I'd like to play Bluray ISO files across a network... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find a great answer....

I'd like to be able to backup my Bluray collection to a computer (PC) on my network and then play them in my theater room. Ive checked out the Popcorn hour stuff, and it seems pretty solid, however it seems to get mixed reviews around here. Basically I want to backup the disc 1:1 with menus and extras. I realize this will consume more space, but that really doesn't bother me too much.

What are everyone's recommendations for a box to play back ISO files and other types of streaming content? This will be on a wired network so wireless doesn't matter to me. What matters the most is that the audio and video isn't downgraded on the other end. Maybe this isn't all possible?

I'd also rather not build a HTPC for a couple reasons: 1. Cost of the hardware to playback files and process them, and also I don't want it in the theater making a ton of noise!

Thanks guys!

My Firearms/Outdoors forum: http://thegungroup.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlkYJ View Post

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I can't seem to find a great answer....

I'd like to be able to backup my Bluray collection to a computer (PC) on my network and then play them in my theater room. Ive checked out the Popcorn hour stuff, and it seems pretty solid, however it seems to get mixed reviews around here. Basically I want to backup the disc 1:1 with menus and extras. I realize this will consume more space, but that really doesn't bother me too much.

What are everyone's recommendations for a box to play back ISO files and other types of streaming content? This will be on a wired network so wireless doesn't matter to me. What matters the most is that the audio and video isn't downgraded on the other end. Maybe this isn't all possible?

I'd also rather not build a HTPC for a couple reasons: 1. Cost of the hardware to playback files and process them, and also I don't want it in the theater making a ton of noise!

Thanks guys!

You should check the HTPC forum. I think you'd be surprised at just how cheap and quiet you can make an HTPC these days.

Looky here!
post #3 of 15 Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Are there a lot of advantages? I would assume im going to still have a network drive array somewhere as I know the drives are loud and I wont get enough of them in a PC case.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 AM

Liked: 11
Look at the dune smart series of boxes. If you want to play Iso files (not 3d) they work well. Newer dune models play 3d, but don't handle Iso as well.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbs View Post

Look at the dune smart series of boxes. If you want to play Iso files (not 3d) they work well. Newer dune models play 3d, but don't handle Iso as well.

I will check those out! I have zero need for 3d and choose a PJ accordingly. (Epson 8350) The output lag is horrible on the 3d PJ's and as Im a gamer it was a no-brainer!

post #6 of 15 Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a fairly pro-Dune forum, so you're going to get quite a few recommendations for those. They are very good players though.

I go ISO only with my collection and I still run a Popcorn Hour A200. Practically same hardware as the smart series from Dune, but the Popcorn Hour 200 and 300 series all give full menu support. The 300 series are still working out bugs, but the 200 series have the best bang for the buck in my opinion since they're cheaper than Dune's
post #7 of 15 Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan69666 View Post

This is a fairly pro-Dune forum, so you're going to get quite a few recommendations for those. They are very good players though.

I go ISO only with my collection and I still run a Popcorn Hour A200. Practically same hardware as the smart series from Dune, but the Popcorn Hour 200 and 300 series all give full menu support. The 300 series are still working out bugs, but the 200 series have the best bang for the buck in my opinion since they're cheaper than Dune's

Thanks! I looked at the c200 a while ago and it seemed chock full of features! The reviews then were a bit shaky but it was probably 8 months ago I looked.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbs View Post

I have a Dune HD H1 - I was told it will do BD menus. I want to play BD iso files but the Dune is not seeing the iso files on my Windows Home Sever 2011 Video folders.... UPNP only sees the BluRays I've saved in BDMV folders. SMB doesn't see anything on the server. I'm wondering if I'm missing something fundamental...???

TIA for any suggestions!

EDIT: Resolved the issue - added links on the H1 pointing to the server IP and shared folders.

Wyatt
post #9 of 15 Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlkYJ View Post

Thanks guys!

I don't think ANY media players can play full bluray menus except the Dune Prime series. I'm actually selling my Prime 3.0. I would always lean towards Dune on any media player. I own Popcorn and Dune and love Dune
post #10 of 15 Old 04-21-2013, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I don't think ANY media players can play full bluray menus except the Dune Prime series.
My Netgear NeoTV550 can, but it has been out of production for a while now and probably will be hard to find new.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Check ebay you will find ntv550 for 80 dollars.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the 550 is both great and sucky at the same time. basically, it plays almost everything I throw at it, but occasionally locks up so that it needs to be manually rebooted (unplugged/replugged) which is a major pain. With the fact that we can telnet into the device, we should be able to write a tool that allows for it to be rebooted remotely.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi BigBlkYJ,
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post

the 550 is both great and sucky at the same time. basically, it plays almost everything I throw at it, but occasionally locks up so that it needs to be manually rebooted . . .
I agree, except I have been spared most of the sucky part. My NeoTV-550 plays full Blu-Ray folder-rips without ever a hiccup. Mine has never failed to play anything, and has never locked-up on me. It is also much more functional than my Dune Smart, as well as much cheaper. I seem to be the exception, however. I have come across some of the bugs, but they don't effect me with the way I use it (playing Blu-Ray, DVDs and music from a NAS).
post #14 of 15 Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post

I don't think ANY media players can play full bluray menus except the Dune Prime series. I'm actually selling my Prime 3.0. I would always lean towards Dune on any media player. I own Popcorn and Dune and love Dune

The Dune Smart series play iso and bluray folders perfectly fine.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #15 of 15 Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I can't believe I haven't checked back here recently. Been super busy! Thanks for all of the input guys! Looks like I have some shopping to do wink.gif I would love to catalog everything I have and not have to get up constantly and load a different movie or show.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page