Cheapest solution to stream video content from another PC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am getting a second TV (non-Smart) for my bedroom and would like to you set up a streaming solution from another PC in the home network.
I would like to stream video content (AVI, MKV, etc.) stored in my main HTPC in the living room wireless to the new TV.
Will Roku do something like this or do I need to get another HTPC connected to the new TV and connect to the network wireless? Any all-in-one budget HTPC solution that can handle 1080p decoding?
BTW, I don't need any other streaming services likeNetflix, Hulu, etc.
TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

WD TV Live, I am not even sure why there are still other options on the market because these are the simplest, most reliable way to play every format out there, and the price is right. Now that the latest ones have wireless built in, they really are the perfect device to play content in a distributed home network. I have 2 in my house, and even one in my truck, They play everything I have ever thrown at them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
You will encounter issues playing high bitrate content (i.e. bluray movies) via wireless. SD content will be fine though. I wouldn't call the WDTV reliable though. For the money it isn't a bad media player. I bought one tested it, and it works pretty good. I had issues with some files playing correctly, but found that M2TS single file format for BD and MKV SD played the best for me. FYI WDTV doesn't support DTS-MA only True HD. However, I've heard that the newer versions are playing DTS MA and True HD. However, I am not sure if this is true or not.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

As i am reading the reviews I see that there seem to be inconsistencies and reliability issues when streaming from another computer in a network.
Has this been an issue? I am looking for something like AirVideo app (if you use iPhone) where I can load up a screen on the TV and see a list of videos in a folder and just click to play. Is this how WD TV Live works? I will most likely watch SD content.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page