Sony 4K Media Streamer FMP-X1 $699 Coming Summer 2013- - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #421 of 445 Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 325
^ cool I hadnt seem that thread and its pretty big I noticed. Unsubscribing and going to that one as we speak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 445 Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Came across some eye candy the other day on my X1. Look for a free download called "Air Racers" or something like that. It's a 40-minute short about, you guessed it, airplane racing. Some of the 4K content is outstanding.
post #423 of 445 Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I'm trying to factory reset my X1 so I can put it on eBay. I deleted all the movies from it manually and the selected "Reset All Settings" from the Settings menu. However, when I turn it on and pass the initial EULA, I get a login screen that still shows my user email address. There seems to be no way of making it forget it!

Any suggestions on how to accomplish a full reset on this unit?

Thanks!

Abstract yourself!
post #424 of 445 Old 01-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Bump...poor thread...poor X1...still have one sitting in a box upstairs...

Sent from my Nexus 6
post #425 of 445 Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 73
And I still don't know how to get rid of mine without revealing my login information.

Abstract yourself!
post #426 of 445 Old 05-08-2015, 11:29 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 297
OK - I'm going to ask one of the strangest questions I've asked yet. Has anyone taken theirs apart yet? What is the format of the movies it downloads - MKV? The reason I ask is, I will never pay for another movie to download on it. The audio quality sucks. I'm wondering if I could take the movies from that drive, put them on my PC and stream them through my Oppo in the event their are dts-ma or other audio tracks in the movie that the FMPX1 simply can't play back.
post #427 of 445 Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 5461 Post(s)
Liked: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
OK - I'm going to ask one of the strangest questions I've asked yet. Has anyone taken theirs apart yet? What is the format of the movies it downloads - MKV? The reason I ask is, I will never pay for another movie to download on it. The audio quality sucks. I'm wondering if I could take the movies from that drive, put them on my PC and stream them through my Oppo in the event their are dts-ma or other audio tracks in the movie that the FMPX1 simply can't play back.
What does taking it apart have to do with the format of the movies stored on the hard drive?
post #428 of 445 Old 05-08-2015, 02:56 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What does taking it apart have to do with the format of the movies stored on the hard drive?
Taking the drive out and finding out the file format. Is there another way you can get the files off the drive?
post #429 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Taking the drive out and finding out the file format. Is there another way you can get the files off the drive?
The video format us exclusive to Sony.
Unplayable except on their player. Nothing wrong with the audio if set up correctly. Plays 5.1 48khz lossless bitstream.
post #430 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
The video format us exclusive to Sony.
Unplayable except on their player. Nothing wrong with the audio if set up correctly. Plays 5.1 48khz lossless bitstream.
Thanks - I have the same movies on BD and the DTS-MA for whatever reason sounds significantly better. It's a shame I can't convert them to something so I can get rid of the FMP.
post #431 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks - I have the same movies on BD and the DTS-MA for whatever reason sounds significantly better. It's a shame I can't convert them to something so I can get rid of the FMP.
The point we are making is that it shouldn't sound any different. The files from my FMP-x10 sound perfect. Perhaps you should be looking for another explanation as to why the audio doesn't sound the same.
post #432 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

I get lossless should sound the same but you'll often notice a DTS track of the "same" quality sounds cleaner than a dolby track whether they are old school or the new lossless DTS and Dolby standards.

I can convert a movie from LPCM to flac lossless and it doesn't sound as good. I have an FMP-x1 - perhaps your x10 is better for audio.
post #433 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I get lossless should sound the same but you'll often notice a DTS track of the "same" quality sounds cleaner than a dolby track whether they are old school or the new lossless DTS and Dolby standards.

I can convert a movie from LPCM to flac lossless and it doesn't sound as good. I have an FMP-x1 - perhaps your x10 is better for audio.
I had the X1 before it was replaced with the X10, so I am familiar with your hardware. What I am saying is that if the movie is playing from the X1 with a lossless audio format, say DTS HD MSTR, then it should sound the same as a movie playing from another device, also in DTS HD MSTR. Of course, if it is only Dolby Digital from the X1, then it will sound different.

Regardless, the X1 was a real POS in my opinion, and the sooner you get rid of that boat anchor, the better off you will be.
post #434 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 09:32 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I guess I'll see if I can sell it as I've got $300 credit for downloads and a barely used FMP. Unfortunately that is a pretty niche market for resale.
post #435 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Interesting. I guess I'll see if I can sell it as I've got $300 credit for downloads and a barely used FMP. Unfortunately that is a pretty niche market for resale.
Problem is the the X10 replacement can stream 4K from Netflix, which makes it more marketable.
post #436 of 445 Old 05-09-2015, 10:35 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

I suppose. I won't bother with the x10 either. Sony's 4k media players aren't what I'm looking for. I got it to test 4K on my TV. The experiment is over. I've got the original box and $300 worth of credits for any movies or 4K TV shows. I should be able to get something on ebay.

Last edited by boe; 05-09-2015 at 10:39 PM.
post #437 of 445 Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Sony Media Players?

Hi everyone I'm Ted! I saw this thread today and started reading every post until I realized I was looking at stuff from 2013! Here is what I originally came on here for. I just bought a Sony 4K TV model : XBR70X850B. Its a 70" and I got it from HH Gregg for $1400 as the floor model. I do know that you're supposed to get some $699 media player for it. The FMP-X1 is the 2013 model and was round, had more options and had 2TB of data. The FMP-X10 is box shaped with a lot of the options stripped and it only has 1 TB of storage. They both are still selling for $699 but they can be bought reconditioned on eBay for $116 for the older 2TB X1 or the 1TB X10 is selling for $235+.

I called Sony and they said my TV will work with them both. But some internet sites suggest mine might only work with the one that is the X10 model. And some tell me that neither will work. I guess Sony had a ton of issues with these and had to replace HDMI boards in tons of machines. I also read an article that says both Samsung and Sony talking about putting in new HDMI boards in all customers' tv sets to make them support HDMI 2.0 Do I need this done or is it new enough that it is already HDMI 2.0? I would just like to use some real 4K material even if I have to buy a stupid media player, I just want to buy the right one. I haven't even opened up the TV yet or set it up. I'm just thinking about all the things I need to buy for it, like the $260 Sony 4K upscaling Blu-Ray Player. I just hope that someone on here knows the outcomes. Will I still need a new HDMI board to get 2.0? Will my TV work with any of those media players now or is there still a problem there?

Appreciate all the help in advance!!
post #438 of 445 Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Hi everyone I'm Ted! I saw this thread today and started reading every post until I realized I was looking at stuff from 2013! Here is what I originally came on here for. I just bought a Sony 4K TV model : XBR70X850B. Its a 70" and I got it from HH Gregg for $1400 as the floor model. I do know that you're supposed to get some $699 media player for it. The FMP-X1 is the 2013 model and was round, had more options and had 2TB of data. The FMP-X10 is box shaped with a lot of the options stripped and it only has 1 TB of storage. They both are still selling for $699 but they can be bought reconditioned on eBay for $116 for the older 2TB X1 or the 1TB X10 is selling for $235+.

I called Sony and they said my TV will work with them both. But some internet sites suggest mine might only work with the one that is the X10 model. And some tell me that neither will work. I guess Sony had a ton of issues with these and had to replace HDMI boards in tons of machines. I also read an article that says both Samsung and Sony talking about putting in new HDMI boards in all customers' tv sets to make them support HDMI 2.0 Do I need this done or is it new enough that it is already HDMI 2.0? I would just like to use some real 4K material even if I have to buy a stupid media player, I just want to buy the right one. I haven't even opened up the TV yet or set it up. I'm just thinking about all the things I need to buy for it, like the $260 Sony 4K upscaling Blu-Ray Player. I just hope that someone on here knows the outcomes. Will I still need a new HDMI board to get 2.0? Will my TV work with any of those media players now or is there still a problem there?

Appreciate all the help in advance!!
I am unfamiliar with that Sony model, and I cannot find confirmation that it has an HDCP 2.2-compliant port, although being a 4K TV, I can't imagine that it doesn't.

If you buy a player, get the X10--it has 4K Netflix streaming. As far as spending your money on a Blu-Ray with 4K up-scaling, why bother. A Sony 4K TV has the Bravia 4K up scaling engine, one of the best. If you already have a Blu-Ray player, you don't need a new one. Simply output in 1080p and let the Sony TV do the up scaling. Besides, you will want to wait for the true 4K players arriving at the end of the year.
post #439 of 445 Old 08-10-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I am unfamiliar with that Sony model, and I cannot find confirmation that it has an HDCP 2.2-compliant port, although being a 4K TV, I can't imagine that it doesn't.

If you buy a player, get the X10--it has 4K Netflix streaming. As far as spending your money on a Blu-Ray with 4K up-scaling, why bother. A Sony 4K TV has the Bravia 4K up scaling engine, one of the best. If you already have a Blu-Ray player, you don't need a new one. Simply output in 1080p and let the Sony TV do the up scaling. Besides, you will want to wait for the true 4K players arriving at the end of the year.
Excellent advice!! Thank you!!
post #440 of 445 Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Excellent advice!! Thank you!!
AustinJerry,

I bought a reconditioned one today. I'm not happy that the newer units are only 1TB when the original X1 had 2TB for the same price, but I do have a 4TB external USB 3.0 hard drive that I meant to use to backup my computer but I don't need anything near that size. I do have a really stupid question for you. One lister has a picture with a "flap" down. Is that just for access to a USB port? One person swore this unit is also a Blu-Ray Player. Me, I don't know anything about this. I haven't even unboxed my TV yet! I got a new receiver as well and now with the bigger TV, I had to get a different style type of A/V furniture to hold my components and get rid of the other half of them that I don't need. Here is a link to exactly what I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/301676838827...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm probably going to need your help so I appriciate steering me away from the X1. Because yes I want to stream from Netflix. I thought I could do that through an app on my 4K TV on it's own. I think it's misleading that they tell you that you can get 4K movies and only AFTER you buy the TV do they tell you that need a $699 add on just to watch 4K stuff. If the 4K TV can't do it, they should be giving the boxes away for free. And I hear that a lot of the time, Best Buy does give the media box away for free.

I bought a 70" new model and wasn't offered one, but I bought the last one they had at HH Gregg and I got it for $1500. So, paying $205 for the media player isn't terrible I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x10.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	881082  
post #441 of 445 Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
AustinJerry,

I bought a reconditioned one today. I'm not happy that the newer units are only 1TB when the original X1 had 2TB for the same price, but I do have a 4TB external USB 3.0 hard drive that I meant to use to backup my computer but I don't need anything near that size. I do have a really stupid question for you. One lister has a picture with a "flap" down. Is that just for access to a USB port? One person swore this unit is also a Blu-Ray Player. Me, I don't know anything about this. I haven't even unboxed my TV yet! I got a new receiver as well and now with the bigger TV, I had to get a different style type of A/V furniture to hold my components and get rid of the other half of them that I don't need. Here is a link to exactly what I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/301676838827...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm probably going to need your help so I appriciate steering me away from the X1. Because yes I want to stream from Netflix. I thought I could do that through an app on my 4K TV on it's own. I think it's misleading that they tell you that you can get 4K movies and only AFTER you buy the TV do they tell you that need a $699 add on just to watch 4K stuff. If the 4K TV can't do it, they should be giving the boxes away for free. And I hear that a lot of the time, Best Buy does give the media box away for free.

I bought a 70" new model and wasn't offered one, but I bought the last one they had at HH Gregg and I got it for $1500. So, paying $205 for the media player isn't terrible I guess.
Now that you have an X10, you should continue your discussions in the X10 thread. Behind the drop-down front door are three things only: an On/Off button, a reset button, and the front panel USB port (how to use it is described in the manual). It obviously is not a Blu-ray player. I would not be concerned about the smaller internal drive. If you need more capacity, plug in an external drive.
thestewman and tedhontz like this.
post #442 of 445 Old 08-11-2015, 11:58 AM

AustinJerry,

Thank you once again. I didn't even know there was an X10 thread! I will look for it and join up in there! I know it only has 1TB but since I have a 4TB drive sitting around here collecting dust, now I have a purpose for the drive. I know this unit is reconditioned but it has been done by Sony and I have had good luck with Sony reconditioned items in the past. I am crossing my fingers that everything is okay, but it sure beats spending $699+TAX. Well thanks again, see you on the other thread!

Ted
post #443 of 445 Old 08-11-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
AustinJerry,

Thank you once again. I didn't even know there was an X10 thread! I will look for it and join up in there! I know it only has 1TB but since I have a 4TB drive sitting around here collecting dust, now I have a purpose for the drive. I know this unit is reconditioned but it has been done by Sony and I have had good luck with Sony reconditioned items in the past. I am crossing my fingers that everything is okay, but it sure beats spending $699+TAX. Well thanks again, see you on the other thread!

Ted
Sony FMP-X10 owners thread
post #444 of 445 Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

My X1 has been shutting down every day for a few weeks. I turn it on, it stays on while I'm looking at it, then the next day it's off again.

What's it trying to tell me?
post #445 of 445 Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Finally, some new content! The Fifth Element in 4K!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page