Network wiring for condo ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a new condo. It has three bedrooms and a living room. Each of the rooms has two coaxial drops wired back to central wiring box in one closet. The outside cable is wired to that box and split to the living room and two of the bedrooms.

When I purchased the place, my initial plan was to run Cat 5e/6 drops to each room and have a central wiring closet with either a punch board or just a ghetto router. However, when I went into the crawl space in the attic, it does not have much room to work, on top of the fact that I have 12 foot ceilings.

Since I have decided I can deal with wireless for most of the rooms of the condo, I think that I can make due with just one wired connection between my office in one of the bedrooms and my living room with my HTPC and other equipment.

I was considering simply joining two of the drops with a female to female connector such as this:
http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/cable-tv-accessories/f-type-connectors/product-200-053.php

Then using some sort of coaxial converter on each side such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EQ4BQG/ref=twister_B008C1JC4O?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note that is will be an otherwise dead line that I will be using, so I’m not sure if this is what I will need as this seems to be for someone that need network connectivity on an otherwise hot cable line. Not that this is overly expensive, but is there something cheaper I could use?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use similar devices as the one you linked to that are made by netgear. You can sometimes get a better deal on ebay, but prices seem to be higher now than they were a year ago
post #3 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Liked: 14
What you are looking for sounds like a MoCA device. Maybe one of the newer powerline devices would work in your case as well?
post #4 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
It seems like I am not going to get the type of speed that I am hoping for with these MoCA devices, so I guess I'm just going to suck it up and wire it with Cat6 to each room.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page