Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 416 Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I suppose it isn't that big of a thing in the scheme of things however I do feel Sony wronged me and did nothing to rectify the situation and that is what really irks me far more than an unusual selection of movies that I won't have for viewing. I kind of liked salt - Elysium was unpleasant and even though I got that for free (the only commercial movie they gave me) I'll never watch it. If Sony had just said - here is the redemption code for the original movies or here is a redemption code for any 3 movies of your choice or we'll refund your purchase including shipping if you send the unit back, I would have been perfectly happy with those options. I could have found plenty of 4K movies I wanted if they just offered 3 of my choice. All Sony has done is put me off their repeat buyer list and I've owned a LOT of Sony products over the years including their first ES prepro, a number of ES CD, DVD and BR players and their 2nd ES prepro.
jjnbos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 416 Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

An "immediate" exchange would have taken 2 weeks as they had none left in stock. I was going out of town for 2 weeks so it didn't matter that much to me. The TV was defective but you can't do anything with the FMP unless you have a TV to use it with.

Ok so it was the TV not the FMP then. My thoughts are you are kind of caught in a loophole there since the FMP was technically ok. Pity about the TV being defective, I'd have been spewing if that had happened to me. I think you were just one of the unlucky few who got caught out with the 6 month window to download the movies. It could have been the same for me. I only managed to activate my FMP on about the second week of December. There was info on other threads about the deadline running out for the movies end of Dec. One small piece of solace maybe the fact that out of the free movies there's prob only 4 really stand out transfers. Plus several of the free movies are just plain crap like That's My Boy. Elysium is an OK movie which I had to pay for, but is an excellent transfer. Same goes for Lawrence. I wouldn't feel bad at all if I were you in stepping back in the support of Sony. You seem to have been pretty brand-centric with them. I'd have put several other brands of AVP's, BD players, and DVD players ahead in pref to Sony's offerings..

post #183 of 416 Old 02-04-2014, 04:07 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

You seem to have been pretty brand-centric with them. I'd have put several other brands of AVP's, BD players, and DVD players ahead in pref to Sony's offerings..
I was for a while. I got very good discounts on their ES stuff (back when their ES stuff was good - and believe it or not it was). I had also purchased a number of other brands over the last 25 years.

I currently have an Anthem AVP, Oppo BR player, Anthem P5 and P2, and VS speakers. The only Sony item I have is the TV and FMP.
post #184 of 416 Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I was for a while. I got very good discounts on their ES stuff (back when their ES stuff was good - and believe it or not it was). I had also purchased a number of other brands over the last 25 years.

I currently have an Anthem AVP, Oppo BR player, Anthem P5 and P2, and VS speakers. The only Sony item I have is the TV and FMP.

I never bought into the ES, probably as in those times I'd moved beyond AVR's into more esoteric pre-pros like Meridian. But I do remember the ES stuff getting decent feedback. It's all good, some people can become sort of myopic towards some brands. If you go back over time compress it all I'm sure it's not hard to build up a list if you've bought a few Sony components along with TV's over the years. Sounds like your on the right track with Anthem and Oppo. I've just put a P5 into my system and replaced a Meridian and Rotel amp.

post #185 of 416 Old 02-08-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I promised Oliver back in November that I'd post after the 1100ES and FMP-X1 were installed. Well there were delays from Sony in the delivery of the 1100 but it was installed a couple of days ago and (believe it or not), the puck actually works. The picture on my screen (122.25 X 52 ) 2.35:1 Stewart is incredible on good transfers. Unfortunately the 10 free movie offer has expired so all I got was Elysium and about 30 short clips. Of those, "Eldorado" and a few others are very impressive. If you use an AVP, make sure you enable the HDMI2 audio in the 4K app "settings" menu. I am using a pair of fiber optic cables(Celerity) to the projector due to my long (60 ft.) runs. So far, no video problems.

I wish more movies were available for rent since the purchase price for most is $30. I guess that is good compared to what I used to pay for Laser Discs back in the day, but now with 1080p movies from AppleTV, Netflix, etc for $5(rental), that $30 seems a bit steep.

Bob Meixner
post #186 of 416 Old 02-09-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for your reply and I agree that no rental on some of the movies is not OK - after all how many of them will you possibly want to watch more than once?

As you preordered your X1/1100 combo way before christmas I would be rather unhappy, too with only getting one instead of 10 free movies. Maybe try to talk to Sony support about it - not your fault that the 1100 was delayed.
post #187 of 416 Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sner View Post

I promised Oliver back in November that I'd post after the 1100ES and FMP-X1 were installed. Well there were delays from Sony in the delivery of the 1100 but it was installed a couple of days ago and (believe it or not), the puck actually works. The picture on my screen (122.25 X 52 ) 2.35:1 Stewart is incredible on good transfers. Unfortunately the 10 free movie offer has expired so all I got was Elysium and about 30 short clips. Of those, "Eldorado" and a few others are very impressive. If you use an AVP, make sure you enable the HDMI2 audio in the 4K app "settings" menu. I am using a pair of fiber optic cables(Celerity) to the projector due to my long (60 ft.) runs. So far, no video problems.

I wish more movies were available for rent since the purchase price for most is $30. I guess that is good compared to what I used to pay for Laser Discs back in the day, but now with 1080p movies from AppleTV, Netflix, etc for $5(rental), that $30 seems a bit steep.

It's good that the fiber optic cables are working with the X1 and the 1100. I would have anticipated a potential for HDCP 2.2 passthrough issues, however the HDCP must be being delivered intact to the projector. There aren't many great transfers available via the X1 as yet that's for sure. It's infuriating how slow they are releasing new titles. Lawrence is suitably spectacular and worth the lengthy download. Looks fantastic on my ST130 138" (127x54). I agree the prices are really having a lend of the 'high end' early adopter market @$30 for new titles.

post #188 of 416 Old 02-09-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by sner View Post

I am not understanding your connections.  I understand the part about using HDMI2 from the X1 to the AVR.  But to get 4K video, the X1's HDMI1 output needs to be connected to the display.  What are you using the fiber cables for?

post #189 of 416 Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I am not understanding your connections.  I understand the part about using HDMI2 from the X1 to the AVR.  But to get 4K video, the X1's HDMI1 output needs to be connected to the display.  What are you using the fiber cables for?

I don't think it's particularly complicated. He's using Celerity Tech HDMI cables that use fiber optic to carry the 4K HDMI signal from X1 to the 1100 X1 fully intact, ensuring the HDCP 2.2 is present to allow the 4K video to be displayed correctly.

I was curious as to where the USB to run the Celerity is being powered from as unlike TV's the 1100 has no USB port to connect to. I guess one could use a female USB cable and snake it back along to the nearest power point if needed.

post #190 of 416 Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think it's particularly complicated. He's using Celerity Tech HDMI cables that use fiber optic to carry the 4K HDMI signal from X1 to the 1100 X1 fully intact, ensuring the HDCP 2.2 is present to allow the 4K video to be displayed correctly.

I was curious as to where the USB to run the Celerity is being powered from as unlike TV's the 1100 has no USB port to connect to. I guess one could use a female USB cable and snake it back along to the nearest power point if needed.

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with that technology.
post #191 of 416 Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Oz is correct(and his screen is bigger than mine rolleyes.gif )
1. The reason you need two cables is that one caries the HDMI(1.4) output from the Classe to the projector and the other carries the video from the X1 to the projector. Only one of the 1100ES HDMI inputs is HDMI 2.0
2. The cables just have regular HDMI connectors on both ends as shown in the picture in this link: http://www.celeritytek.com/product.html
3. Oz is correct that the cables need to be powered on the receiving (but not transmitting) end. My projector is ceiling mounted and has an outlet nearby from which the cable receives power through a USB dongle.

Bob Meixner
post #192 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

The new HDMI(4) circuit was installed by Sony techs this past Monday, and it's been smooth sailing since.

The XBR65 and the X1 work perfectly together, even got a software update this morning.

pics here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-x9-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread/690#post_23530262

are the 900a tv's being sold now still require the upgrade?

post #193 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1000 View Post

are the 900a tv's being sold now still require the upgrade?

Unless you get one that's been at the back of Funk and Wagnall's porch (sorry, old Carson reference) for the last 8 months, the 900A's have had the board factory installed since June or so.

I understand there is an X1 type sticker on the TV crate to signify it has the updated circuitry.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #194 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 AM

does hook up require 2 hdmis 

post #195 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

does hook up require 2 hdmis 
FMP-X1 OUT 1 goes to 900A HDMI(4) in and passes audio and video to the television
FMP-X1 OUT 2 goes to AVR if desired, and only passes audio.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #196 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 AM

does the media player have to be connected with ethernet? my tv is using wifi.

post #197 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Why are you double-posting? Were these questions not answered on the X900 thread to your satisfaction?
post #198 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

tim1000,

You are better off posting all comments and questions (TV and X1) to the 4K owner's thread, since there is far more traffic on that forum.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #199 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34

Quick question: is the tablet controller included in the same box as the media server? There was no tablet in my box.

post #200 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Liked: 11
There is no tablet or remote control in the box. you have to buy it seperately. You will need it to work with the projectors only, with Tvs you can use their remote controls.
post #201 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM

I think it is really strange that Sony does not allow most movies like Spiderman 1-3, MIB 1-3, Lawrence of Arabia, Angels and Demons, Da vinci Code and other titles to be rented. 30$ - 35$ buying only..WTF? i mean really Sony?! We cannot decide to rent a movie after paying 700$ for a server if we want to own or rent?
jjnbos likes this.
post #202 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by espny View Post

There is no tablet or remote control in the box. you have to buy it seperately. You will need it to work with the projectors only, with Tvs you can use their remote controls.
Thanks. I bought the bundle of the VPL-VW600ES projector, the X1 server, and the tablet. Now I have my installer looking around to find the tablet at his place or order me a replacement if it's gone missing.
post #203 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Thanks. I bought the bundle of the VPL-VW600ES projector, the X1 server, and the tablet. Now I have my installer looking around to find the tablet at his place or order me a replacement if it's gone missing.

That's kind of ordinary on behalf of your installer. Make sure that gets sorted since the tablet costs as much as $480 by itself, which is what it cost me.
Quote:

does the media player have to be connected with ethernet? my tv is using wifi.

Don't be so lazy, it's bad forum etiquette. This is a basic FAQ question you can find answered with a google search, let alone it's been stated dozens of times in this forum across various threads.
wase4711 likes this.

post #204 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding potential upcoming catalog titles for the X1 I found this list of 4k DCPs:

http://www.parkcircus.com/films/collections/558_4k_digital_cinema

Most of them are from Sony and of those quite a few are already on the X1 but others aren't. Most interesting (for me) are The Man from Laramie which is not even out on Blu-ray and Skyfall but also a lot of older black and white movies, the most famous one certainly being Dr. Strangelove.
It would be nice if Sony posted a bit about upcoming titles for the X1, so far it seems that it is a metter of turning on the X1 and seeing if there is something new or not which seems to be arather unusual way to deliver content. Also I might be mistaken but there is not even an official database anywhere where allt he movies that are on the server can be looked up.

With regard to viewing titles for rent it would also be nice to make the window for watching a title longer given the prolonged download times and to make all titles available for rent - having to buy a title that is only going to be watched once seems like a bad idea and it is not as if the rental fee was low.
Best case: Allow rental for all titles with a window for upgrading to buying, that would be nice.
espny likes this.
post #205 of 416 Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Regarding potential upcoming catalog titles for the X1 I found this list of 4k DCPs:

http://www.parkcircus.com/films/collections/558_4k_digital_cinema

Most of them are from Sony and of those quite a few are already on the X1 but others aren't. Most interesting (for me) are The Man from Laramie which is not even out on Blu-ray and Skyfall but also a lot of older black and white movies, the most famous one certainly being Dr. Strangelove.
It would be nice if Sony posted a bit about upcoming titles for the X1, so far it seems that it is a metter of turning on the X1 and seeing if there is something new or not which seems to be arather unusual way to deliver content. Also I might be mistaken but there is not even an official database anywhere where allt he movies that are on the server can be looked up.

With regard to viewing titles for rent it would also be nice to make the window for watching a title longer given the prolonged download times and to make all titles available for rent - having to buy a title that is only going to be watched once seems like a bad idea and it is not as if the rental fee was low.
Best case: Allow rental for all titles with a window for upgrading to buying, that would be nice.

+1 for Skyfall, that title has been top of mind for me lately and I reckon it would look sensational in 4K. Also Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from the Sony library - Batman Begin from the Warner library would be great to see as well. I hope the fact they are noted as being mastered in 4K already will lead to them being released on the X1 sooner rather than later. Here's hoping!

post #206 of 416 Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1 for Skyfall, that title has been top of mind for me lately and I reckon it would look sensational in 4K. Also Batman Begins and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from the Sony library. I hope the fact they are noted as being mastered in 4K already will lead to them being released on the X1 sooner rather than later. Here's hoping!

Skyfall will probably not look that exceptional with regard to resolution as it was shot predominantly on ARRI Alexa but still I will take the 4k version for a first viewing biggrin.gif

I think that Warner possibly has the biggest 4k library they just haven't released too many of them as 4k DCPs at the moment,. You can see quite a few of their classic 4k titles on the Hollywood Classics site, including Ben-Hur and Dr. Zhivago.
post #207 of 416 Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 AM

I definitely agree on the time frame for rental, 24hours is extremely short. And what I would love to see is a reduced buying price after watching/renting the movie!

Also I do nozt understand why prices are going up now: Bonnie & Clyde episodes are 10.99$. COME ON SONY!! You got to be kidding us.

Also I would love to know about the future plans for the X1s as new 4k streamers from Sony are almost ready, what will happen to our x1s? Will they still be fed with new material?

And why are there still so few movies (especially with rental option)

post #208 of 416 Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

Skyfall will probably not look that exceptional with regard to resolution as it was shot predominantly on ARRI Alexa but still I will take the 4k version for a first viewing biggrin.gif

I think that Warner possibly has the biggest 4k library they just haven't released too many of them as 4k DCPs at the moment,. You can see quite a few of their classic 4k titles on the Hollywood Classics site, including Ben-Hur and Dr. Zhivago.

I'm sure while not as good as having been shot on Red Epic, Skyfall will probably still benefit marginally by the 2K Arri Alexa image being able to be displayed via the 4K medium vs say 1080p bluray. I agree the Warners library is the most impressive for classics. Let's hope they make a move to get it into a consumer 4K format soon so we can all enjoy it smile.gif

post #209 of 416 Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espny View Post

I definitely agree on the time frame for rental, 24hours is extremely short. And what I would love to see is a reduced buying price after watching/renting the movie!
Also I do nozt understand why prices are going up now: Bonnie & Clyde episodes are 10.99$. COME ON SONY!! You got to be kidding us.
Also I would love to know about the future plans for the X1s as new 4k streamers from Sony are almost ready, what will happen to our x1s? Will they still be fed with new material?
And why are there still so few movies (especially with rental option)

Moving from the X1 to another device will be a good test of how much security for customers this new file based playback system offers. For those who want to move to the next device and if Sony wants this to go over smoothly they could do that easily by just allowing customers to export all movies to external drives and then reconnecting them to the new playback device, this could be very simple if done properly.
The only issue that I can see are the 10 free movies - somewhere the ownership of these would have to be registered. On the other hand the X1 is so new that I would hope that support for it will continue for some time. I have no idea how the X1 was promoted by Sony, was it promoted like a normal playback device or more as a stopgap solution?

And agreed about the pricing for the episodes of Bonnie & Clyde - part of it may be to gauge customer interest to different models of ownership and/or consumption, I think this is also the reasons for some movies being for rental and some not.
As the rewatch value of a series is probably low for most people I would also think that renting should be an option here but what do I know...
post #210 of 416 Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure while not as good as having been shot on Red Epic, Skyfall will probably still benefit marginally by the 2K Arri Alexa image being able to be displayed via the 4K medium vs say 1080p bluray. I agree the Warners library is the most impressive for classics. Let's hope they make a move to get it into a consumer 4K format soon so we can all enjoy it smile.gif

Last I heard Warner, Fox and Lionsgate want to team up with Amazon for some kind of download/streaming model - I would be in if it was possible to connect the playback device to my projector with a HDMI 2.0 interface.
I would think that Skyfall should still look good but maybe not quite as detailed as After Earth that was shot on the F65 - on the other hand there are those who say it may be a slightly better movie wink.gif
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page