Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2013, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm in the midst of wiring a remodel right now
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1469575/wiring-this-week-hdmi-or-cat6-directv-samsung-rvu-coax-needed-3-bids-4k-9k-13k-help-please

And hoping that some of you have tried the new Samsung TV's w/ Plex to stream movies.

Currently I use boxee's DLNA to my synology file server.

What I was probably going to move towards is the synology file server, a mac mini for transcoding, and was hoping the samsung TV's with the plex client would just be a easier/better experience for my family to use. It's 1 remote control to watch tv, then just launch the plex app and watch any movie I have stored.

This setup would keep me having to wire HDMI in the wall back to the closet to a boxee box and also keep from having a separate remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a 2011 D 6420, with the PLEX app installed. I have successfully added movies to my server using MakeMKV. (I am new to the server world, and ripping.) They play perfectly. (dvd's, not Blu-ray...) I have done Avengers, Star Trek, Skyfall, Dark Knight Rises, Hotel Transylvania. My personal music library, (lossless WMA), photo library, etc...
It's a little difficult to navigate, sometimes, with the folder layout. (not sure how many movies you have...)

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #3 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also own a newer Samsung 40" LED TV in the master bedroom and a Samsung Home Theater in a Box (that also has SmartHub) in the family room....both have the Plex Client installed (the Liaka version). The HTinB is hard wired and the TV is connected via WiFi...I have had no issues with Plex on either unit, also connecting to the Plex Server on a Synology DS 1812+. Although the majority of my video content is in h.264 mp4 format, I do have a few items that are in mkv format and I haven't had an issue streaming that content to either Plex Client. I'd say if you're running Plex on the backend, then Samsung TV's that support the front end are a great way to go. Even better is if you get the type that also act as an RVU for DirecTV clients as part of their WH DVR solution. I'd really like to replace all 6 of my other televisions with those, it'll take some time, money, and convincing the wifey smile.gif; maybe I can get that if we decide to build a new home in the next year.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

I also own a newer Samsung 40" LED TV in the master bedroom and a Samsung Home Theater in a Box (that also has SmartHub) in the family room....both have the Plex Client installed (the Liaka version). The HTinB is hard wired and the TV is connected via WiFi...I have had no issues with Plex on either unit, also connecting to the Plex Server on a Synology DS 1812+. Although the majority of my video content is in h.264 mp4 format, I do have a few items that are in mkv format and I haven't had an issue streaming that content to either Plex Client. I'd say if you're running Plex on the backend, then Samsung TV's that support the front end are a great way to go. Even better is if you get the type that also act as an RVU for DirecTV clients as part of their WH DVR solution. I'd really like to replace all 6 of my other televisions with those, it'll take some time, money, and convincing the wifey smile.gif; maybe I can get that if we decide to build a new home in the next year.

Is the Liaka version any different from the one in the Samsung Smart Hub? We have a 32" F5500 in the bedroom. There are a few bluray MKV rips were we have issue with the audio. Transcoding fixes this, but I'd just as soon not transcode if I don't have to.

Looky here!
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Is the Liaka version any different from the one in the Samsung Smart Hub? We have a 32" F5500 in the bedroom. There are a few bluray MKV rips were we have issue with the audio. Transcoding fixes this, but I'd just as soon not transcode if I don't have to.

I installed the Plex client on my Samsung HTinaB (the Laika version) before there was an "official" version available for Samsung SmartHub, but on my TV I use the version you can find in their app store. I haven't had an issue with audio on bluray rips/MKVs with either device, if this is due to transcoding I'm not sure. I used to have a ReadyNAs Ultra4+ that I ran Plex on, and I had all kinds of issues with Plex on that thing; I upgraded to the Synology NAS and have had zero issues since.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMagik View Post

I installed the Plex client on my Samsung HTinaB (the Laika version) before there was an "official" version available for Samsung SmartHub, but on my TV I use the version you can find in their app store. I haven't had an issue with audio on bluray rips/MKVs with either device, if this is due to transcoding I'm not sure. I used to have a ReadyNAs Ultra4+ that I ran Plex on, and I had all kinds of issues with Plex on that thing; I upgraded to the Synology NAS and have had zero issues since.

Is your Synology trancoding? Or do you have a mac mini running plex in front of it?
post #7 of 7 Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

Is your Synology trancoding? Or do you have a mac mini running plex in front of it?

The NAS is doing the transcoding.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page