Sony 4K Media Streamer FMP-X1 $699 Coming Summer 2013- - Page 15 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #421 of 436 Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 56
^ cool I hadnt seem that thread and its pretty big I noticed. Unsubscribing and going to that one as we speak

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 436 Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Came across some eye candy the other day on my X1. Look for a free download called "Air Racers" or something like that. It's a 40-minute short about, you guessed it, airplane racing. Some of the 4K content is outstanding.
post #423 of 436 Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm trying to factory reset my X1 so I can put it on eBay. I deleted all the movies from it manually and the selected "Reset All Settings" from the Settings menu. However, when I turn it on and pass the initial EULA, I get a login screen that still shows my user email address. There seems to be no way of making it forget it!

Any suggestions on how to accomplish a full reset on this unit?

Thanks!

Abstract yourself!
post #424 of 436 Old 01-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Bump...poor thread...poor X1...still have one sitting in a box upstairs...

Sent from my Nexus 6
post #425 of 436 Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 27
And I still don't know how to get rid of mine without revealing my login information.

Abstract yourself!
post #426 of 436 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 148
OK - I'm going to ask one of the strangest questions I've asked yet. Has anyone taken theirs apart yet? What is the format of the movies it downloads - MKV? The reason I ask is, I will never pay for another movie to download on it. The audio quality sucks. I'm wondering if I could take the movies from that drive, put them on my PC and stream them through my Oppo in the event their are dts-ma or other audio tracks in the movie that the FMPX1 simply can't play back.
post #427 of 436 Unread Yesterday, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
OK - I'm going to ask one of the strangest questions I've asked yet. Has anyone taken theirs apart yet? What is the format of the movies it downloads - MKV? The reason I ask is, I will never pay for another movie to download on it. The audio quality sucks. I'm wondering if I could take the movies from that drive, put them on my PC and stream them through my Oppo in the event their are dts-ma or other audio tracks in the movie that the FMPX1 simply can't play back.
What does taking it apart have to do with the format of the movies stored on the hard drive?
post #428 of 436 Unread Yesterday, 02:56 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
What does taking it apart have to do with the format of the movies stored on the hard drive?
Taking the drive out and finding out the file format. Is there another way you can get the files off the drive?
post #429 of 436 Unread Today, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Taking the drive out and finding out the file format. Is there another way you can get the files off the drive?
The video format us exclusive to Sony.
Unplayable except on their player. Nothing wrong with the audio if set up correctly. Plays 5.1 48khz lossless bitstream.
post #430 of 436 Unread Today, 04:30 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
The video format us exclusive to Sony.
Unplayable except on their player. Nothing wrong with the audio if set up correctly. Plays 5.1 48khz lossless bitstream.
Thanks - I have the same movies on BD and the DTS-MA for whatever reason sounds significantly better. It's a shame I can't convert them to something so I can get rid of the FMP.
post #431 of 436 Unread Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks - I have the same movies on BD and the DTS-MA for whatever reason sounds significantly better. It's a shame I can't convert them to something so I can get rid of the FMP.
The point we are making is that it shouldn't sound any different. The files from my FMP-x10 sound perfect. Perhaps you should be looking for another explanation as to why the audio doesn't sound the same.
post #432 of 436 Unread Today, 08:10 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

I get lossless should sound the same but you'll often notice a DTS track of the "same" quality sounds cleaner than a dolby track whether they are old school or the new lossless DTS and Dolby standards.

I can convert a movie from LPCM to flac lossless and it doesn't sound as good. I have an FMP-x1 - perhaps your x10 is better for audio.
post #433 of 436 Unread Today, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I get lossless should sound the same but you'll often notice a DTS track of the "same" quality sounds cleaner than a dolby track whether they are old school or the new lossless DTS and Dolby standards.

I can convert a movie from LPCM to flac lossless and it doesn't sound as good. I have an FMP-x1 - perhaps your x10 is better for audio.
I had the X1 before it was replaced with the X10, so I am familiar with your hardware. What I am saying is that if the movie is playing from the X1 with a lossless audio format, say DTS HD MSTR, then it should sound the same as a movie playing from another device, also in DTS HD MSTR. Of course, if it is only Dolby Digital from the X1, then it will sound different.

Regardless, the X1 was a real POS in my opinion, and the sooner you get rid of that boat anchor, the better off you will be.
post #434 of 436 Unread Today, 09:32 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Interesting. I guess I'll see if I can sell it as I've got $300 credit for downloads and a barely used FMP. Unfortunately that is a pretty niche market for resale.
post #435 of 436 Unread Today, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I guess I'll see if I can sell it as I've got $300 credit for downloads and a barely used FMP. Unfortunately that is a pretty niche market for resale.
Problem is the the X10 replacement can stream 4K from Netflix, which makes it more marketable.
post #436 of 436 Unread Today, 10:35 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

I suppose. I won't bother with the x10 either. Sony's 4k media players aren't what I'm looking for. I got it to test 4K on my TV. The experiment is over. I've got the original box and $300 worth of credits for any movies or 4K TV shows. I should be able to get something on ebay.

Last edited by boe; Today at 10:39 PM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page