PS3 Media Server problems streaming issues, ps3 slim at fault? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a powerful computer 3770k 16GB ram... streaming ps3 media server to a slim 120GB version PS3 via Wireless e3000 router.

I get stuttering and justs plain failure to buffer while streaming sometimes even 480p content, doesnt matter if its MP4 or AVI or .VOB they all do it just the same.

The router seems to work fine, I get a steady 45ms ping at 30 Down 5 Up wirelessly to the computer.

Ive read all the ps3 media server guides and decoding guides and all that....Not sure whats happening, but I have a feeling maybe the slim cheap version of ps3 cannot handle whats going on?

This is being played on a 1.5 year old 55" samsung LED LCD UN55D8000.
Here is the kicker, TV is connected wirelessly with smart hub as well which for the most part is such a slow headache, take 5 seconds to get feedback from the remote etc
BUT it finds the ps3 media server as a network device and can stream 1080P .MKV with DTS no problem, no hiccups. So I will continue to use it this way until I find an answer as to why the PS3 cannot handle it, I would think the ps3 would be more powerful then my tv but who knows? eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not all wireless clients are equal, it could simply be the PS3 has a poor link to the wireless. FYI the TV uses hardware video decoders it does not software decode video like the PS3, also the TV does not need to transcode video as it can play them natively.

Probably wont make a difference but try dumping PS3 media server and use Serviio instead.

For wireless best performance;
* 802.11n mode only on router, b/g disabled but that will knock b/g wireless devices off the network.
* IGMP multicast and UPnP enabled on router.
* WPA2 AES set as security mode, anything else when using 802.11n will damage the speed of the link.
* Also worth trying changing the channel or if the option is there set it to auto

If you have a smartphone or tablet install Skifta on it and you can control playback from Serviio to the Samsung TV that way avoiding using the TV remote.