz from the unit itself is electrical and not mechanical.

Again, I'm told because both the TV and the X1 are on the same network, there will be modest electrical consumption and connectivity when watching any TV source.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---

So are you indicating by saying that, that Sony managed to equip the X1 with a 1 TB SSD (which average over $500 by themselves) into a $699 4K media player?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 423 Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

So are you indicating by saying that, that Sony managed to equip the X1 with a 1 TB SSD (which average over $500 by themselves) into a $699 4K media player?

This was info from three separate Sony reps and the final call to 4K engineering who has one sitting right there. (BTW they hear the buzz too.)

Until such time that an adventurous soul decides to crack one open, I can only go on the information I'm provided by "people in the know."

Remember, I'm the guy that has been told countless times that 4K applications are in the works for the A model firmware.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #273 of 423 Old 03-10-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This was info from three separate Sony reps and the final call to 4K engineering who has one sitting right there. (BTW they hear the buzz too.)

Until such time that an adventurous soul decides to crack one open, I can only go on the information I'm provided by "people in the know."

Remember, I'm the guy that has been told countless times that 4K applications are in the works for the A model firmware.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony

Yeah so you are saying that is your understanding then, the X1 is equipped with a 1TB SSD. If so it would represent one hell of an achievement in hardware value.

There def aren't any photos of disassembled X1's online anywhere. I'm half tempted to open up my secondary unit to see for myself.

post #274 of 423 Old 03-10-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

The X1 is actually 2TB and SSD of this size have just been announced.

I can also hear the HDD heads moving whenever the unit is working so that it total BS.

My faulty memory. Yes of course it does. Making my earlier point which was more about the total improbability of it having an SSD period. That seals it though since it is most def 2 TB..

post #275 of 423 Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:

The X1 is actually 2TB and SSD of this size have just been announced.

I can also hear the HDD heads moving whenever the unit is working so that is total BS.

Very true, I can feel the unmistakable movement of a conventional disk drive. Lee, it would be interesting if you were to go back and challenge your source of information to see what he has to say.
post #276 of 423 Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Very true, I can feel the unmistakable movement of a conventional disk drive. Lee, it would be interesting if you were to go back and challenge your source of information to see what he has to say.

Agreed. Whenever I put my hand on top of the X1, I can very much feel the vibration of a conventional hard drive. I've certainly had plenty of devices like mediaplayers equipped with internal HDD's and the movement is unmistakeable.

post #277 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody know a site that keeps current about the movies releases for the FMP-X1?

I think it is understandable that there is not more iinterest in such a device when one cannot even look up what is available on it today. This is all the more astonishing given the fact that the manufacturer of the server (Sony) can easily keep track of all releases.
post #278 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Does anybody know a site that keeps current about the movies releases for the FMP-X1?

Sony has a PDF here but it has been awhile since it was updated.
post #279 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, that is the one site that I have bookmarked, but as you say no updates for some time now.
post #280 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Noticed that American Hustle is in the 4K section to buy or rent. I wonder if the previews are in 4k or 1080P? Anyone know the answer? Think I'll pass on AH and rent it on Blu-ray. Also, my puck takes a long time to connect with the TV, it's like worse than the old first generation of HD players by Toshiba, come on Sony, for the price can't you do better than this?

Bill
post #281 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

..my puck takes a long time to connect with the TV

It shouldn't take more than 15 seconds from the time you press 4K app for full X1 menu to load.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #282 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:

It shouldn't take more than 15 seconds from the time you press 4K app for full X1 menu to load.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
Wonder why mine takes so long, is there a certain way to turn it on to make it faster? I usually turn on TV then go to apps. and to 4K. and it takes sometimes 3 or 4 minutes or longer to finally to X1 menu.

Bill
post #283 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wonder why mine takes so long, is there a certain way to turn it on to make it faster? I usually turn on TV then go to apps. and to 4K. and it takes sometimes 3 or 4 minutes or longer to finally to X1 menu.

There is a 20 second startup the TV needs to go through when first powered on. I find the TV's menu is a bit sticky if you try to access it too soon after powering on. If the TV's been on for a while and you go to 4K apps, does it shorten the time it takes the X1 to load? My X1 black screens for a moment, then the golden 4K comes up and the titles load.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #284 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39

Is there a thread dedicated to the 4K movies available? It might be helpful to share reviews of the downloads.

For example, I paid $29 to get "Body Double," an old favorite movie. Picture quality was awful, totally grainy, leading me to believe the film had never been remastered, just digitized. I didn't even finish watching it.

If there's no such thread, shall we start one, to keep that discussion separate from the equipment itself?

billymerritt likes this.
post #285 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Is there a thread dedicated to the 4K movies available? It might be helpful to share reviews of the downloads.

For example, I paid $29 to get "Body Double," an old favorite movie. Picture quality was awful, totally grainy, leading me to believe the film had never been remastered, just digitized. I didn't even finish watching it.

If there's no such thread, shall we start one, to keep that discussion separate from the equipment itself?
I already tried and seems not enough folks interested because of prices are so high. Like you said, some of the movies look so bad not even HD quality. Guns of Navarone looked good considering the age but Body Double is much newer, so don't know if Sony is pulling our leg about being 4K or not? I bought the Mask of Zorro and it's mostly good video but there is still not the overwhelming visual you would expect from a 4K, at least to my eyes. Maybe if we keep this tread going with our inputs in may help other members decide however such a meager selection makes it hard for anyone to consider most of the movies. Seems the short demos are only ones to look like it should!

Bill
post #286 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Grain is part of film. Faithfully reproducing grain is one area where 4K has a huge advantage over 1080p.

I've watched all of the samples and Sony has done a great job with all of these transfers. They look exactly the way they should.
Maybe folks are expecting to much and don't really know what quality film is meant to look like, especially the older movies, which I expect film grain to be more prevalent as they were made that way. Guns of Navarone is an example of that, and I enjoyed the movie and parts of the video were demo worthy for me and some were just okay.

Bill
post #287 of 423 Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Noticed that American Hustle is in the 4K section to buy or rent. I wonder if the previews are in 4k or 1080P? Anyone know the answer? Think I'll pass on AH and rent it on Blu-ray. Also, my puck takes a long time to connect with the TV, it's like worse than the old first generation of HD players by Toshiba, come on Sony, for the price can't you do better than this?

Thanks for the heads up. Just cancelled my Amazon order. No more blu-ray duplicates sitting around for me if can avoid it with new releases.

post #288 of 423 Old 03-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

After getting a triumvirate from Sony saying one thing, I finally got the answer you all speculated was the case.

The X1 has a spinning hard drive.

I stand corrected.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
jjnbos likes this.
post #289 of 423 Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After getting a triumvirate from Sony saying one thing, I finally got the answer you all speculated was the case.

The X1 has a spinning hard drive.

I stand corrected.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony

I don't think there was much to be speculated about anyway. What other possible storage medium might it have possibly been using to provide the 2TB of storage? I put my hand on mine yesterday on start up and much as AustinJerry commented a couple of posts back, I once again felt the unmistakeable vibration of a hard-drive spooling up.

post #290 of 423 Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, you're right.
post #291 of 423 Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 AM

Unfortunately I have to use captions and subtitles as I am hearing impaired. The subtitles on the FMP-X1 movies are not near as good as Blu-ray movies. If Sony could ad some options for the captions to make more like Blu-ray it would be a huge deal for me. The default of solid black background for the captions make it look like old TV analog captions, and hey this is 4k video, and surely Sony can improve this, I hope!
jjnbos likes this.

Bill
post #292 of 423 Old 03-14-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I have to use captions and subtitles as I am hearing impaired. The subtitles on the FMP-X1 movies are not near as good as Blu-ray movies. If Sony could ad some options for the captions to make more like Blu-ray it would be a huge deal for me. The default of solid black background for the captions make it look like old TV analog captions, and hey this is 4k video, and surely Sony can improve this, I hope!

For something done as much in a hurry as the FMP-X1 and its content I think that the inclusion of captions is already an achievement in itself.
I just hope that whatever format comes along will allow players to generate their own subtitles - sometimes the subs are so hideously tall on Blu-ray that one has to think it would not look out of place on a VHS tape - this is completely inappropriate for a high rez medium where it is a given that one has to sit closer to appreciate all the detail that comes with the added resolution.
billymerritt likes this.
post #293 of 423 Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Fantastic - this is what I would have hoped for with Blu-ray. Maybe it looks not quite as polished as subs on Blu-rays but then you will nevr have to suffer gigantic yellow subtitles that cover half of the screen smile.gif
post #294 of 423 Old 03-15-2014, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

What other possible storage medium might it have possibly been using to provide the 2TB of storage?

I've got a 2TB backup drive that cost me $200, but its probably not fast enough for 4k video.

I have 1TB of SSD (aka Solid State Drive) in my laptop ($800) so it could easily have been done with flash, but the price for that fast, fast drive is relatively high.

It almost defies belief how the price of memory and storage continues to drop after 50 years of Moore's Law.

DRAM 25 years ago cost 48,000x more and was 1,000x slower

Disk is 1,00,000x cheaper now, but SSD is almost 100x more expensive. But $1 GB for fast SSD is still amazing to me...
post #295 of 423 Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I've got a 2TB backup drive that cost me $200, but its probably not fast enough for 4k video.

I have 1TB of SSD (aka Solid State Drive) in my laptop ($800) so it could easily have been done with flash, but the price for that fast, fast drive is relatively high.

It almost defies belief how the price of memory and storage continues to drop after 50 years of Moore's Law.

DRAM 25 years ago cost 48,000x more and was 1,000x slower

Disk is 1,00,000x cheaper now, but SSD is almost 100x more expensive. But $1 GB for fast SSD is still amazing to me...

Yeah that's all fantastic, I have SSD's in Laptops and PCs. And yes, as always the cost of storage continues to get cheaper. I don't get the relevance here to the fact the existing X1 as manufactured contains a conventional HDD. It could not have easily been done with SSD as we've already established the X1 requires 2TB of storage (and that's pretty woeful for 4K movie size), especially if you have all of the preloaded movies intact which takes you over 1.5TB storage used..

post #296 of 423 Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 PM

I just purchased the media server to go with my 65X900A but I can not find the 10 pre-loaded movies anywhere.I will call sony on Monday, but does anyone have any idea where they may be found??thanks, Ron
post #297 of 423 Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyder005 View Post

I just purchased the media server to go with my 65X900A but I can not find the 10 pre-loaded movies anywhere.I will call sony on Monday, but does anyone have any idea where they may be found??thanks, Ron

The movies are loaded but they are not free. The free movie bonus expired on 12/31/13. For example, when I bought "The Amazing Spider-Man", it turned out it was already on the puck and didn't need to be downloaded. The problem is you cannot tell which movies are already there and which need to be downloaded until you pay for them. At least I couldn't. Also, I think the puck downloads on its own in the background and keeps itself pretty full.

Forgive a probably silly question, but you got the Sony tablet and downloaded the 4K app to it from the Google Play store, right?

post #298 of 423 Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyder005 View Post

Have you been following this thread?  Many of us feel that the current X1 media server is a poor investment, and that it is likely to be replaced in the near future with a new media player that can accept 4K video streams.  Unless you got the X1 for an incredibly low price (e.g. free), I would consider returning it while you still can.  The available content from Sony Entertainment Network is limited, and purchasing movies is expensive.

post #299 of 423 Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One issue I've found now is that I can't figure out a way to delete these movies without buying them first. rolleyes.gif

You could probably move them to an external HDD and just disconnect it - that way you can even get them back in case you change your mind smile.gif
post #300 of 423 Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:

I don't get the relevance here to the fact the existing X1 as manufactured contains a conventional HDD. It could not have easily been done with SSD as we've already established the X1 requires 2TB of storage (and that's pretty woeful for 4K movie size), especially if you have all of the preloaded movies intact which takes you over 1.5TB storage used..

hmmm

My 2T external SSD drive cost $200 retail has 2TB capacity and is the size of a deck of cards.

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-9000298-Rugged-Mini-Disk/dp/B00IRV005E/ref=sr_1_5/182-9075121-3091755?ie=UTF8&qid=1394960869&sr=8-5&keywords=lacie+2tb+rugged

SO I think we established it could easily have been built with a SSD, but it wasn't :-)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread