Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[Just in case someone might find it useful]

Hi.

For two years of usage my Slim S1 player started to have a cooler problem. On startup, the cooler would produce loud noise and then calm down after 10 seconds or so. It was not affecting the functionality but was annoying anyways.

I tried to look for the replacement cooler for what I had found to be 40 x 40 x 10mm 3 Pin 12 Volt 6000 RPM. There were some people from Australia suggesting the models but I could not find them in Europe. After some hours of searching and comparison, the best options I found were from shinyhardware.co.uk:

Evercool 40mm 4cm 40 x 40 x 7mm 3 Pin 12 Volt 6000 RPM
Evercool 40mm 4cm 40 x 40 x 10mm 3 Pin 12 Volt 5000 RPM

I decided to go for 40x40x7 with 6000 rpm (I am sure both will work properly) and now it works as if it were new. I hope it will last for another two years. Or until I decide to get a newer HD media player.

By the way, to take apart S1 you need to remove 4 rubber "feet". Then you will find 6 screw (Actually those are 5 bolts and 1 screw, so note which hole takes the screw), then you will need to take away 4 nuts from the old cooler (with the help of 4 bolts that hold the cooler) and place them into the new cooler).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Liked: 16
I read that this player has a universal jukebox. Out of curiousity and interest how does it work? And does it work well?

Thanks for your time!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post

I read that this player has a universal jukebox. Out of curiousity and interest how does it work? And does it work well?

Thanks for your time!

It's an old player and not worth going after. There are much better alternatives if looking for a universal jukebox like Plex for GoogleTV/Roku or XBMC which can be gotten on the Pivos XIOS DS set top box.

Even the popcornhours these days have a jukebox though not as good as Plex/XBMC.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I got it a couple of years ago because its ability to play most of the formats, including 1080P MKV and ISO, support for most of the subtitles and had a chance to test it before buying. I still haven't really looked closely at the apps like youtube, weather, news, etc. since this is not what I am looking for in a player. I have a notebook running on my desk and a smartphone and that is their job. The only minus that I see is that it takes a bit long (30 seconds) to boot.

I like the option for internal hard drive and its size. I can take it on the road without extra wires and storage to carry. Also, I do not want to depend on the network speed (even though it is wired) while watching a movie. In 95% of the cases I upload the movie into the internal hard drive to watch (it actually syncs automatically from my notebook's folder when player starts and notebook finds it). Another 5% is from USB stick which is 3.0 and it just much faster to copy if I want to watch something right away. So, for my current needs, I am good with my Slim S1. I do not remember a single time when I had to reset it.

so, if you ask me if it works well for me -- yes
does it all *I* need -- yes (no 3D, apps, blah blah)
am I [still, today] happy with it -- yes

If it happens so that I need to buy another media player soon, I again will be looking for small one that can take an internal hard drive (Android or not - does not matter to me), does its main job good, supports most formats, does not hang smile.gif and has a USB 3.0 port.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 View Post

It's an old player and not worth going after. There are much better alternatives if looking for a universal jukebox like Plex for GoogleTV/Roku or XBMC which can be gotten on the Pivos XIOS DS set top box.

Even the popcornhours these days have a jukebox though not as good as Plex/XBMC.

What about the Pivos AIOS -- that is, regarding a universal jukebox? I understand the Roku and XIOS have it, but I'm not sure they have all of the functionality I would like
in a media player, which is usually to play various MKVs, MP4s, good subtitle support (I have lots of foreign television shows) and a universal jukebox with all of the fancy art and descriptions would be nice.
Maybe I'm totally off base and am not using the term jukebox correctly -- but I always see those pages where they show a movie, all the stats regarding it, and the synopsis, that seems to be taken from somewhere -- having that for
my entire collection of media would be nice. My collection isn't that big so renaming things to work so that it can be found isn't that big a deal -- just wondering which players have it -- it seems the western digital live streaming may have it.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post

What about the Pivos AIOS -- that is, regarding a universal jukebox? I understand the Roku and XIOS have it, but I'm not sure they have all of the functionality I would like
in a media player, which is usually to play various MKVs, MP4s, good subtitle support (I have lots of foreign television shows) and a universal jukebox with all of the fancy art and descriptions would be nice.
Maybe I'm totally off base and am not using the term jukebox correctly -- but I always see those pages where they show a movie, all the stats regarding it, and the synopsis, that seems to be taken from somewhere -- having that for
my entire collection of media would be nice. My collection isn't that big so renaming things to work so that it can be found isn't that big a deal -- just wondering which players have it -- it seems the western digital live streaming may have it.

The XIOS is what you want, the AIOS is based off a similar Realtek chip like the Tvix.

The XIOS is completely different, built from the ground up on open source software to run XBMC and XBMC beats everything out there hands down when it comes to subtitles support and it has a unified jukebox.

You are jumping in at the deep end though so I would familiarize yourself first with XBMC on a PC and the XBMC quick start guide on their wiki to get an idea of how it works.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page