post #331 of 423 Old 04-05-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

In another thread about the VW1000ES projector it seems as if people got 300$ worth in vouchers which they can use towards purchasing the movies they want.
Seems like a great idea and much better than having movies on there that many of us will not even watch when they are for free.

A few posts up we talked about the number of movies that should/could come out per month and/or week - has anybody contacted Sony to ask them about their release plans for this year?

It seems to me that Sony still is sitting on quite a few 4k scans of classic movies like Dr. Strangelove or The Man From Laramie plus possibly soon another large format movie with Lord Jim that is slated for a June release on Blu-ray in France.
A few new releases will hopefully be handled in 4k even if the CGI will have to be upscaled - just don't dumb down everything to 2k - it is a colossal waste!

That wasn't just for any owners of 1000's, it was for owners who purchased the upgrade kit including the X1 last year but didn't get the install done by Sony prior to the end of the free movie deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 423 Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

That wasn't just for any owners of 1000's, it was for owners who purchased the upgrade kit including the X1 last year but didn't get the install done by Sony prior to the end of the free movie deal.

That is correct, my point was that it is much better to give the buyer the choice of movies and of course to give them something in the first place.

I am also wondering about the price of 699$ that gets mentioned here. I was under the impression that it should always come with a 200$ rebate for those who already own a Sony 4k display?
post #333 of 423 Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

I am also wondering about the price of 699$ that gets mentioned here. I was under the impression that it should always come with a 200$ rebate for those who already own a Sony 4k display?

There is no other television that works with the X1. The offer was for the initial sales push of the player.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #334 of 423 Old 04-05-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

There is no other television that works with the X1. The offer was for the initial sales push of the player.

And the intended sales push meant that nobody had to pay more than 499$ initially - when did that 200$ off offer expire?
post #335 of 423 Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And the intended sales push meant that nobody had to pay more than 499$ initially - when did that 200$ off offer expire?

There was an expiration date for the $200 coupon, I remember seeing it when I printed out my coupon. Now the only special deal for the X1, is when it's bundled with a TV, either from Sony or Best Buy etc. The 65/900 and the X1 combo price is $4500.

I understand your comment about always discounting the player to owners of the TV, since they've spent a chunk of change buying the display, but Sony has had various offers come and go, the latter generally being tied to a paired buy of the TV and the player.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
--- Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #336 of 423 Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 61
has anyone figured out how to load onto a hard drive 4k movies made by Sony FDR-AX100 or other 4k cameras that can be connected to the Sony 4K streamer's USB port?
thanks
post #337 of 423 Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post

has anyone figured out how to load onto a hard drive 4k movies made by Sony FDR-AX100 or other 4k cameras that can be connected to the Sony 4K streamer's USB port?
thanks

No, its not intended to work that way. It's purely automatically managed, slave storage expansion for the X1. The best way to view those movies would be to either play straight from the camera into 4K display or from a laptop capable of 4K output.
William Chiu likes this.

post #338 of 423 Old 04-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39

TV shows in 4K?

The tablet is offering me The Blacklist and Breaking Bad. I don't plan to buy them, but I'm curious whether TV shows are now being recorded in 4K.

post #339 of 423 Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems that you cannot turn off the TV or even change inputs while the 4k movies are downloading. If you do this, it will stop the downloads. Is there a way around this?
post #340 of 423 Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdc View Post

It seems that you cannot turn off the TV or even change inputs while the 4k movies are downloading. If you do this, it will stop the downloads. Is there a way around this?

That is not working correctly. On the X1, the green download LED should remain on when the TV is shut off. You should be able to watch any other input and still have you player pulling in data.

Just checking, are both devices connected to the same network?

Otherwise, call Sony 4K support 855-476-6945.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #341 of 423 Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 AM

Hmm, there is one light that remains on when i turn off the TV. Will check if it is the download light. Shouldn't there be two lights? Please see the two replies of Sony Support below

Rex,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Please note that it is not possible to change the Input while you are downloading a movie from the FMPX1 4K media player.

The Sony Email Response Team
C5BT
Megan

Michael Rex Dela Cruz,

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I understand that you want to turn off your television while 4K media player is downloading movies.

I am sorry that the television needs to be on while downloading movies. Maybe in future we may add this feature where in you can switch off the televison while downloading movies on the player. However currently this option is not available.

The Sony Email Response Team
C5AU
Noah
post #342 of 423 Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Here is the order of how my X1 and TV are working. There are two LED's on the X1, one is "network" the other is "HDD"

Turn TV on
Go to 4K application, network led lights
Start downloading something on the X1, network light remains on, hdd led lights (program downloading)
Turn off TV, network light goes off, hdd light remains on until program is downloaded.

I can change to cable box, blu-ray etc while X1 downloads until completion.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #343 of 423 Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 PM

You are right, it is downloading even if the TV is turned off. Don't know why Sony support says so otherwise confused.gif Thanks
post #344 of 423 Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdc View Post

You are right, it is downloading even if the TV is turned off. Don't know why Sony support says so otherwise confused.gif Thanks

The learning moment is to never trust what a Sony support rep says--they have been proven over and over again to be wrong on even some of the simplest questions.  You will usually get the right answer in the AVS thread.

post #345 of 423 Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can not believe how incompetent sony support is.I call "technical support" and I get a person I can not even understand that has no idea what I am talking about. She seems to be only interested in selling me something else.
post #346 of 423 Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnyder005 View Post

I can not believe how incompetent sony support is.I call "technical support" and I get a person I can not even understand that has no idea what I am talking about. She seems to be only interested in selling me something else.

What was the issue you were asking about?

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #347 of 423 Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I just bought the 65" xbr. The salesman offered me $200 for my fmp-x1. 90% of what I read is negative. Can someone talk me into turning down money?
post #348 of 423 Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post

I just bought the 65" xbr. The salesman offered me $200 for my fmp-x1. 90% of what I read is negative. Can someone talk me into turning down money?

Nope. The X1 is soon to be obsoleted by the X10.

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-hd-media-player-zid27-FMPX10/cat-27-catid-All-Internet-Players

jjnbos likes this.
post #349 of 423 Old 05-04-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdaes View Post

they go for considerably more than that on ebay
post #350 of 423 Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Are there any new movies out yet and is there some kind of list of upcoming releases out by now?

From what I can gather release frequency is down to a movie or less per month - is that correct?
post #351 of 423 Old 05-04-2014, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Nope. The X1 is soon to be obsoleted by the X10.

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-hd-media-player-zid27-FMPX10/cat-27-catid-All-Internet-Players

Very cool that it has Netflix built in. Much better for the 4K projector owners(and 2013 4K panel owners) than what was being said about Netflix 4K only being built into 4K panel software. I'm looking forward to ditching one of my X1's for one of these.

post #352 of 423 Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Anyone ever figure out what the SD card slot is for? Mine seems to do...nothing. Videos and photos on SD cards are ignored. No indication in the interface that anything is happening at all when I put an SD card into the slot.

Josh - GamerTag: ShapeGSX PSN: ShapeGSX
'97 Eclipse GSX - 11.825@117.55mph in the 1/4
post #353 of 423 Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post

Anyone ever figure out what the SD card slot is for? Mine seems to do...nothing. Videos and photos on SD cards are ignored. No indication in the interface that anything is happening at all when I put an SD card into the slot.

I thought it was designed potentially for Sony 4K camera footage off SD. I don' t have one so I can't test. Either that or maybe was designed for future use perhaps like that with a software update.

post #354 of 423 Old 06-05-2014, 11:56 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kptaylor1967 View Post

Hello gang. I already have the Sony 4K media player. And I have some really bad news. You are NOT gonna like this.

Short version: I hooked the media player up (correctly) and received the error that the TV could not connect to the media player, along with a variety of error codes. After several hours of this, I returned the first unit and got a fresh one. Same problem exactly.

Enter Sony support. I talked to various people 'up the chain' until I got to a person who actually understood what the issue was. I hope you're sitting down:

Evidently, at the 11th hour, Sony decided to change the HDCP employed in these players. This new version of HDCP is not - I repeat NOT - compatible with virtually *any* 4K television that Sony has sold to date. If you purchased a Sony 4K TV of any size at any time before, I don't know, the last 14 days or so, chances are you're affected.

The solution, per Sony: The entire HDMI board in the TV has to be changed before the media player will work. Of course, Sony will set this up for you. When the part is available. And when the technicians have time. Because, you know, they have to now change the HDMI boards on almost *every* 4K TV they've ever made.

Am I the only person who's more than a little irritated that I just spent close to $7K on a beautiful new TV that effectively now cannot play the *only* 4K content in existence? Truly, truly unbelievable.

Questions? Ask away. But my advice: don't order the media player yet. Get your set's board changed first. Then, you won't have to endure the frustration I've endured today. Grrr......

I am MORE than a little irritated as I bought the 65x900a AND a FDR-AX1 ( 4K videocamera )
and found that I have to go through a convulated LONG process to view MY OWN 4K files on my OWN 4k TV (both Sony)
The 4K files are LARGE ( as an earlier post pointed out a 4K movie is >250 GB ) and i have accumulated over 1 TB in the last few months
Shoot with 64 and 32Gb memory cards
Once Cards are full I down load them to hard drives.
My first SURPRISE came when I uploaded my stored files to the memory card and they WOULD NOT PLAY the 4K files on the 4K TV
It seems that Sony has put some RESTRICTIONS which prevent Sony 4K files being played on Sony 4K TV's.
The 4K file must FIRST be "imported" to Sony Playmemories Software and then "Exported " to the memory card to play the 4K file from your 4k videocam to the 4k TV
I had over 20 guest who wanted to see themselves on the 4K TV on about 15min of clips.
It took nearly an hour to prepare the clips to play on the 4K TV and when it was played most could not tell any difference between 4K and good 1080.
But the ALL AGREED that taking an hour to PREPARE to play 15 min is STUPID - an UNANIMOUS opinion

I agree with them.

Sony are you listening

Let us play Straight from Hard Drive useing USB 3.0 for these LARGE files.
post #355 of 423 Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Planning to return my X1 for X10 or PS4 depending on what Sony announces at E3. Would be cool if Sony adds 3D & 4k support as well as HEVC to PS4.

Vinod
post #356 of 423 Old 06-08-2014, 03:37 AM

Hi! I just got my new xbr65x850a. It comes bundled with the fmp x1 media player. I cant get the media player to work. Is it compatible with xbrx65850a? Thank you.
post #357 of 423 Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

To help you trouble-shoot your issue, we need a little more information besides "I can't get it to work".

- Connections: HDMI cable from HDMI1 on the player to HDMI4 on the display. Wired network connection to the X1.
- On the Sony remote, press SEN. Select the Sony 4K icon.
- The LED's on the X1 should light up, indicating it is powering on.
- You should see a 4K logo on the Sony display, indicating it is talking to the X1.
- And finally, you should be presented with a screen of 4K options.

At which step does it fail, and describe exactly what happens.
post #358 of 423 Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Connecred the media player to hdmi4 input on the tv. Green led light status on the media player was lit indicating a network connection.4k logo appeared on the screen. Did not see a screen with 4k options and the message I attached appeared instead
post #359 of 423 Old 06-08-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

post #360 of 423 Old 06-08-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys, I would really appreciate some advice. Last week I bought a XBR65x850a from HHGregg for an awesome deal and they threw in the x1 media player for free. I haven't opened the box yet for the media player. Based on some comments here I'm not even sure if it is compatible now. If it's not I would have a much better chance selling it on eBay unopened. Also is it even worth using and not selling even though I got it for free? Any suggestions?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page