post #1 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Current equipment:

Yamaha RX-673 AVR 5.1 AVR.
Home network with 2 Win 7 PC's.
Kindle HD and several smartphones(android) and an iphone 3.
60" Vizio Smart TV.

Wife wants to start ripping CD's. Currently have a bunch of MP3's that stream fairly well with Airplay and thru the 673.
What is the best way to get started with lossless. I am a total newb in this area but I have heard of FLAC and other lossless types.

What programs are available free to get my feet wet? Ease of use would be a priority.
Wife also wants to be able to take the music with her to play on her Kindle HD. FLAC isn't listed but I read somewhere it would play them? I assume FLAC files take too much space to be a good solution for Kindle....MP3's the best option there?

I'm sure these questions have been asked over and over....I thank you all in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 22
There are more ripping programs out there than I could hope to count, much less try. My ripper of choice is called abcde and is just a BASH shell script that acts as a front end for other software. I run mine on Linux, so it's easy for me. You could install Cygwin on Windows and use it there with a little tweaking. The thing that makes abcde tops for me is that it uses the cdparanoia library to ensure "perfect rips or nothing", which is important because I want bit-perfect copies of my music, and am willing to clean (or replace) a CD until it's 100% correct. You may want to start with something easier. I don't have anything to recommend, but I'm sure others will.

One good thing about FLAC is that it keeps a top quality rip of your music, without any lossy compression. It also stores metadata, which simple WAV files do not do. I save everything to FLAC, and then to a compressed format for portable music players. MP3 is getting long in the tooth. You can use it if you're not too fussy about the quality of the sound. If you use an online music storage service, this will be your only choice. Personally I use Vorbis (a.k.a. "Ogg Vorbis") encoding for my compressed music files. Some of my friends swear by AAC. Whatever makes you happy.

Just jump in and start ripping. Learn as you go.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Wader,

Although it is not free ($39), dBpoweramp is considered one of the easiest to use. It also excels in preforming bit-perfect rips. But the most useful feature for you might be that it can rip to multiple formats at the same time - Like FLAC for your Androids and MP3 for your iPhone.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
I have heard much good about dBpoweramp. Looks like there is a 21 day free trial so I may try it out.
WinAmp is free...is it a decent solution?

I am currently using WMP (it was there-grin) for a server.
What are the alternative freeware programs?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 22
Here's a list of FOSS CD ripping tools from SourceForge.

InfraRecorder is a must-have free CD burner. Not all of the programs rip, and some aren't for Windows. That's the best I can do quickly.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page