Need help with CD to FLAC/MP3 Conversion Stradegy.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been lurking around; searching and reading, but still don't know how to put it all together.

I finally want to archive my CD collection and organize an MP3 collection. Id be playing my collection on an Onkyo TX-8050, a PS3, and a 4th gen Itouch. With the first two playing the MP3's through a media server. I guess my question is what is the most efficient way to go about this. RIP the cd's to FLAC then convert them to MP3's?

Itunes is the fly in ointment as it seems to recreate the whole library all over again. I could just use some advice on the best way to organize and go about this. Id like to keep things as standard as possible so WMP and the like can read the library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Onkyo,

The good news:
Invest in dbPoweramp, as it can create your FLAC and MP3 files in one fell swoop. It is also one of the most accurate and easy to use rippers available.

The bad news:
I've been fighting with integrating an iTunes library with my music library for years - I have yet to find a process that works. We no longer use our iPods because of the difficulty.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I did what Mark describes. For my cd collection I created two folders, CD archive FLAC, CD Archive MP3, and let dbPoweramp do its thing. For MP3 I selected highest quality VBR. I did this for portability, but everything supports FLAC so I haven't used the MP3s at all.

I have the same receiver and like it a lot. No bass management is my only gripe, and as with most devices that support DLNA media playback is rudimentary. This is where devices like Logitech Squeezebox come in handy. My computer is directly connected, which is beneficial, but I also use Squeezebox because it gives me my local collection and all streaming services all in one solution, controlled by a beautiful Android app. Unfortunately its been discontinued.

Logitech Media Server, foobar2000, and Plex for mobile devices are my media servers.

Onkyo has a remote app. Nothing to write home about but it's convenient. You can browse through DLNA content, access the built in streaming apps and control power and volume settings, including both zones.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks itunes seems to be the problem. I kind of figured I would need to have an archive directory of FLAC's and a "MY Music" directory of MP3's, but it really seems over the top to keep a third folder just for the itouch.

Do people with itunes really have to recreate their whole music collection just for the one device?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You could have just used iTunes and ripped the CD's direct in MP3 format, you dont need Flac copies unless your planning on using that for something else.

iTunes dumps the MP3's in a music folder and you can point any DLNA server at that and have access to them, in fact Mezzmo DLNA server actually auto scans iTunes folder.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're going through the process of ripping your collection it pays to use a lossless format as an archive. Ripping only to MP3, unless you don't particularly care, is senseless IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyoavr View Post

Thanks itunes seems to be the problem. I kind of figured I would need to have an archive directory of FLAC's and a "MY Music" directory of MP3's, but it really seems over the top to keep a third folder just for the itouch.

Do people with itunes really have to recreate their whole music collection just for the one device?

Because that one device didn't allow me to do many things I wanted to, I dropped the device and the company altogether. No more single-solution paths for me, ** flamesuit ** therefore no more Apple ** /flamesuit **.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Apple uses their own lossless codecs such as alac, ale and AAC. No iDevice can support flac. I'm trying to find a ripper that can do alac. Anyone?

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Oh I don't know, maybe dbPoweramp? biggrin.gif

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List