Pros Please Help: Proposed Temporary Streaming Solution. WIll this Work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Let me make this as simple as I can:

I own this router:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/wndr4500.aspx#

Purportedly, it can be attached to an external HDD via usb, access the files, and make them available to devices on my network.

Please correct me if I'm in error.

Now, while I realize this is not an ideal solution and that I'll prolly want a NAS and more storage down the road, will this work temporarily for kid flicks and some concerts that I do NOT have in my 400 disc BD changer:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Desktop-External-STCA3000101/dp/B00829THQE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365779900&sr=1-2&keywords=3+tb+seagate

I'm hopin to simply connect this to the above router via usb and be able to playback the files my ps3 which is also connected to said router via usb. All wired here, so I'm hoping to be in good shape moving HD around. Anything I can get on ipads and laptops is icing.

I realize I wont have a pretty GUI and such, I simply want to be able to see a file on my ps3 GUI and play it back.

I know very little, so I came here. If there's a better~$100 HDD option for playing back files through this router and my ps3 please advise. The "back up" moniker on this one has me a bit timid for moving files like this to the ps3 but seeing I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff my fear may be completely unwarranted. $119 brandy-new seems like a pretty nice deal for 3TBs.

thanks a ton, guys!

Seems to me this could be a rather inexpensive 3TB "system" at ~$225 for the router and HDD.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I think the problem you are doing to run into is what the PS3 will actually be able to play across the network.

Bill
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 164
These are .264 files that I thought were compatible with the ps3? Are you speaking about the router acting as an intermediary?

Seeing everything's hardwired so I didn't expect any real issues with the router actually. Shouldn't it just act like switch?

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page