OFFICIAL Seagate Central Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Well, knowing just enough to make me dangero...I mean, still stupid in the streaming world, I waltzed into best buy ready to buy a WD Live Hub to serve up movies off an HDD AND (imperatively for me) stream them locally to iPhones and iPads with their app.

Within 5 minutes I discovered the Seagate Central, a product I had yet to learn of in my travels searching for an "ideal" (lol) streamer.

Pretty reasonably priced I thought for 3TBs of local storage ($179): http://m.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/home/seagate-central/

In a nutshell this box basically makes your stored audio/video/photo files usable over your network...including apple devices via their app which has worked splendidly for me, thus far. Also through any web browser but the hiccup there seems to be a 2 gig file limitation.

I've only dragged and dropped about a dozen movies onto it thus far but the ps3 has been pretty good with them, playback-wise. My own personal goal is to discover what file type works best with the ps3 and iOS devices, but I may just grab a WDLive that I think should work much better, straightway.

I cannot wait until more inclined gentlemen get their hands on this so I can leech them for help!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At last a user for the Seagate Central. I know theyve just been released but ive had mine for about a week (uk). Picked it up along with a Series 7 Samsung TV. Very impressed so far although having issues with Metadata using the Smart TV app & the Android/iPhone apps. I find it picks & chooses when it wants to show the info.

That said I think its a fantastic bit of kit and does what it says on the box.

THe apps need alot of work imo...but its all new so give it time. I guess
post #3 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
^ Yes, thus far the apps for ios have been great...some files won't play back but that's not the Seagate's fault.

I'm still trying to figure out the best $100 streamer for me and my desire to consolidate a couple of these (Seagate 4TB HDDs) in a nice jukebox format.

Can anyone speak to a superior option that the PCH 210 for this?

thanks

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #4 of 11 Old 04-30-2014, 02:10 AM

I'm using the Seagate Central strictly for local (read: offline_internet) backup and media streaming purposes. I've written down my experience in this document, and hope that it might be handy for some of you...

SeagateCentrallocalNAS 987k .pdf file  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf SeagateCentral.pdf (987.0 KB, 113 views)
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"happyelements" has got transmission working:

http://stx.lithium.com/t5/Seagate-Central/unrar-first-version/td-p/217373

post #6 of 11 Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 PM

Liked: 12
Would the Seagate Central offer any advantage over my current method which is:

1. All videos stored in external hard drive.

2. I have three media players two of which are too far from my wireless router to expect any kind of video performance. These are connected via powerlines to my network and both perform flawlessly. The third is close enough to the router to deliver wireless video.

3. The third media player has a hard drive and Samba capability allowing playing video on the two remote media players from its' hard drive over the network. The only downside here is copying videos to the hard drive over the network is a very slow process. I can of course connect it to my PC for quicker copying but that's not convenient.

I'm happy with what I have so the question is, is there anything to gain with the Seagate Central?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you put your iTunes purchased movies on the central, can you use AIRPLAY from your iPhone to stream them to your ATV?
post #8 of 11 Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Hi I have a Seagate Central 3tb hard drive which I use to watch movies and TV shows on and is mostly great.
But when I try to watch a mkv movie using the app on my smart tv which I have downloaded the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen do not appear thus stretching the picture.
My TV is a Samsung ue46f800 I don't know if I can change any settings on the app or the TV.
Thanks for any help
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Recently picked one of these up.. Does anyone know of a way to set user quotas on these?

Among other things, I am using it for Time Machine backup for two Macs. I believe Time Machine will just keep taking more space until it reaches 100% and starts deleting the oldest backups. That won't work well for a multi-purpose NAS. I would like to allocate 1TB for one Mac, 500GB for the other, and the remaining 2TB for media. Can that be done?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunky View Post
"happyelements" has got transmission working:

http://stx.lithium.com/t5/Seagate-Ce...on/td-p/217373
I'm looking for a way to install Transmission on my seagate central. This is the only info I found about it, but this link doesn't work

Does anyone have more info?
post #11 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almararn View Post
I'm looking for a way to install Transmission on my seagate central. This is the only info I found about it, but this link doesn't work

Does anyone have more info?
I had it working perfectly for months, then an automatic firmware update happened and wiped the lot. I've been looking for the last 2 months to try and find where I got the transmission download from but seagate seem to have removed it.

I've tried a few different transmission builds over the last couple of months with no sucess, I think my next option will be to try and find the previous firmware. What firmware are you running?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming