Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 128 Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

This also matches the Home Theater review onthe Sony 4K TV where he had 2 TV's side by side and he put in 4K on 1 tv and then a 1080 of that same movie on the other TV and used the upscaling engine and it was hard to tell apart

Hard to tell apart doesn't mean impossible to tell apart which lends to the sales guys whole "nother" level for the videophile. The rest of us may not care but the videophile will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Sony review used a 65 inch I think. It is in Home Theater

then the next question to those "videophiles" is would they be willing to bet a minimum of $100 per clip in a blind test to determine which is which?

THAT is the question that ends this argument

EVERY time I have asked a "sales clown" to bet money on anything they say, it is NO

case closed

Bottom line here is that the upscaling ability is super super close to the actual 4K and that will be the benefit of these tv's ; not actual 4K content that does not even exist right now
post #123 of 128 Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Agreed, it is very very hard to tell the difference between native 4K vs upscaled 4K (playing the same scene in a loop, on 65" 4K, viewed from 6ft away, display was calibrated prior to the A/B test in a light controlled room)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #124 of 128 Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Bluray is dead. It won't ever take off and is already being supplanted be IP streaming. Heck even Microsoft and Sony next gen systems will require an always on network connection and will not use optical disks for gaming.

Was browsing and found this gem of a quote. I must say it's ignorance of the new consoles at it's finest. Neither will be always online and both have a Blu-Ray optical drive for game disks.

There is a reason for that, and it's the same reason streaming Blu-Ray quality movies with lossless audio isn't happening. The Internet is not ready, the ISPs are too limiting, and the number of people with broadband capable of streaming it is too small.
David Susilo likes this.
post #125 of 128 Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 371
The funniest part is "it won't ever take off". When kiddie shows such as "The Little Pony" are already on Blu-ray, it means the format not only took off but considered successful by the studios.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #126 of 128 Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
There is a reason for that, and it's the same reason streaming Blu-Ray quality movies with lossless audio isn't happening. The Internet is not ready, the ISPs are too limiting, and the number of people with broadband capable of streaming it is too small.

I'm not going to totally disagree with your point, I do believe that Blu-ray optical is going to be here for awhile, but I have to disagree with what you are saying relative to online streaming. Perceived picture quality is fast approaching that of BR optical. 

I would not have said that before and it was only when I saw the Amazon instant preview trailer for Oblivion (over my PS3 Amazon app) that I came to this conclusion. The quality of that stream was the closest thing to BR I've seen anywhere. Amazon is doing some pretty impressive compression on that clip. It can only get better.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #127 of 128 Old 09-02-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 12
I own almost 200 Blu-Rays and about 900 DVDs. My HDX library on Vudu currently sits at 283 and will soon hit 400. I fully acknowledge that HDX is not Blu-Ray quality, so why would I want so many movies in HDX? Simple. Because HDX is vastly superior to DVD and I can get HDX copies of almost half my DVD movies for $2.50 each right now. I also get UV copies of movies I own on Blu-Ray for portable use or viewing in secondary locations like bedrooms. It is hard to argue with paying $1 for that kind of convenience. I don't really see HDX as a replacement for owning Blu-Rays of the movies I care about most, but it is a hell of an upgrade for an aging library of DVDs and a huge convenience when traveling. I have also discovered that I can buy UV codes for many new releases for $2-5. That's less than the cost of renting or PPV. If the movie turns out to be a true gem, then I'll add it to my list and pick it up on Blu-Ray. Otherwise, why bother?
David Susilo likes this.

Scott
post #128 of 128 Old 02-21-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I am mostly a Blu-Ray guy, I have made the conversion from DVD over and barely have any DVDs left. I do download movies from time to time, I have done some comparisons with my 100" screen using my Sony HD Projector and I do notice more compression on downloads to my eyes, Blu-Ray looks better. Call me old school, but I still like physical media as I have more control over it than downloads I do have several back ups of back ups, but if we keep on digitizing everything won't it cause more job loss? I mean a factory employing people making physical media seems better than some online cloud based system run by the evil ever watching HAL!! wink.gif LOL
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Django Unchained Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Django by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page