Android alternative to AirPlay? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Nexus 7 and I would like to stream audio and/or video from my tablet to my TX-NR818 over my home network. Mainly audio from the Pandora app, and audio/video from YouTube.
Is this possible? I have been looking into GoogleTV options and it isn't clear to me if it offers this capability. Is GoogleTV capable of this, and if not, is there any other hardware is?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM

Liked: 10
I'd like to know as well. I've tried BT solutions and they don't have the range I need. Something that simply connects to WiFi that my tablet can recognize and play Pandora/Google play/amazon mp3 thru to the analog inputs of a receiver...
post #3 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
For beaming videos and audio files there are several solutions. Google TV and aVia, XBMC. Try out the apps Skifta and Twonky Beam. Both work well for YouTube.

For Pandora, etc. I don't know of a solution. You're better off with a Google TV, WD HD or Squeezebox connected to your system.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
For audio/video files with no DRM and exist as files on your local network then DLNA will work, there are free DLNA controllers like Skifta and the latest nightly builds of XBMC are also DLNA controllers, the context menu has a Play Using function.

However you do need a DLNA renderer device either for audio which some high end speakers systems support or purchased as an add-on, Netgear sell powerline adapters which have a 3.5mm audio output on them, various media players and dedicated network speaker systems also have this feature.

Open source Airplay is also available via this method with some apps on Androud like DoubleTwist but it only works reliably with open source Airplay devices like XBMC & not all true Airplay devices will work.

For Youtube you need something which has the newest Youtube platform which supports beaming Youtube from a mobile device, a GoogleTV would be the safest bet for this, same goes for Google Play Movies.

For streaming music services your out of luck unless they specifically support streaming to some other device via any of the above methods.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What about Plair? www.plair.com I don't know if it will play Pandora, but their FAQ says it works with Android. Check out their FAQ.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page