Need Wifi Wireless Router recommendations! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure if I need to get one of those AC/Gigabit routers or stick to the Wireless N Dual band.

Current uses -
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon streaming.
Wireless laptops, tablets & smartphones
In-home pics & document file sharing.

Future wishes -
NAS external access for streaming/file sharing

Would appreciate any advice for primary needs are:

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No. You'd be better served waiting till phase 2 of the 802.11ac rollout occurs later this year. Right now there's nothing really compelling with the phase 1 products which will not be upgradeable to the phase 2 features. The biggest feature to look forward to with phase 2 is the ability to do simultaneous wireless communication to multiple wireless devices.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Not sure if I need to get one of those AC/Gigabit routers or stick to the Wireless N Dual band.

Current uses -
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon streaming.
Wireless laptops, tablets & smartphones
In-home pics & document file sharing.

Future wishes -
NAS external access for streaming/file sharing

Would appreciate any advice for primary needs are:

I would stick with a Dual Band Wireless N - in fact I did I got the Asus RT66U a couple of months and couldn't be happier much better range throughput and relaibility than my old router

See here a review on the Asus AC Router http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31841-asus-rt-ac66u-80211ac-dual-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router-reviewed

In their closing thoughts they say

'Buyers in search of a high performance wireless router should stick with the RT-N66U Dark Knight vs. the RT-AC66U, at least for now.'

and

'there is no reason to jump on the draft 11ac bandwagon at this point in hope of improving speed or range for two or three-stream N devices, because 11ac brings nothing to the table for them. 11ac should (at least that's the plan) improve throughput for single-stream N devices. But new chipsets supporting draft 11ac need to be baked into smart phones, tablets and other mobile thingies before that dream becomes reality.

If you're looking to "future proof" your wireless router choice, the current crop of draft 11ac routers isn't a good choice given their first-generation draft 11ac chipset. Router-side devices will probably benefit from a move to second (or third) generation 11ac chipsets, which hopefully will be designed to the final standard and include multi-user MIMO support'

Also check out their review on the RT66U - if you get one of those I think you will be very happy.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31687-asus-rt-n66u-dark-knight-dual-band-wireless-n900-gigabit-router-reviewed
post #4 of 8 Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you both for your insights ^^^.

I guess there is a reason they named it "draft".

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The comments listed regarding the AC standard are accurate. It is draft yes. But in the Netgear line their AC products not only employs the draft AC technology but enhanced N technology as well. The r6300 from Netgear uses a 3 radio technology for each band meaning 3 for 2.4 ghz and 3 for 5ghz band. This combined with technology called Beam Forming allows for enhanced N coverage and performance. I have lived with a Netgear r6300 for sometime and can say it has excellent N performance. I like everyone else do not have AC clients so I really cant speak to it but you hardly pay a premium for the AC technology in this router. As an N router it is an excellent choice plus you will get the other advantages that AC will bring in the near future.

In addition this router also includes a completely new UI design that is the best I have seen. It is packed with software features and enhanced software utilities for cloud, mobile and general network management.. Here is a review I wrote on the r6300. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1411661/netgear-r6300-r6100-gigabit-802-11ac-wireless-routers-thread.

Check it out I believe you will like what you see.

Other N routers you may wish to consider from Netgear are the WNDR4500 (best 3 radio N router for the money), r6200 (2 radio version of the r6300 (2 radios on the 5ghz band)) and if you want a combined NAS and router the WNDR4700 Centria which is an enhanced WNDR4500 with a high speed storage controller. All these products leverage the same software enhancements and reflectt the most up to date products from Netgear.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #6 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I wouldn't listen to what any of these manufacturers say or their advertising that preys on the uneducated consumer. They are just trying to sell you as many wireless router incarnations as possible. I would not support any protocol that hasn't been fully ratified by IEEE. Otherwise you are bound to encounter compatibility issues as every manufacturer seems to have their own ideas about what the final spec will be. Remember, pre, draft, etc means it isn't finalized and changes to the standard can be changed at any time before ratification. My advice would be similar to the first response to stick with Wireless N. Preferably, find a router compatible with DD-WRT firmware, flash your router, and receive the same performance and features of many industrial and commercial based autonomous cisco routers for a fraction of the price of the latest consumer offerings.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Standards remain in"draft" for a very long time, this should not bother us at the consumer level. However, it's going to be awhile before there is widespread support for AC so if you need a router now this should not be a priority.

As for recommendation, I haven't found anything but goodness from my Linksys E4200.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10
No reason to go to 802.11ac. Even 802.11n has a lot of interoperability problems now.

Would be better to get something with Atheros or Broadcom chipset (Asus RT66U, Linksys E3200 with tomato Shibby firmware, Buffalo WZR-600DHP – all of them have the price tag about 70$ plus tax) and use it at 5Hgz band.

If you have good WiFi adapter, you can use KMPlayer and play any 1080p stuff. At least I am able to play 1080p with average bitrate 42Mbit/sec. I do not have anything high than that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page