Sony 4K Media Streamer FMP-X1 $699 Coming Summer 2013- - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 416 Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Is there any way to sort the selections on the X1's "My 4K" menu?

A while back it changed so all features and featurettes are jumbled together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 416 Old 07-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Morning,

I recently picked up the Onkyo 838 and so far have thoroughly enjoyed using it. I am replacing my Pioneer SC-27 which I love, but due to it's HDMI limitations have decided to move forward with the 838. I was initially concerned (as this is my first Onkyo) with the reported heat and HDMI issues, but the 838 actually runs cooler than the SC-27 it's replacing which has me pleasantly surprised, so no issues there.

So my question,
I am running all of my devices through the 838 and then out to my Sony 65X900A 4K display HDMI 4 input (which is the 4K supported input) via the HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant Onkyo video out HDMI port. One of the main reason's I decided to go with the Onkyo line is the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 capabilities, however I have been unable to get my Sony X-1 4K media player to function correctly with the 838 which is connected to HDMI 3 (2.0/2.2 compliant input)... I can access all of the Sony 4K content I've purchased (so I'm assuming it's not an HDCP issue), but when I try to play any content I get no audio or video, but I do have access to player controls as if the content is playing i.e pause-play-fwd-rew..just no video or audio. Is this because the AVR is dropping the H.265 decoding process in the HDMI chain from the media player to HDMI 4 (which you have to use on the Sony for 4K content) or something simple that I'm overlooking, like they just aren't compatible ?? Appreciate any advice and or thought's on this complicated subject as I know it's still in it's infancy...
post #393 of 416 Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I have asked this before, and I don't believe you have answered yet. I know you are frustrated that you cannot get the video to play properly when the signal is routed through the Onkyo. But, as you know, troubleshooting any issue involves a process of elimination.

To rule out the possibility that you may have a defective player, have you hooked up the player in the conventional manner, i.e. directly to the display, just to make sure it works properly that way? Assuming that is does work properly, can you enlighten those who may not have been following your progress as to why it is so important to route the video signal through the Onkyo? Other than perhaps requiring one less HDMI cable (which might be a significant issue for you), are there other reasons?

Edit: The answer to your question may be as simple as the fact that Sony may have designed their player so that if it detects HDMI EDID information suggesting that another component is in the signal path, that video will not be passed. We know Sony has been extremely protective of 4K content and the player. It won't work on any other brand of display, so it wouldn't surprise me if they designed other protection algorithms to prevent non-Sony AVR's from being used. The only way you can find out if this is the case is to ask Sony directly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 07-13-2014 at 12:19 PM.
post #394 of 416 Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have asked this before, and I don't believe you have answered yet. I know you are frustrated that you cannot get the video to play properly when the signal is routed through the Onkyo. But, as you know, troubleshooting any issue involves a process of elimination.

To rule out the possibility that you may have a defective player, have you hooked up the player in the conventional manner, i.e. directly to the display, just to make sure it works properly that way? Assuming that is does work properly, can you enlighten those who may not have been following your progress as to why it is so important to route the video signal through the Onkyo? Other than perhaps requiring one less HDMI cable (which might be a significant issue for you), are there other reasons?

Just because (In my opinion) I should be able to....As you've stated it's not necessary, but if it's possible (or not) I'd like to find out. It's either an HDMI "Handshake" issue, where the player "HAS TO BE" connected directly to the TV..or I'm dropping the H.265. I'm guessing it's option 1, but I'll give Sony a call and find out for sure.

Yes as well to your first point. The X-1 will not connect directly to the TV, I keep getting a "Failed to connect to media player" error and subsequent error codes. But!! and this is where it starts getting weird, if I run it through the AVR I don't have that issue, if I go the the 4K app it launches, loads and everything seems to be working fine, but no audio or video (just a black screen) when I hit play. I do have access to all the video options i.e. pause-fwd-rew, it's playing, I just can't see or hear it.. This has all been reported to Sony and a replacement is on the way, just not sure if it's the X-1 or X-10...But as stated in the other thread, I'm assuming it's the X-10 considering the circumstances and when I should of had the replacement here (a long time ago) if it was another X-1.....Time will tell I guess..

Just really miss the occasional dose of 4K eye candy...

Last edited by TweakerInWA; 07-13-2014 at 12:49 PM.
post #395 of 416 Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I recall you saying that the X1 gave you errors when connecting directly, and that a replacement was on the way. I had assumed that the replacement had arrived, and the current testing was using the new one.

So, maybe the issue is simply that you have a flawed player, and that everything will work fine when you get the new one?

post #396 of 416 Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

My X1 is having a new problem. Now, when I try and watch one of the 4K demo clips, the player will play it for 2-3 minutes and then crash and reboot. It happens consistently with every 4K clip. Anyone else seen this? I'll report to Sony to see what they have to say. Maybe they will send me an X10 as a replacement...

post #397 of 416 Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Maybe they will send me an X10 as a replacement...
With your history of audio two out complaints, I don't see why you wouldn't insist they replace it with a model that works correctly.

I showed them I opened a concern on July 18th, 2013, and stayed on top of it for a couple of months, then sort of gave up. I was hoping they'd find the problem and update the player. That didn't happen, personally I think they're flummoxed with the X1 audio two out problem.

I contacted them about a month ago and told them the only solution I find reasonable, is for them to swap it out for an X10.
post #398 of 416 Old 08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I talked to Sony, and they are sending a replacement X1. I was concerned that if I insisted on an X10 as a replacement, they might back out of the replacement offer.

post #399 of 416 Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Do you guys know whether there's any way to get notified when there's new 4K content available for the X1?

Currently, the only way I know to peruse the content is to look on the tablet app. I rarely do that because there hasn't been anything there which interested me in so long. I was wondering whether there was an email list or push notification regarding new content.
post #400 of 416 Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Do you guys know whether there's any way to get notified when there's new 4K content available for the X1?

Currently, the only way I know to peruse the content is to look on the tablet app. I rarely do that because there hasn't been anything there which interested me in so long. I was wondering whether there was an email list or push notification regarding new content.
I get announcements like the one shown below. I poked around, and I don't see any of the titles specifically identified as 4K releases.

post #401 of 416 Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I bought The Amazing Spiderman 2 on the X10 and much to my sadness, it did not come with UV code. When I bought the X1, all 10 movies had UV codes and the few movies I bought later also did. So did Sony change their UV policy? I can't imagine it has anything to do with the X10.

Abstract yourself!
post #402 of 416 Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
4K quality on the X1

I've owned the X1 since spring and have not watched a lot of movies , very little in fact because the unit has been a Pain in the A$$ to set up and use.

Watched Monuments of Men last knight and cannot see any difference from 1080P. Very disappointing to pay $34.99 for a 4K movie and not notice any appreciable difference.
When I run one of the 4K sample clips such as Rio Brazil I can see some great quality 4K footage but to me most of the 4K movies I have purchased thus far are no better than
the upscaled 1080P .

My SonyVPL500ES is incredible, certainly worth the money I invested . The 4K X1 server however, is a waste because of the cost , complexity and certainly lack of picture quality
for the investment. I'd like to think I have not tweaked the setup fully and I'm not displaying the true quality of the 4K content. Maybe others can add their experience and comments.
post #403 of 416 Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
My SonyVPL500ES is incredible, certainly worth the money I invested . The 4K X1 server however, is a waste because of the cost , complexity and certainly lack of picture quality
for the investment. I'd like to think I have not tweaked the setup fully and I'm not displaying the true quality of the 4K content. Maybe others can add their experience and comments.
There isn't much to set up on the X1 that is going to affect picture quality. It is sort of a straight shot video player.

Something like "Eldorado," one of the samples, shows what the potential of 4K could be, but most of the feature films fall short of that kind of quality.

Spiderman shows exceptional detail but nothing that is head-and-shoulders above a good Blu-ray version.

I recently got the X10 and there is no difference in output of image, it's the same that I got out of my X1.

The 4K Netflix, and a faster general operating system are a few of the advantages.
post #404 of 416 Old 08-08-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post
There isn't much to set up on the X1 that is going to affect picture quality. It is sort of a straight shot video player.

Something like "Eldorado," one of the samples, shows what the potential of 4K could be, but most of the feature films fall short of that kind of quality.

Spiderman shows exceptional detail but nothing that is head-and-shoulders above a good Blu-ray version.

I recently got the X10 and there is no difference in output of image, it's the same that I got out of my X1.

The 4K Netflix, and a faster general operating system are a few of the advantages.
4K Netflix? How do you access that? What do you mean by faster operating system ? Oh, wait a second, you mean this is what you get with the X10 over the X1.
post #405 of 416 Old 08-08-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
4K Netflix? How do you access that? What do you mean by faster operating system ? Oh, wait a second, you mean this is what you get with the X10 over the X1.
Yes regarding Netflix 4K, still a very limited selection of titles but more expected soon.

The X10 moves around the menu a lot faster than the X1. As for download time and speed, well that's another story.
post #406 of 416 Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just noticed that the last 3 digits of the software version show 8-05 instead of 6-14 that I saw few days ago. Wondering if there was a software update & if so what was improved? Wish Sony would enable 4k USB video playback on X1. My download speed shows average of 30Mbps with Verizon FiOS.

Vinod
post #407 of 416 Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Not to sound rude (so please don't take it that way) there's so little 4K content available I'm not sure they really want to advertise what's due out and when. Reason being they don't want to discourage potential future X10 buyers. Pretty sure the only 4K movie to hit the site in the last 3-4 months is the new Spiderman. I could be wrong, but if I am it must not have been decent enough to catch my eye....

Sent from my SM-N900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
post #408 of 416 Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm returning my 65X950B so I need to sell my FMP-X1. I have purchased several movies, I was wondering if the movies follow the player or if I need to perform a reset of some sort. They are picking the TV up tomorrow, I probably should have asked these questions earlier. I guess my real question is

1. How do I erase my account info off of the FMP-X1?

2. Do the movies purchased follow the player or the account?

Thanks,

Y2J
post #409 of 416 Old 08-18-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
I'm returning my 65X950B so I need to sell my FMP-X1. I have purchased several movies, I was wondering if the movies follow the player or if I need to perform a reset of some sort. They are picking the TV up tomorrow, I probably should have asked these questions earlier. I guess my real question is

1. How do I erase my account info off of the FMP-X1?

2. Do the movies purchased follow the player or the account?

Thanks,

Y2J
There should be a logout function in the system settings at the top of the screen. I'm not in front of one right now, but I've definitely logged in and out of diff account quite easily on the X1.

Yes they do. I just bought an X10(so much easier to use with projs) and it recognises all the purchases on my account and unlocks them as I select the titles.

post #410 of 416 Old 08-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakerInWA View Post
Morning,

I recently picked up the Onkyo 838 and so far have thoroughly enjoyed using it. I am replacing my Pioneer SC-27 which I love, but due to it's HDMI limitations have decided to move forward with the 838. I was initially concerned (as this is my first Onkyo) with the reported heat and HDMI issues, but the 838 actually runs cooler than the SC-27 it's replacing which has me pleasantly surprised, so no issues there.

So my question,
I am running all of my devices through the 838 and then out to my Sony 65X900A 4K display HDMI 4 input (which is the 4K supported input) via the HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 compliant Onkyo video out HDMI port. One of the main reason's I decided to go with the Onkyo line is the HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 capabilities, however I have been unable to get my Sony X-1 4K media player to function correctly with the 838 which is connected to HDMI 3 (2.0/2.2 compliant input)... I can access all of the Sony 4K content I've purchased (so I'm assuming it's not an HDCP issue), but when I try to play any content I get no audio or video, but I do have access to player controls as if the content is playing i.e pause-play-fwd-rew..just no video or audio. Is this because the AVR is dropping the H.265 decoding process in the HDMI chain from the media player to HDMI 4 (which you have to use on the Sony for 4K content) or something simple that I'm overlooking, like they just aren't compatible ?? Appreciate any advice and or thought's on this complicated subject as I know it's still in it's infancy...
I don't understand what everyone doesn't understand that you must connect the HDMI 1 port of the FMP-X1 directly to the TV and then run HDMI 2 out to your AVR. It doesn't say you can run HDMI 1 through your AVR and it will work anywhere.
post #411 of 416 Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't understand what everyone doesn't understand that you must connect the HDMI 1 port of the FMP-X1 directly to the TV and then run HDMI 2 out to your AVR. It doesn't say you can run HDMI 1 through your AVR and it will work anywhere.
The reason it needs to be connected to HDMI 4 (specifically) on the display is due to the fact HDMI 4 is the only HDCP 2.2 input on the display. So in theory, why wouldn't you be able to run it through an HDCP 2.2 compliant AVR, then to the HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input on the display?

post #412 of 416 Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The reason it needs to be connected to HDMI 4 (specifically) on the display is due to the fact HDMI 4 is the only HDCP 2.2 input on the display. So in theory, why wouldn't you be able to run it through an HDCP 2.2 compliant AVR, then to the HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input on the display?

The connection from the FMP-X1 and the X900A/X900B is not "officially" a HDMI HDCP 2.2 connection. That is why you cannot use the FMP-X1 with other HDMI HDCP 2.2 display devices.
post #413 of 416 Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The connection from the FMP-X1 and the X900A/X900B is not "officially" a HDMI HDCP 2.2 connection. That is why you cannot use the FMP-X1 with other HDMI HDCP 2.2 display devices.

Here's the thing, there's absolutely no reason for it not to work. This does not compromise Sony's copyright protection or ToS, this is how we connect or integrate devices into today's HT environment. It's ridiculous to think you'd have to do it any other way as we currently produce and design electronics to function in this manner. The only reason the X1 and X10 are currently plagued by functionality issue's is specifically related to HDCP or DRM. I don't think there's really any other explanation. If so, I'm all ears...
post #414 of 416 Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Here's the thing, there's absolutely no reason for it not to work. This does not compromise Sony's copyright protection or ToS, this is how we connect or integrate devices into today's HT environment. It's ridiculous to think you'd have to do it any other way as we currently produce and design electronics to function in this manner. The only reason the X1 and X10 are currently plagued by functionality issue's is specifically related to HDCP or DRM. I don't think there's really any other explanation. If so, I'm all ears...
I totally agree with you, but they do state everywhere that they have to be directly connected in order to work properly, so you can't complain too much. You don't need the 4K input for any of the devices coming out of the AVR, and you shouldn't be doing any 4K scaling in the AVR anyways, as the X900A/B's internal scaler is better. I would connect the X1 directly to HDMI 4 and put the AVR into HDMI 1 and then run the HDMI 2 outpout on the X1 into your AVR. Worked for me that way.

Y2J
post #415 of 416 Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Tweaker that in theory it should work. But we have been struggling with all sorts of things that should work, but don't, including audio between the player and the AVR. So, rather than fight it, I don't understand why people don't bite the bullet and simply connect the player directly to HDMI4 on the display. If it requires running another cable to the display/projector, I can understand why that might be a PITA, but if it results in stable video, isn't it worth it?

post #416 of 416 Old 09-21-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
X1 had a software update when I turned it on today. Not sure what it updated.

Vinod
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page