Sony 4K Media Streamer FMP-X1 $699 Coming Summer 2013- - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 423 Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody plan to use the server with the upcoming VW600ES? I think the projector must be out any day now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 423 Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since Sony claims they will download one or two movies per month based on what they think consumers will want to view so they can view them quickly then does that perhaps mean that on rentals (not preloaded) the rental period starts after one starts viewing versus when ordered or down load completed?
post #93 of 423 Old 11-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Does anybody plan to use the server with the upcoming VW600ES? I think the projector must be out any day now?
Yes, I plan to use it with the VW1100ES. My main concern is whether I can run it through my AV processor (with HDMI 1.4) or I need to connect it directly to the projector. I know that 4K at 60 fps will need HDMI 2.0 but maybe at lower rate it can be switched via HDMI 1.4. Does anyone know the answer? I will also be using HDBaseT due to 50 ft. cable run to projector.

Bob Meixner
post #94 of 423 Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sner View Post

Yes, I plan to use it with the VW1100ES. My main concern is whether I can run it through my AV processor (with HDMI 1.4) or I need to connect it directly to the projector. I know that 4K at 60 fps will need HDMI 2.0 but maybe at lower rate it can be switched via HDMI 1.4. Does anyone know the answer? I will also be using HDBaseT due to 50 ft. cable run to projector.

I am not sure this will work, you might want to post your AV processor here and the HDBaseT solution.

Probably best to first work with two classic HDMI cables with output 1 from the FMP-X1 going to the projector and output 2 going to your AV processor in order to verify that all is working properly in the most basic setup.

Do you already have an estimated delivery date for your VW1100ES?
post #95 of 423 Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM

Oliver,

My AV processor is Classe CT-SSP and my installer thinks the 1100ES will be delivered in late November/ early December. They have scheduled installation for 12/18. rolleyes.gif we'll see.

I agree that running two cables is the best approach. I'm looking at possible Crestron HDBaseT solution : http://www.crestron.com/downloads/pdf/spec_sheets/commercial_and_residential/hd-ext3-c.pdf
Another wild idea might be to install the FMP-X1 in the dropped ceiling near the projector so I could use short HDMI cable. I would still need to get audio back to the equipment rack but that is probably not an issue since the FMP-X1 has a second HDMI output for audio I believe.

Bob Meixner
post #96 of 423 Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oliver,

My AV processor is Classe CT-SSP and my installer thinks the 1100ES will be delivered in late November/ early December. They have scheduled installation for 12/18. rolleyes.gif we'll see.

I agree that running two cables is the best approach. I'm looking at possible Crestron HDBaseT solution : http://www.crestron.com/downloads/pdf/spec_sheets/commercial_and_residential/hd-ext3-c.pdf
Another wild idea might be to install the FMP-X1 in the dropped ceiling near the projector so I could use short HDMI cable. I would still need to get audio back to the equipment rack but that is probably not an issue since the FMP-X1 has a second HDMI output for audio I believe.

If you haven't bought anything yet with regard to cabling I would strongly suggest to consider the solution with the long cable to the AV processor and the short cable to the projector.
There is a second HDMI output on the FMP-X1 so that should work for audio but you might be the first one to use it connected to a Classé preamp. It might be an idea to alert your installer to the potential pitfalls of your setup as from what I read here and elsewhere installing and operating the FMP-X1 is not always a case of plug and play.
post #97 of 423 Old 11-20-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

If you haven't bought anything yet with regard to cabling I would strongly suggest to consider the solution with the long cable to the AV processor and the short cable to the projector.
There is a second HDMI output on the FMP-X1 so that should work for audio but you might be the first one to use it connected to a Classé preamp. It might be an idea to alert your installer to the potential pitfalls of your setup as from what I read here and elsewhere installing and operating the FMP-X1 is not always a case of plug and play.

Agreed. For the FMP-X1 I will suggest the long/short approach to my installer. For the other sources(Blu-Ray, appleTV, STB, legacy analog) I think the Classe to the projector with an HDBaseT extender should work. The 1100ES has two HDMI inputs so this should not be a problem. I will post next month re the outcome and how well the FMP-X1 "plays with other children".

Bob Meixner
post #98 of 423 Old 11-21-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will post next month re the outcome and how well the FMP-X1 "plays with other children".

Please do, it is about time that the FMP-X1 is showing its stuff on those really big pictures that are not possible with TVs smile.gif
post #99 of 423 Old 11-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post

Since Sony claims they will download one or two movies per month based on what they think consumers will want to view so they can view them quickly then does that perhaps mean that on rentals (not preloaded) the rental period starts after one starts viewing versus when ordered or down load completed?

Can someone please answer this as I'm receiving my 65X900 with media player and trying to decide if I will use it or sell it new. I spoken with Sony and they claim that rentals being streamed will start as soon as there's enough buffer similar to Netflix and UTube but I'm looking for confirmation from actual users. I don't plan on buying movies since that's not my thing.

Also, I'm getting 24Mbps wireless so do I have to hardware the media player or perhaps do a Powerline 500? Wired from my router is not an option. I have a Comcast 50Mbps plan.
post #100 of 423 Old 11-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have the same Comcast plan, and connect wirelessly, so, as long as you have a decent router, it shouldn't be a problem..

Plus, it never takes more than a minute or 2 for a movie to start, so I doubt you will have a issue with that either..
post #101 of 423 Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I have the same Comcast plan, and connect wirelessly, so, as long as you have a decent router, it shouldn't be a problem..

Plus, it never takes more than a minute or 2 for a movie to start, so I doubt you will have a issue with that either..

That makes sense. Thanks.
post #102 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Can someone please answer this as I'm receiving my 65X900 with media player and trying to decide if I will use it or sell it new. I spoken with Sony and they claim that rentals being streamed will start as soon as there's enough buffer similar to Netflix and UTube but I'm looking for confirmation from actual users. I don't plan on buying movies since that's not my thing.

Also, I'm getting 24Mbps wireless so do I have to hardware the media player or perhaps do a Powerline 500? Wired from my router is not an option. I have a Comcast 50Mbps plan.

The FMP -MUST- be plugged into iinternet, but what other including myself do is get something like an expensive Apple Airport and extend the wireless and plus the X1 into that and run the TV wireless. In fact the only reliable way to work with the new Apple wireless stuff is TV wire-LESS- and X1 plugged into the Airport doing the network exanpsion.

There are much cheaper solutions, check this and the AVS forum for the TV and see what brand/model others use.

--

This device does not stream.

It guesses / assumes what you want to watch and down loads them ahead of time. Don't be mislead by reports of rental starting to play immediately. That only happens if movie has been pre loaded.

If the movie is not pre downloaded, it will take hours to download. I have >100 Mbs internet and Lawerenece of Arabia takes 24 hours because the TV/FMP internet software is slow and never goes faster than about 16 Mbs.

It does not stream, it does not stream, it does not stream.

--

I doubt anybody would buy it if you do sell it. It doesn't work with any other TV, it does not stream, it does not work wireless. it does not operate gracefully (UI is terribly slow). However if you want to see 4k native, Sony has you over a barrel..
post #103 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

I bought a 40 dollar netgear wireless N adapter, and plugged it in and it works perfectly; yes, you cant sell the media server to anyone who doesn't have the sony tv already, since it wont work unless you do.

There was an update a couple of days ago which improved the response time significantly..

EVERY thing I have watched has started up within a minute or so, so I don't agree that it takes "hours" for things to download. Maybe I am lucky, but unless the device is psychic, and can read my mind to know what I might want to watch, the wait time isn't an issue for me.
post #104 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 08:19 AM

I understood the limitation of what exact TVs this devise connects to and that would be my target buyers should I decide to sell it.

Assuming I can get it to stream (conflicting responses) and the rental content is upto date with what I can get on demand from DirecTV then it would be worth keeping but if the content is old and I'm being asked to pay $4 for Breaking Bad per episode when I can get the series for $8 per month on Netflix then finding an existing owner of the required TVs is a better option.

I guess that leads to another question, is the rental content on par with DirecTV's latest releases and specially items that aren't yet on Netflix or am I only accessing stale content and better off living with upscaled 1080P content on the 65X900? There has to be a service worth wanting besides just having a delivery system that is so restrictive and proprietary.
post #105 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

no, the rental content is not on a par with anything like Netflix/direct Tv or dish

these are movies that are in 4k, and the available titles are NOT recent, current, or comparable to other video services..

the free stuff is fine, but not current stuff you will see on Netflix/directtv/dish; but, at least you can see some actual 4k content.

what is coming in the future no one knows, but Netflix has said they are moving to provide 4k content as fast as possible, so that is a hopeful sign...
post #106 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 AM

I don't mind being an early adopter and I see much value in the 65X900 other than future proofed 4K but I'm now scratching my head of what exactly to do with this round thing. Yes, actual 4K content is a valid reason but I'd prefer if it was current.

I've been reading about Natflix and their push to stream 4K and that's bringing hope but they tend to stream not the most current or in demand. It also sounds like DTV will at some point provide VOD 4K and that should promise the latest and greatest hits.

May be I can negotiate a price decrease if the store keeps the puck for one who'd truly appreciates it.

Thanks for all the responses as I wasn't able to research the meat of this issue on the Internet and speaking with salesman makes you think the future is here already.
post #107 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 884

I think many of us with the X1 have it because 1) we want some way to demonstrate 4K content, 2) we think it may have more current content at some time in the future, and 3) we got a good deal for purchasing it at the same time as the display.

If you are looking for current content like you might find on Netflix or DirecTV On-Demand, then you will be disappointed.

post #108 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Assuming I can get it to stream (conflicting responses)

I does not stream.

period.

Almost all of the content is 2 or 3 min clips, and there is about 600 GB on the device. I'd guess they preloaded essentially of that.

If you find that your rental starts immediately, you are lucky: it does NOT stream.

--

I spent $700 only to find out there is no content. I planned to enjoy watching Lawerence of Arabia, but after 24 hrs of down loading, I forgot to watch my $35 download…

When friends admire my TV I show them the Eldorado short.

in other words, sell it. I speculate version 2 of this monster is imminent. At least I hope so; or 4k is dead.
post #109 of 423 Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Dead???

Really dude, it hasn't even gotten past infancy yet....you need to be patient, its not like blu ray or HD exploded right out of the box...
post #110 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I spent $700 only to find out there is no content. I planned to enjoy watching Lawerence of Arabia, but after 24 hrs of down loading, I forgot to watch my $35 download…

Well it is only 500$ after the rebate. And if you pay 35$ you can watch Lawrence whenever you want as you purchased it and it stays on the server.
It would only be an issue to rent, no idea how that works out.
post #111 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:

EVERY thing I have watched has started up within a minute or so, so I don't agree that it takes "hours" for things to download. Maybe I am lucky, but unless the device is psychic, and can read my mind to know what I might want to watch, the wait time isn't an issue for me.

Just so we're all clear. I'm assuming this inlucdes full feature length two hour long films and not just shorts. Is that correct?
post #112 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 AM

Stopped by the Sony store yesterday where I was shown that Elysium was releasing shortly, therefore, we may be seeing new content as licensing gets finalized or other issues are ironed out. Not saying this is proof of anything but information others may find useful. I'm still not sure what to make of this but perhaps the new year brings better clarity.
post #113 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Just so we're all clear. I'm assuming this inlucdes full feature length two hour long films and not just shorts. Is that correct?

Don't mean to be harsh, or condescending, but I don't want to have anybody else spend $$$ on something that really doesn't have anything useful to offer. IMHO. The only thing I used out for after weeks of trying to get it to work correctly, is to occasionally turn it on and see there is still no content.

There are the 10 old movies you get for free, those are downloaded. Some of the breaking bad might be downloaded, as I recall the one of those I tried ran immediately. I take it back, it downloaded too.

The things you pay for may or may not be downloaded.

If your decision is going to be based on the thing having what you want to watch already pre-loaded

-obviously-

you are going to be disappointed if and when there ever is any content. For the moment they can down load anything that does get put into 4k because one movie a month happens to get added.

How on earth could they correctly guess what you want to watch? The drive will hold a 100 movies at the very most, and when there are more than 100 movies available what do you expect to happen?

Someday, there will be streaming, but this box

DOES NOT STREAM

YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT DOWNLOAD.

DOES NOT STREAM

How else can it be if it doesn't download all of netflix ahead of time and it doesn't stream???

trust me!

post #114 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes, the couple of full length movies I have watched only took a minute or 2 to start..obviously that will depend on internet speed, network congestion, etc..

remember, only one person here is harping about how horrible this thing is.
post #115 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

Don't mean to be harsh, or condescending, but I don't want to have anybody else spend $$$ on something that really doesn't have anything useful to offer. IMHO. The only thing I used out for after weeks of trying to get it to work correctly, is to occasionally turn it on and see there is still no content.

There are the 10 old movies you get for free, those are downloaded. Some of the breaking bad might be downloaded, as I recall the one of those I tried ran immediately. I take it back, it downloaded too.

The things you pay for may or may not be downloaded.

If your decision is going to be based on the thing having what you want to watch already pre-loaded

-obviously-

you are going to be disappointed if and when there ever is any content. For the moment they can down load anything that does get put into 4k because one movie a month happens to get added.

How on earth could they correctly guess what you want to watch? The drive will hold a 100 movies at the very most, and when there are more than 100 movies available what do you expect to happen?

Someday, there will be streaming, but this box

DOES NOT STREAM

DOES NOT STREAM

How else can it be if it doesn't download all of netflix ahead of time and it doesn't stream???

trust me!

Seems like you've endure a really bad experience and unfortunately often the case with early adoption. I would prefer if the consumer wasn't the guine pig or real world testing lab but it often seems to be the approach taken when manufacturers want to claim fist from concept to production.

Were you able to get it properly working and have you used it recently? I ask because others appear to not be having the same problems. I'm in no way discounting your experience and just tying to understand the facts.
post #116 of 423 Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Were you able to get it properly working and have you used it recently? I ask because others appear to not be having the same problems. I'm in no way discounting your experience and just tying to understand the facts.

No problem. It used to be so slow that it was unusable IMHO, and a number of people had the "network appears to be down" bug.

Sony's approach to the network bug is to use a linksys ethernet hub plugged into my Apple Airport Express (2103). I didn't want to add two more ethernet cables, and the hub itself, and it's power supply to my TV.

The trick, when it was all said and done, is to ignore Sony and run the TV wire-LESS- but connect the X1 wired to my 2013 Apple Extreme which is extending the wifi from my 2013 Time Capsule that is on a fiber internet. Works great and way less wires involved.

The error message "The network appears to be down", is triggered by the X1, but the error message for that problem from the X1 for that is different. The message, "The network appears to be down", is actually coming from the TV. Sony themselves missed that point, which lead to a short 2 week debugging session including Sony insisting 2wire.com proves my network was messed up, and then replacing the X1, and so on. Eventually they discovered and admitted there was conflict between their product and the Apple when the TV was wired.

I prefer not having the TV wired, but fear they have some sort of problem with lawyers that will eventually require that for licensing. sigh.

--

The X1 is getting better. They updated its firmware a few days ago, and now the user interface is faster; fast enough to not be annoying. However there is still:

a) no streaming,

b) even if you're willing to wait 2-24 hours for a movie to download, there is essentially zero 4k content to download.

So, no, I don't use it.

-jj

I just checked, and there is one Smurf movie now available in 4k. If I was Sony, I'd want to sell all the $35 downloads I could and thereby encourage people to buy expensive new TVs...
post #117 of 423 Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

for the life of me, I cant remember how to get into the settings menu on the server; can someone remind an old man on how to do it?

thank you and happy turkey day!
post #118 of 423 Old 11-28-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:

for the life of me, I cant remember how to get into the settings menu on the server; can someone remind an old man on how to do it?

thank you and happy turkey day!

Are you talking about the settings on the X1?  If you navigate to the screen that allows you to open "My 4K Videos", open that link, and there is a settings option in the upper right corner of the screen.

wase4711 likes this.
post #119 of 423 Old 11-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

yes, thats what I meant!

thanks so much
post #120 of 423 Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
MY A/V receiver is pre HDMI and I only have optical and coax digital inputs - If I connect the x1 to a hdmi switcher with toslink and coax output like this one from monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2 will it pass at least 5.1 through the digital outputs. The digital outputs on the TV only output stereo is my understanding and I would like to get 5.1 somehow from the x1
Thanks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page