Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
I purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-57 in Jan of 2012. For the first 8 months of ownership I was able to setup my network settings to see my upstairs Home Media Server. Everything worked perfectly... then one day it just stopped.

I've been about 8 months now without the ability to stream media from my phone or Home Media Server to my AVR, which is one of the primary reasons for purchasing the AVR in the first place. Oh yeah, my daughter has an Airplay enabled MAC and she can no longer use airplay either.

Here are a few detail in regards to my setup:
  • Pioneer Elite SC-57 (DLNA Compliant) - LAN Line hooked directly from Router to AVR
  • Verizon FIOS Internet Service
  • Gateway Desktop PC with Windows 7 - Wireless Connection from Router to Desktop
  • Windows Media Player 12 (I think?)

I've tried everything that I could think of over the past 8 months to get everything to play nice:
  • Called Pioneer Tech Support (worthless)
  • Called FIOS Tech Support (worthless)
  • Inquired about this issue on the dedicated SC-55/57 AVS thread (no help)
  • Went through network security settings and totally disabled firewall (nothing)
  • Setup and resetup WMP Homegroup (nothing)
  • Reset router multiple times (nothing)
  • Checked all cable connections to cancel out the obvious (nothing)
  • Went through the trouble shooting tips in the AVR manual (nothing)
  • Ensured sharing (public and local) are enabled in WMP
  • Ensured remote control of WMP was enabled

One of the trouble shooting tips was to make sure the DHCP was active on my router. When I plug the LAN line into my AVR, It assigns a IP address and shows a MAC address, but I still can't see the servers on my network like I could several months ago.

I believe I have isolated the issue to the AVR itself, because when I enable Allshare I can stream media to my upstairs PC and also have the ability to stream media from my PC to my phone. When my AVR was fully functional, I was able to stream media from my phone to the AVR through my Allshare app. I could also access my PC WMP through Allshare and stream music directly from my PC to my AVR.

I've learned a lot over the past few months about all things network, but I'm still not able to fix the issue. With that said, I'm at my whits end and will be calling in the Geek Squad to come check on the issue. Don't worry, It's a free one time service for "premiere silver" members.

When they come out and "IF" they can fix the issue I will report back here. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any, but I really I just wanted start this thread so I can document a detailed solution that I can reference in the future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reserved for the freakin solution.

post #3 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Sounds like it's the avr. Can you ping the Yamaha's address from somewhere else? Is there a link light? Can you get into the router and see the Yamaha in a DHCP lease table? There should also be a routing table, see if there are any entries to or from the receiver.

If it were me I'd just get the receiver in for repair.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Sounds like it's the avr. Can you ping the Yamaha's address from somewhere else? Is there a link light? Can you get into the router and see the Yamaha in a DHCP lease table? There should also be a routing table, see if there are any entries to or from the receiver.

If it were me I'd just get the receiver in for repair.

Ughhhh... Sending it off would suck hard. I don't understand how it could just break?

BTW, not sure I mentioned this in my original post, but I do have access to internet radio. So it is getting an internet connection, just not seeing Allshare or my Media Server...

I'm not expecting the Geek Squad to work miracles, but given they SHOULD know more about networking than I do, maybe they can ping the AVR and test the other items you mention above.

post #5 of 24 Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You reset your router "several times" but did you try a factory reset on the AVR?

1. Go into your AVR's setup menu and copy down any settings that you want to keep because they will be wiped out. I find the easiest way is to whip out your camera phone and snap a pic of each menu page.

2. Unplug all external devices & ethernet (you can leave speakers connected).

3. Turn the receiver ON.

4. Hold down your receiver's "Enter" button and the "On/Standby" button simultaneously until "Reset" and "No" appears on your display.

5. Make the display say "Reset" and "Yes" by pressing your "Preset" arrow buttons. Press "Enter" on your front panel and your settings will be reset.

This type of problem is more common than it should be but the reset usually takes care of it.

P.S. I work for GS so if I can save a coworker one trip to your house it's a bonus.

post #6 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

You reset your router "several times" but did you try a factory reset on the AVR?

1. Go into your AVR's setup menu and copy down any settings that you want to keep because they will be wiped out. I find the easiest way is to whip out your camera phone and snap a pic of each menu page.

2. Unplug all external devices & ethernet (you can leave speakers connected).

3. Turn the receiver ON.

4. Hold down your receiver's "Enter" button and the "On/Standby" button simultaneously until "Reset" and "No" appears on your display.

5. Make the display say "Reset" and "Yes" by pressing your "Preset" arrow buttons. Press "Enter" on your front panel and your settings will be reset.

This type of problem is more common than it should be but the reset usually takes care of it.

P.S. I work for GS so if I can save a coworker one trip to your house it's a bonus.

I will give this specific step-by-step approach a try tonight. My bad for not responding or giving this a try earlier. I actually never ended up calling the geek squad out. I missed the opportunity and the promotional offer.

post #7 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got distracted with playing with my new subs and I let my pride get in the way (thinking I could figure it out myself). I finally reached a point a few weeks back where I just threw my hands up and sent it off for service under warranty. I got it back from warranty on Friday and they said it was 100% fully functional with no issues.

Get this... I hooked it up to my home network last night.... Still getting the same results. This really really sucks. My wife gives me enough $hit as much time as I spend on doing stuff I enjoy with this hobby. Issues like this, when I have to spend hours upon hours upon hours trying to trouble shoot WTF is wrong with a piece of gear really detracts from my love of this hobby and makes me want to throw my AVR off of a building.

I'm starting to hate Pioneer, FIOS, Microsoft (Firewall, Windows, Etc...) and anyone else that has anything to do with my home network...

post #8 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Try setting a static IP on the device if it allows such a thing, not at the router level but on the device itself & set the IP outside the range of the DHCP server ( e.g 192.168.1.2 to 192.1.68.1.56 so set IP as 192.168.1.57), if nothing changes then try setting it within the the range of the DHCP server

Your router also needs UPnP enabled on it and if the option is available IGMP multicast enabled for DLNA DMC to work, thats what Windows calls Play To, Airplay is also reliant on proper function of IGMP multicast. A firmware update to router could have changed or broken something, testing with another if the option is available is recommended.

Check that the device does not appear to any DLNA controller, get Skifta on iOS/Android app store and see if it appears as a target playback device, if it does then it's a problem with Windows DLNA.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I wasted about 4 hours yesterday looking into the issue.

Found this related issue, which never saw resolution...
http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1619677-server-error-pioneer-receiver.html

Here is a video from Pioneer talking about music streaming and airplay. About 0:58 into the video the gentleman starts to talk about the DLNA certification and at 1:03 in the video there is a screen shot of what I USED to be able to see when I was able to stream music from my home PC... Looks so easy! Just plug and play...

Also found this video of Andrew Murphy showing off the Airplay and network capability of one of the Elite AVR's.

See, I'm able to control my AVR from the IControlAV2 app... I'm able to get internet radio... Just not able to stream music from my home PC to my AVR anymore... It's mind boggling to me.

BTW, if I didn't make it clear already. My AVR and my DVD player are the only two pieces of gear physically connected to my router. Everything else is wireless. Why is my Elite AVR the only DLNA certified product NOT showing up on my network? Why can I stream music from my PC to my phone and visa versa using AllShare? Even all of my TV's are shown on my network and allow me to stream music/video directly to them.

If Dropkick's step-by-step instructions above doesn't address my issue, I am going to schedule an appointment with the Geek Squad and physically take a leave of absence from work so I can hover over the tech to watch him figure out the problem.

Beyond frustrating. I hate to point fingers, as I'm sure when the issue is resolved it will point back to user error, but man... I'm going to have a hard time recommending Pioneer to anyone.

post #10 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Everthing was working fine and next thing I know the airplay wouldn't work nor anything that had to do with networking worked.

I have the Pioneer SC-1522k. The icontrol app would just give me an error. The solution. Turn on the AVR, but hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. The AVR will turn off and reset. Turn on the AVR go to network settings and see if it has an IP address. If it does test airplay and everything else. This worked for me.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Theater Set Up:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Everthing was working fine and next thing I know the airplay wouldn't work nor anything that had to do with networking worked.

I have the Pioneer SC-1522k. The icontrol app would just give me an error. The solution. Turn on the AVR, but hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. The AVR will turn off and reset. Turn on the AVR go to network settings and see if it has an IP address. If it does test airplay and everything else. This worked for me.

Ha... I would be so lucky.

The AVR has no issue assigning an IP address through the "DHCP" function of my router. <
Is that the correct terminology?

post #12 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I don't believe the problem is with the AVR since it is obviously connected to the network and has internet access via its radio service. I would most certainly suspect WMP (or any other Microsoft provided DLNA server) and that Allshare program you mention. Presumably that's Samsung's Allshare proprietary media enabling software? If it is then DON'T rely on it to behave very well with non-Samsung devices as I would not expect its DLNA support to be up to scratch (it's main function is to communicate with Samsung devices, via it's own private non-DLNA method, after all).

To test if your Pioneer AVR can still communicate with a DLNA server, try installing one of the decent reliable media servers, such as the free version of Serviio, preferably on a (different) pc/laptop that hasn't got Allshare installed on it (to isolate from potential conflicts), if you can. Instead of Serviio, which is an all media server, you can also try a good free music only UPnP/DLNA server such as MinimServer or even the Foobar2000 music player with its free foo_UPnP plugin. Just using the default settings on any of these servers when you install & set it up to access the folders containing your media files, should be enough to get them to be seen by the Pioneer AVR, if it's behaving itself.

If you cannot test on another pc/laptop, then try the test on the same pc, but if the AVR cannot see the new DLNA server it's still not proof of the AVR being at fault. However, if it does work, then it's certainly shows a problem with your existing media servers! BTW, the footprints of the servers I've suggested are quite small, so should not have much of an impact if you choose to run one along side your existing servers on the same pc.

An alternate device to run a DLNA server on would be an Android one - is the IControlAV2 app you mention running on Android? If so you should be able to install Skifta (as Alx330 also suggests) whose main function is a DLNA controller, but it also runs a media server on the device in the background that automatically looks for media files stored on you Android device. Another such UPnP/DLNA app is BubbleUPnP. Again, if the Pioneer AVR is able to see DLNA servers on the network, it should be able to connect to these servers run by the Android apps.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebolla View Post

I don't believe the problem is with the AVR since it is obviously connected to the network and has internet access via its radio service. I would most certainly suspect WMP (or any other Microsoft provided DLNA server) and that Allshare program you mention. Presumably that's Samsung's Allshare proprietary media enabling software? If it is then DON'T rely on it to behave very well with non-Samsung devices as I would not expect its DLNA support to be up to scratch (it's main function is to communicate with Samsung devices, via it's own private non-DLNA method, after all).

To test if your Pioneer AVR can still communicate with a DLNA server, try installing one of the decent reliable media servers, such as the free version of Serviio, preferably on a (different) pc/laptop that hasn't got Allshare installed on it (to isolate from potential conflicts), if you can. Instead of Serviio, which is an all media server, you can also try a good free music only UPnP/DLNA server such as MinimServer or even the Foobar2000 music player with its free foo_UPnP plugin. Just using the default settings on any of these servers when you install & set it up to access the folders containing your media files, should be enough to get them to be seen by the Pioneer AVR, if it's behaving itself.

If you cannot test on another pc/laptop, then try the test on the same pc, but if the AVR cannot see the new DLNA server it's still not proof of the AVR being at fault. However, if it does work, then it's certainly shows a problem with your existing media servers! BTW, the footprints of the servers I've suggested are quite small, so should not have much of an impact if you choose to run one along side your existing servers on the same pc.

An alternate device to run a DLNA server on would be an Android one - is the IControlAV2 app you mention running on Android? If so you should be able to install Skifta (as Alx330 also suggests) whose main function is a DLNA controller, but it also runs a media server on the device in the background that automatically looks for media files stored on you Android device. Another such UPnP/DLNA app is BubbleUPnP. Again, if the Pioneer AVR is able to see DLNA servers on the network, it should be able to connect to these servers run by the Android apps.

Thanks for your response Cebolla. I will try to take the time tonight to digest your input and give this a shot.

I can tell you right now, that I used to be able to control my home PC media server through my ALLSHARE application on my Samsung Galaxy S II andriod phone.

That's really the main capability I want back...being able to control the music from my phone to my AVR or even from my home PC through my AVR using my phone...

I can control music through my phone to my PC and other other devices on my network, but the Elite is no where to be found on the network. It's not showing up...

I've been able to ping my AVR using the CMD prompt and it indicates that packets are sent/received successfully, but I just simply can't find it on my network... WTH?

post #14 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 PM

So it's your phone that's the Samsung device, I assumed it was the TV! No problem, at least you've got an Android device to play with and it should be no problem installing the BubbleUPnP app (free version for now) on it from the Play store.

If you run BubbleUPnP and go to Devices option you should see the SC-57 listed as one of the Renderers on your network (if its working under DLNA that is). The Libraries section lists all the DLNA servers available on the network, which should include the ones running on the PC (if they are working under DLNA), as well as the Local Media Server (which is the BubbleUPnP's own local server for media files stored on your phone). Hopefully the SC-57 is there and you are able to select it. If you also select one of the servers and then go to the Library option, you should now be able to select music tracks from the appropriate folder in order to add them to the playlist (the free version limits the playlist to 16 tracks). Go to the Playlist option to see all the files in the playlist and go to the Now Playing option to control the playback of the playlist's current track. If the AVR is connected properly via DLNA, it should now be able to be controlled by BubbleUPnP to play the tracks on the playlist from the selected server.

With the BubbleUPnP app still running on the phone, you should also be able to see its Local Media Server as a standard DLNA Server in the Home Media Gallery of the SC-57 and be able to select and play its file contents by using the Pioneer's remote / buttons on the box or the Pioneer iControlAV2 app (making sure to keep the BubbleUPnP app's DLNA server running in the background by switching out via the home button in order to run the IControlAV2 app on the same phone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I can control music through my phone to my PC and other other devices on my network, but the Elite is no where to be found on the network. It's not showing up...

I've been able to ping my AVR using the CMD prompt and it indicates that packets are sent/received successfully, but I just simply can't find it on my network... WTH?
I assume by not being able to see the AVR, you are referring to when you are using the Samsung Allshare system, which hopefully is where the actual fault lies. It should be there if you use a fully compliant DLNA controller, like the BubbleUPnP app.

I'd expect you to be able to ping the Pioneer as that just proves it is physically connected to the network and can properly send/receive low level data packets. The fact that the Pioneer iControlAV2 app on your phone can see & control the AVR and the AVR can access its internet radio also tells me that and much more!
post #15 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will give this specific step-by-step approach a try tonight. My bad for not responding or giving this a try earlier. I actually never ended up calling the geek squad out. I missed the opportunity and the promotional offer.
Nothing... No results.

post #16 of 24 Old 06-24-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So it's your phone that's the Samsung device, I assumed it was the TV! No problem, at least you've got an Android device to play with and it should be no problem installing the BubbleUPnP app (free version for now) on it from the Play store.

App downloaded.

Quote:

If you run BubbleUPnP and go to Devices option you should see the SC-57 listed as one of the Renderers on your network (if its working under DLNA that is). The Libraries section lists all the DLNA servers available on the network, which should include the ones running on the PC (if they are working under DLNA), as well as the Local Media Server (which is the BubbleUPnP's own local server for media files stored on your phone). Hopefully the SC-57 is there and you are able to select it. If you also select one of the servers and then go to the Library option, you should now be able to select music tracks from the appropriate folder in order to add them to the playlist (the free version limits the playlist to 16 tracks). Go to the Playlist option to see all the files in the playlist and go to the Now Playing option to control the playback of the playlist's current track. If the AVR is connected properly via DLNA, it should now be able to be controlled by BubbleUPnP to play the tracks on the playlist from the selected server.

Nothing...no Elite listed as a Renderer.

Quote:

With the BubbleUPnP app still running on the phone, you should also be able to see its Local Media Server as a standard DLNA Server in the Home Media Gallery of the SC-57 and be able to select and play its file contents by using the Pioneer's remote / buttons on the box or the Pioneer iControlAV2 app (making sure to keep the BubbleUPnP app's DLNA server running in the background by switching out via the home button in order to run the IControlAV2 app on the same phone).

Nope... here is a screen shot of the iControlAV2 app... Not showing up.

Quote:

I assume by not being able to see the AVR, you are referring to when you are using the Samsung Allshare system, which hopefully is where the actual fault lies. It should be there if you use a fully compliant DLNA controller, like the BubbleUPnP app.

When everything was working right, the AllShare saw the AVR and the AVR saw the home network. Now... Nothing.

Quote:

I'd expect you to be able to ping the Pioneer as that just proves it is physically connected to the network and can properly send/receive low level data packets. The fact that the Pioneer iControlAV2 app on your phone can see & control the AVR and the AVR can access its internet radio also tells me that and much more!

Yeah, what exactly does that mean though? I just feels like the AVR playing some kind of messed up joke on me... Ridiculous.

post #17 of 24 Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 AM

Ok, looks like my original thoughts were wrong, which were based mainly on thinking that the AVR was checked ok under warranty service and the most likely cause of DLNA discovery problems possibly then being with Allshare (& the simplest to sort out), given that it was all working at one time. Your tests have actually proved useful in eliminating a potential problem, so it's not been a waste of time (though I'm sure it seems like it!). I still think you should trust the Pioneer techs and go with the AVR behaving as it should, at least for now.

So, following this reasoning and as the AVR can be pinged from a device that it cannot connect to for DLNA streaming, the problem must lie specifically in the network handling of the UPnP/DLNA data and that points to your router. I have noticed that any DLNA streaming that's still working all seems to be wireless based. You've also said that the AVR and a DVD player are the only devices connected to the router by wire. Alx330 mentioned that your router needs to support multicast in order for UPnP/DLNA (& Airplay) to work and this must be so, at least on the wireless part of the network, since DLNA is working here. However, may be there's a problem with your router's handling of multicast between the wireless & wired portions of the network or within wired side itself. Your ping test only shows good unicast connection between wired & wireless, not multicast.

Here's a few more tests to try, if you can. I've seen that your TV has appeared as a DLNA renderer in BubbleUPnP. If my interpretaion of the info given is correct, then the TV should currently be connected wirelessly to the network. The test would be to disconnect its wireless connection and connect it to the network by wire, if you can, to see if the TV still appears as a DLNA renderer in the BubbleUPnP app. If this is not possible and/or as an extra test, try doing the same thing with the 'AUSTINS_LAPTOP' laptop, since this has a DLNA server and see if it still appears on the BubbleUPnP app. Following this, another test would be to try to see if the laptop's server has now appeared on the AVR's home media gallery. If it has, see if you can now select a music file to stream from the laptop to the AVR.

Good luck!

BTW, what is your router and is it one supplied & maintained by your ISP?
post #18 of 24 Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:

the problem must lie specifically in the network handling of the UPnP/DLNA data and that points to your router. I have noticed that any DLNA streaming that's still working all seems to be wireless based. You've also said that the AVR and a DVD player are the only devices connected to the router by wire. Alx330 mentioned that your router needs to support multicast in order for UPnP/DLNA (& Airplay) to work and this must be so, at least on the wireless part of the network, since DLNA is working here. However, may be there's a problem with your router's handling of multicast between the wireless & wired portions of the network or within wired side itself. Your ping test only shows good unicast connection between wired & wireless, not multicast.
BTW, what is your router and is it one supplied & maintained by your ISP?
popalock, I think my second shot at working out what's going on may be correct, especially if your router is the Verizon supplied actiontec MI424WR. A quick google search of my suspicions has come up with a lot of relevant info, eg, have a look at these topics from the Verizon FIOS internet community forum:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/DLNA-Not-working-on-MI424WR-Rev-I-IOS-4-19-36-Petition/td-p/508235
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Communication-between-wired-and-wireless-network-on-actiontec/td-p/461359
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-MI424WR-Rev-F-wired-vs-wired-network-conflict/m-p/460261#M30541

Shocking to see the problem goes back to at least last July!
post #19 of 24 Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks again for helping me out. I'm usually on AVS using my cell 90% of the time. So anytime a well thoughtout response is merited, I find it difficult to make the time to respond.

I will say that I read the forum of the first link you provided me and I got excited that you may have found the solution for me! My excitement was quickly snubbed when I attempted to use the link provided on the forum to "jump" to the IGMP proxy page, only to find that I needed a user name and password... I followed that with spending over an hour on the phone with Verizon in at attempt to obtain a my username and password.

I tried my the following:

Username and password to my actual Verizon account. (Verified that it worked by signing into my Verizon account previously)
Username: "admin" Password: Network WEP Key
Username: "network name" Password: Network WEP Key
Username: "Verizon Account" Password: Network WEP Key

It was pretty frustrating feeling like I got so close only to get shutdown again.

By the end of the conversation with the Verizon tech guy, I was ready to cancel my service.

I understand I'm frustrated by my own ignorance of the subject, but I still feel as though this should not be an issue...now or ever...

post #20 of 24 Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh, and I didn't get a chance to plug my landline into my laptop to test the hardwired vs wireless connection. It's on my radar tonight though, if I can beat the wife home!

post #21 of 24 Old 06-27-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:

I followed that with spending over an hour on the phone with Verizon in at attempt to obtain a my username and password.

I tried my the following:

Username and password to my actual Verizon account. (Verified that it worked by signing into my Verizon account previously)
Username: "admin" Password: Network WEP Key
Username: "network name" Password: Network WEP Key
Username: "Verizon Account" Password: Network WEP Key
This thread is certainly not a good advert for Verizon support. Hope that call was toll free!

Since you don't appear to have changed the box's original password, it's probably the default one, which in my experience of ISP supplied ones, is on the flip side of the box (use the serial number perhaps, if there's no obvious one). User name may be 'admin' or verizon account. I know with some routers the user name is case sensitive - so watch out for that too. I very much doubt if your WEP key or network name has anything to do with it, as those should have been something set up personally by you.

Still amazed at the complete lack of support - what sort of guys do they hire at Verizon?
post #22 of 24 Old 06-27-2013, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You know, I've always tried to be conservative about complaining about an issue when I do not have a clear understanding of the root cause, but the tech I was talking too clearly didn't have the technical aptitude to help my situation.

I was trying to convey my issue as clearly as I possibly could, but as soon as he told me he had never heard of the IGMP proxy, muchless how to reset it, I knew I was wasting my time. At that point all I was asking from him was a way to gain access to the "jump."

I asked him if I could email the link to show him what/where I was talking about... Nope.

By the end of the conversation he was finally like, "Sir, I'm not even sure you are allowed access to what you are describing." That's when I lost my cool and pretty much told him that I could give a flying proxy about having access to anything...All I want is for my system to operate correctly.

Do you think it would be in my best interest to just go out and buy a really nice router vs using the FIOS supplied product? Would that fix the issue? Would that potentially increase my transfer/streaming/download speeds as well?

At this point I would be down for that... Thoughts?

post #23 of 24 Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM

My instinct would be to stick with what you're familar with, by doing this (hopefully) simple 'IGMP proxy fix', at least in the short term. You just don't know what configuration nightmares you might be setting yourself up for if you suddenly go and buy a more 'decent' router, which admittedly is very unlikely to have this odd wired to/from wireless problem. As I'm not familiar with Verizon FIOS, I don't think I'm in a position to advise as to whether you'd get any performance improvements using a different router. Your best bet would be to search for info and/or post these questions on the Verizon FIOS forum as that at least seems to be quite active and therefore well supported (if not personally by Verizon!). Talking of which I've found this topic on the same site with regards to the default login/password on the router:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Login-to-Actiontec-MI424WR-Router/td-p/306725
post #24 of 24 Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bam!

SC20130627-214300_zpsc6659f35.png

I'm going to make the time to translate all of this into a step by step process in the second post to ensure it helps out others.

Big shout put to Cebolla for all of the help.

I think the most frustrating thing about this entire ordeal is that I simply did not know what question to ask. I spent probably 40+ hours over the course of 8 months dealing with Pioneer tech support, FIOS tech support and performing my own independent research.

You know what, maybe I did know the right question to ask, but finding the answer was way harder than it should have been...

8+ months without streaming media and the fix literally took 90 seconds. Ridiculous!

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page