post #361 of 423 Old 06-09-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alieti View Post

Hey guys, I would really appreciate some advice. Last week I bought a XBR65x850a from HHGregg for an awesome deal and they threw in the x1 media player for free. I haven't opened the box yet for the media player. Based on some comments here I'm not even sure if it is compatible now. If it's not I would have a much better chance selling it on eBay unopened. Also is it even worth using and not selling even though I got it for free? Any suggestions?

It's def compatible I have 4K 55X850A. Weigh up whether you want to spend time using it or sell it and wait only a few weeks for the FMP-X10 to come out next month..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 423 Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys do you know if I can run one of these sony 4k media player through my 3 year old onkyo tx-nr1008 receiver? Or do I need a new receiver with 4k capabilities? Thanks
post #363 of 423 Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
Hey guys do you know if I can run one of these sony 4k media player through my 3 year old onkyo tx-nr1008 receiver? Or do I need a new receiver with 4k capabilities? Thanks
You need 4K pass-through capability. The only way to run it with that receiver is to run the HDMI 1 output to your display and the HDMI 2 audio output to your Onkyo for decoding.

post #364 of 423 Old 06-12-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
You need 4K pass-through capability. The only way to run it with that receiver is to run the HDMI 1 output to your display and the HDMI 2 audio output to your Onkyo for decoding.
Sorry, Oz, not correct. The media player does not involve the AVR in the video portion of the signal at all. The video goes directly from the player to the display, and it is only the audio portion that goes to the AVR. The OP's AVR is perfectly capable of accepting the audio signal, either directly from the player, or also from the TV.
post #365 of 423 Old 06-12-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sorry, Oz, not correct. The media player does not involve the AVR in the video portion of the signal at all. The video goes directly from the player to the display, and it is only the audio portion that goes to the AVR. The OP's AVR is perfectly capable of accepting the audio signal, either directly from the player, or also from the TV.
Jerry you're not reading what I'm saying. The question asked was whether an older non-4K pass-through compatible AVR can pass-through 4K from the FMP-X1. As I stated very clearly the OP would have to connect the HDMI 1 video output to the display and run HDMI 2 audio out to the AVR.

post #366 of 423 Old 06-12-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jerry you're not reading what I'm saying. The question asked was whether an older non-4K pass-through compatible AVR can pass-through 4K from the FMP-X1. As I stated very clearly the OP would have to connect the HDMI 1 video output to the display and run HDMI 2 audio out to the AVR.

Yes, my friend, perhaps I misread your response. The important take-away for the OP is that he will have no problems incorporating the X1 into his current configuration.
post #367 of 423 Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, my friend, perhaps I misread your response. The important take-away for the OP is that he will have no problems incorporating the X1 into his current configuration.
True. That is unless he was dependent on routing his video through the AVR in his particular setup.

post #368 of 423 Old 06-15-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I purchased the X1 last year when the free movie download offer was in effect. Since I wasn't particularly interested in a number of the offerings, I never downloaded them. Now I notice they are no longer appearing as free downloads. I did not realize that they would disappear if I didn't download them. Is that indeed the case?
post #369 of 423 Old 06-15-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I purchased the X1 last year when the free movie download offer was in effect. Since I wasn't particularly interested in a number of the offerings, I never downloaded them. Now I notice they are no longer appearing as free downloads. I did not realize that they would disappear if I didn't download them. Is that indeed the case?
It is indeed the case unless you were one of the Sony VW1000 projector owners who had their upgrade boards delayed but had prepurchased the kit with X1. They were issued with a credit for the online movie store. Everyone else who bought one needed to go and download the titles or risk losing them Dec 31st.

post #370 of 423 Old 06-15-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Guess I am SOL. Strange that there would be an expiration date for customers who had the offer, but it's not the first time that Sony has done something to alienate their customers. Since they were not exciting titles, I don't think I care very much.
post #371 of 423 Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Guess I am SOL. Strange that there would be an expiration date for customers who had the offer, but it's not the first time that Sony has done something to alienate their customers. Since they were not exciting titles, I don't think I care very much.
Yeah I can't say they are anything to lose sleep over either. Most are pretty bad transfers to 4K except Total Recall and Battle LA. Pretty typical Sony home video division tactic.. Hopefully the X10 with Netflix 4K brings a bit more interest with it. I haven't turned on either of my X1's in 2 months..

post #372 of 423 Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Yeah I can't say they are anything to lose sleep over either. Most are pretty bad transfers to 4K except Total Recall and Battle LA. Pretty typical Sony home video division tactic.. Hopefully the X10 with Netflix 4K brings a bit more interest with it. I haven't turned on either of my X1's in 2 months..
I don't check very often (maybe every 2 weeks) but the only new content I've seen in a long time is The Amazing Spider-Man 2... not the movie, the TRAILER!
post #373 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post
If you think Taxi Driver and Bridge on the River Kwai are "bad transfers" you don't know anything about film.

In fact the two films you mention are probably not even real 4K with all the VFX.
Taxi Driver and Bridge look no better in 4K version than their initial Bluray remaster releases, despite their 4K transfer from 35mm (fault of the X1 itself possibly?). The only classic film that's really impressed me in 4K is Lawrence which was obv 65mm to 8K transfer. I'm not going out on a limb regarding the other 2 newer titles, just check the consensus of X1 titles on the VW1000 projector thread. If anyone is well placed to comment on the quality of image from the X1, it's fellow VW1000/1100 owners..I'll also add Elysium to those newer titles that standout from the rest on the X1.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-19-2014 at 12:13 AM.
post #374 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Since last I checked they've added American Hustle, About Last Night, Monuments Men, Masters of Sex, and 5 Free short films.

I've said this before but you are expecting too much from a single movie studio. They only put out so many movies and not all of them are going to be 4K.

They have some more old movies in 4K that they haven't released yet but I suspect everyone would whine about those too.
I think that nobody is disputing that they cannot be expected to release more new 4k movies than they actually produce but it would be nice to have maybe 5 to 10 older catalog titles released each year depending of course also upon the rate these are created. From what I can gather they could easily sustain a release of one movie every two months given the number of movies they already have prepared and the number that the will prepare in the future.

Complaints are extremely unlikely as everybody is free to download a sniplet, the only comment that I have is that by some accounts the sniplets sometimes seem to be too short or not as illustrative of the quality of the movie as one would like, this could be improved upon.

Again, here is a list of some of the older catalog titles available on 4k DCP and not yet available via the 4k unlimited service:

Dr. Strangelove
The Man from Laramie
Two Rode Together
Born Free
Bunny Lake is missing
Drive, he said
The Front
Gidget
The Lady from Shanghai

So bring them on, is not like this is a costly endeavour and it may also serve as an indication of interest in wider releases in other formats and/or territories for some of the lesser known titles.
post #375 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I was reading the fine print regarding the FMP-X10 and Netflix 4K. Sony's site and Netflix's list seem to suggest that the VW1000/1100/600ES projectors may not be able to stream content. Could that really be the case? If so, that seems absolutely insane.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz SR-7009, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Gallo Nucleus Micro (Atmos Height)
post #376 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I was reading the fine print regarding the FMP-X10 and Netflix 4K. Sony's site and Netflix's list seem to suggest that the VW1000/1100/600ES projectors may not be able to stream content. Could that really be the case? If so, that seems absolutely insane.
Doesn't make any sense, they surely cannot stream themselves but they do not need to as the FMP-X10 will do it for them!
post #377 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 127
As an Owner of the Sony 790 BD player (and past Sony items), I'm too aware of the fact that Sony does NOT support their products once you have bought it. On the contrary, they often downgrade the performance/offerings of a product after purchase. Personally, I will never buy a Sony product again.

Last edited by cinema13; 06-19-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #378 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post
Doesn't make any sense, they surely cannot stream themselves but they do not need to as the FMP-X10 will do it for them!
I understand that the projectors can't stream without the box, but the fine print states that there is some kind of secondary activation required and that those projectors are not on the list.
post #379 of 423 Old 06-19-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Anyone purchase the X1 recently able to get Elysium for free? The sony website shows Elysium as a free bonus movie, so should be a free download but it is wanting to charge me $34.99 for it. Just hooked up my X1 last night and created a SEN account.
post #380 of 423 Old 06-21-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I understand that the projectors can't stream without the box, but the fine print states that there is some kind of secondary activation required and that those projectors are not on the list.
I guess that in this case you will have to wait until somebody tries it - shouldn't take too long.
In any case I cannot imagine that Sony would alienate their projector customers like that.
post #381 of 423 Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They could release all of those today and I guarantee you would see nothing but more whining. In fact there is only one title on that list that I personally would even remotely think about paying for.
I guess that both points hold true for about 90% of the movies that are now on the server. If they would only put out movies that many liked AND considered reference quality there would be about 3 to 4 movies on the server and only one of them (LoA) would be a classic title.
post #382 of 423 Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll just say this. Sony does the best transfers in the business bar none. Anyone who thinks any movie on this service looks bad doesn't know anything about cinema and has wasted their money and should have stuck with 1080p.
I also would consider Sony to be the leading studio at the moment for catalog although Warner is looking pretty good, too. With all the strange color timing on so many newly released catalog titles and oother issues these have become my two studios where I am reasonably sure that I will like what they are releasing.
post #383 of 423 Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll just say this. Sony does the best transfers in the business bar none. Anyone who thinks any movie on this service looks bad doesn't know anything about cinema and has wasted their money and should have stuck with 1080p.

Mate, seriously. Go and have this PQ discussion on the VW1000 owners thread, every owner will disagree. This is not an issue of the frigging transfers themselves but the quality out of the X1 to display. I'm guessing you have a 4K display, not a serous projector sized image or you'd be clued into what I'm referring to about the dramatic quality differences with films on the X1.

Quote:
The FMP-X10 no longer says pre-order on the Sony store. Who is going to be the first guinea pig?

As a current X1 owner I don't know if I want to spend another $500 just to be able to watch two shows on Netflix. But I'd love to hear reports on the quality. Especially comparing Breaking Bad on both services.

Has Sony said anything about whether it supports Playstation Now too?
I jumped in for a preorder last month for the X10. It's not due till next month though. It's not just the extra service of Netflix on the X10, you do realise it's revised hardware with new codecs right? I'm hoping that possible it might be a step in the right direction with the output from the extremely underwhelming quality of the 4K out the X1 Spending $500 for another 4K source for a $20K projector doesn't particularly perturb me, however if I were strictly a panel owner it may have been a less likely purchase so soon.
turls likes this.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-22-2014 at 07:39 PM.
post #384 of 423 Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 172
As a VW1100 owner, I'm in agreement with Oz.

Perhaps the simplest way to describe Sony's first 4k offering is that, in comparison with the same high quality blu ray titles, the download service quality is occasionally marginally better, often no better, and in several cases worse.

Whether this is due to poor original transfers (which I doubt), or (much more likely) the current compression required to achieve a zippy multi-hour download, who knows. Perhaps h.265 will help.

Now, I just purchased the Sony 4k FDR-AX-100 camcorder. While not perfect, the resolution this provides, while still compressed, is much much better than anything I've seen on the FMP.
OzHDHT likes this.
post #385 of 423 Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not really projector vs. panel if you compare the Blu Ray to the 4k download of the same title. The negatives and benefits to either display device will affect both equally, so you are more or less left with the source (and player I suppose) quality
post #386 of 423 Old 06-22-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So sorry I'm not a member of your elite projector club.

The rest of us peasants will bow down to your obvious superior knowledge and ignore our own experiences from now on.
How did I know a dude like you would come back with a response like that because people like myself and others such as thrang own 4K projectors that they use with their X1's.. That's the kind of 'tall poppy' attitude that keeps me away from local small minded forums most of the time. It's not something that AVS'ers should expect to have to cop when they are making valid observations.

I suppose you probably consider 500/600ES projector owners elitists as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
It's not really projector vs. panel if you compare the Blu Ray to the 4k download of the same title. The negatives and benefits to either display device will affect both equally, so you are more or less left with the source (and player I suppose) quality
I think the only other point to add to this is that quite possibly many of us projector guys are seeing a 4K image at a much more optimal viewing distance by the nature of viewing method. That certainly exposes the detail in the viewing material much more a lot of the time. Given I also own an 55XBR850A, I can say right now I have to practically sit just a few feet from the screen to really examine 4K video properly. At my normal viewing distance, the benefits of viewing a 4K source taper off dramatically.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-22-2014 at 09:46 PM.
post #387 of 423 Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you have links?
post #388 of 423 Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Actually I'd consider them part of the "fools parted with their money" club since they can't seem to get their equipment to do what it was designed for and for some reason still keep it.
No, no, the 600 is a good projector. It upscales 1080 to 2160 to produce the best picture I've ever seen from Blu-ray or even cable TV.

The foolish money was spent on the FMP-X1. What a useless POS. Yes, I spent money on it in a fit of optimistic exuberance. "For some reason still keep it?" How to get rid of an X1? You think anybody wants it at this point for any price?
OzHDHT likes this.
post #389 of 423 Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
No, no, the 600 is a good projector. It upscales 1080 to 2160 to produce the best picture I've ever seen from Blu-ray or even cable TV.

The foolish money was spent on the FMP-X1. What a useless POS. Yes, I spent money on it in a fit of optimistic exuberance. "For some reason still keep it?" How to get rid of an X1? You think anybody wants it at this point for any price?
People may want your movies, but those are in your Sony account, not in your X1
post #390 of 423 Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
Anyone purchase the X1 recently able to get Elysium for free? The sony website shows Elysium as a free bonus movie, so should be a free download but it is wanting to charge me $34.99 for it. Just hooked up my X1 last night and created a SEN account.
Well even though the store.sony.com website still shows as Elysium as a free bonus movie included with the FMP-X1, customer service says it is no longer available. For me, the X1 was a novelty that quickly wore off and Sony doesn't seem to want to stand behind it. Glad I'm within return window as this thing is going back.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page