Sony 4K Media Streamer FMP-X1 $699 Coming Summer 2013- - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 395 Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Is there any way to sort the selections on the X1's "My 4K" menu?

A while back it changed so all features and featurettes are jumbled together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 395 Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Morning,

I recently picked up the Onkyo 838 and so far have thoroughly enjoyed using it. I am replacing my Pioneer SC-27 which I love, but due to it's HDMI limitations have decided to move forward with the 838. I was initially concerned (as this is my first Onkyo) with the reported heat and HDMI issues, but the 838 actually runs cooler than the SC-27 it's replacing which has me pleasantly surprised, so no issues there.

So my question,
I am running all of my devices through the 838 and then out to my Sony 65X900A 4K display HDMI 4 input (which is the 4K supported input) via the HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant Onkyo video out HDMI port. One of the main reason's I decided to go with the Onkyo line is the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 capabilities, however I have been unable to get my Sony X-1 4K media player to function correctly with the 838 which is connected to HDMI 3 (2.0/2.2 compliant input)... I can access all of the Sony 4K content I've purchased (so I'm assuming it's not an HDCP issue), but when I try to play any content I get no audio or video, but I do have access to player controls as if the content is playing i.e pause-play-fwd-rew..just no video or audio. Is this because the AVR is dropping the H.265 decoding process in the HDMI chain from the media player to HDMI 4 (which you have to use on the Sony for 4K content) or something simple that I'm overlooking, like they just aren't compatible ?? Appreciate any advice and or thought's on this complicated subject as I know it's still in it's infancy...
post #393 of 395 Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I have asked this before, and I don't believe you have answered yet. I know you are frustrated that you cannot get the video to play properly when the signal is routed through the Onkyo. But, as you know, troubleshooting any issue involves a process of elimination.

To rule out the possibility that you may have a defective player, have you hooked up the player in the conventional manner, i.e. directly to the display, just to make sure it works properly that way? Assuming that is does work properly, can you enlighten those who may not have been following your progress as to why it is so important to route the video signal through the Onkyo? Other than perhaps requiring one less HDMI cable (which might be a significant issue for you), are there other reasons?

Edit: The answer to your question may be as simple as the fact that Sony may have designed their player so that if it detects HDMI EDID information suggesting that another component is in the signal path, that video will not be passed. We know Sony has been extremely protective of 4K content and the player. It won't work on any other brand of display, so it wouldn't surprise me if they designed other protection algorithms to prevent non-Sony AVR's from being used. The only way you can find out if this is the case is to ask Sony directly.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 07-13-2014 at 12:19 PM.
post #394 of 395 Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have asked this before, and I don't believe you have answered yet. I know you are frustrated that you cannot get the video to play properly when the signal is routed through the Onkyo. But, as you know, troubleshooting any issue involves a process of elimination.

To rule out the possibility that you may have a defective player, have you hooked up the player in the conventional manner, i.e. directly to the display, just to make sure it works properly that way? Assuming that is does work properly, can you enlighten those who may not have been following your progress as to why it is so important to route the video signal through the Onkyo? Other than perhaps requiring one less HDMI cable (which might be a significant issue for you), are there other reasons?

Just because (In my opinion) I should be able to....As you've stated it's not necessary, but if it's possible (or not) I'd like to find out. It's either an HDMI "Handshake" issue, where the player "HAS TO BE" connected directly to the TV..or I'm dropping the H.265. I'm guessing it's option 1, but I'll give Sony a call and find out for sure.

Yes as well to your first point. The X-1 will not connect directly to the TV, I keep getting a "Failed to connect to media player" error and subsequent error codes. But!! and this is where it starts getting weird, if I run it through the AVR I don't have that issue, if I go the the 4K app it launches, loads and everything seems to be working fine, but no audio or video (just a black screen) when I hit play. I do have access to all the video options i.e. pause-fwd-rew, it's playing, I just can't see or hear it.. This has all been reported to Sony and a replacement is on the way, just not sure if it's the X-1 or X-10...But as stated in the other thread, I'm assuming it's the X-10 considering the circumstances and when I should of had the replacement here (a long time ago) if it was another X-1.....Time will tell I guess..

Just really miss the occasional dose of 4K eye candy...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-13-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #395 of 395 Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I recall you saying that the X1 gave you errors when connecting directly, and that a replacement was on the way. I had assumed that the replacement had arrived, and the current testing was using the new one.

So, maybe the issue is simply that you have a flawed player, and that everything will work fine when you get the new one?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page