Would Someone Mind Giving My Ripping Methodology A Look Before I Waste A Few Months Of My Life?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Pretty straightforward, I think:

Simply using makemkv to make rips of the main title and hopefully- just the forced subtitles. That's it. I don't really need or want menus- but I'd like to be able to skip chapter using F> and

Basically some questions:

1. When I open a BD with Makemkv I (sometimes) see about a bazillion "titles". Now, I'm assuming this is because some have bonus material: directors cuts, deleted scenes, etc. Still, there sure seems to be a lot of them, even with the aforementioned considered. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing what's what, so to speak, correct? I mean when I get (2) files around 23 and 25 gigs, it's obvious both will contain the main title, but what's with the 2 additional gigs?

Would this be for titles with a "theatrical" and "extended" cut...or the "branched" titles?

But let's say there's a bunch of bonus material and I may want one piece, I cannot really tell where it "is" other than perhaps my best guess considering its length/resolution and resultant file size vs the other material? Please let me know if I'm on the right track, please. This operates under the assumption of course that all the other smaller sized titles are simple previews and bonus content.

2. Now if I DO select more content, is it simply added onto the main feature (seamlessly?)...or will it appear before...what is the determining factor? Or does it create a new file altogether...I haven't tried it yet.

3. There seems to be a jpeg within some of the bds that pops up. I'm assuming this is cover art??? I click on them to be included on the rip figuring it can't hurt, but most jukeboxes will find these immediately and simply insert IMDB title info anyway, correct?

4. Is there anything I should be doing to "help" jukeboxes do their thing...naming files, folders, etc?

5. Are mkv rips indeed identical to BDs in quality?

6. I have discovered that my WDTV will NOT skip chapter to chapter...but most SMP's WILL, correct, with my files simply ripped to MKV's as I am?

Sorry for the volume, if there's a dedicated avs MKV rip thread please let me know, I didn't find one with google.

Any other tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

thanks!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 209
1) Usually someone else has figured out which title is correct. Google 'your-movie-title' Make MKV to find out which one.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Cool, thanks. That's a good start- although I haven't had much luck with the first three titles I randomly grabbed.

James

post #4 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 58
When dealing with title with multiple playlists sometimes you will need to look at the differences in the playlist and ultimately play the M2TS file direct from the disk to figure out the correct playlist, Disney with their multiple written languages is the biggest one I can think of where you may grab the wrong playlist and end up with Spanish on screen instead of English.

I recently started using Clown_BD, I used it for GoT season 2, and I am VERY happy with it, I tried previously and wasn't satisfied but I am blaming user error redface.gif

Bill
post #5 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I guess I'm a bit surprised that these titles are not clearly ID'd one of way or the other just as tracks on a CD, but perhaps the MPAA simply is not interested in assisting anyone, lol.

Here's an interesting one: the Karate Kid has(2) titles, identical in size at 36.9 GIGs (largest file I've seen yet BTW, and of a120 minute film, no less) but one with 16 chapters and one with 49!

James

post #6 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

For that I would look for the first difference in the playlists and then go to the disk and play the two different M2TS files, you should quickly be able to tell which playlist is good and which likely has extra features running with it, like stuff that pops up on the screen.

Bill
post #7 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You can also use DVDFab to rip the main movie to a folder and then use MakeMKV to create the MKV. DVDFab does a great job pulling out the main movie, I've only had one out of a few hundred that it selected the wrong language video on a Disney movie. I say wrong language video because the credits/title were in another language, otherwise it was fine. Since it will already be decrypted MakeMKV doesn't take as long, you just need to point it to the index.bdmv file of the folder and then choose from the very shortened list what you want to include such as lossless audio and subtitles. I do forced subs in another few steps as I wasn't impressed with MakeMKV's abilities in the few that I tried.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Ok, this is where I get confused and I'm sure I'm the one who is wrong as too many intelligent people are doing this and I just don't understand the benefit that is great enough to justify the extra step:

So the big benefit of DVDfab is that you're all-but guaranteed to grab the "correct" title? Gulp...I never thought I had to legitimately fear scooping the wrong one with makemkv. I figured the first would almost certainly be the main/english for my discs purchased in the US. Guess I better check.

It sounds the readily decrypted file isn't a big deal to run through makemkv and that's all this comes down to, then: virtually zero risk of ripping the wrong file?

thanks a lot guys...

James

post #9 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's usually pretty easy to find the right file by just playing it in VLC. For discs with obfuscation AnyDVD can usually pull the correct stream.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #10 of 18 Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

I had forgotten about AnyDVD's Speed menu option.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

It's usually pretty easy to find the right file by just playing it in VLC. For discs with obfuscation AnyDVD can usually pull the correct stream.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

For that I would look for the first difference in the playlists and then go to the disk and play the two different M2TS files, you should quickly be able to tell which playlist is good and which likely has extra features running with it, like stuff that pops up on the screen.

Bill

Well I'm going to have to be more mindful of this as I played back "Big" yesterday and while it was obviously the "uncut" version (which contained completely justifiable "cuts" BTW wink.gif ) - which would have been ok- but the cut scenes were inserted at the end and other odd places where they didn't belong...extremely strange.

MY problem is that I do most of ripping at work and right now I'm having a HELLUVA time getting my Sony VAIO BD drive to simply read the discs due to the Corel WINDVD software simply refusing to update its AACS key. I have tried everything and followed all of their ridiculous "steps". VLC will not play the disc from the drive either...I get an error message every time.

I've NEVER encountered such abysmal "customer support" and an insanely convoluted "registration" process like I have with Corel/WinDVD. Simply unbelievable.

James

post #12 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Well I'm going to have to be more mindful of this as I played back "Big" yesterday and while it was obviously the "uncut" version (which contained completely justifiable "cuts" BTW wink.gif ) - which would have been ok- but the cut scenes were inserted at the end and other odd places where they didn't belong...extremely strange.

MY problem is that I do most of ripping at work and right now I'm having a HELLUVA time getting my Sony VAIO BD drive to simply read the discs due to the Corel WINDVD software simply refusing to update its AACS key. I have tried everything and followed all of their ridiculous "steps". VLC will not play the disc from the drive either...I get an error message every time.

I've NEVER encountered such abysmal "customer support" and an insanely convoluted "registration" process like I have with Corel/WinDVD. Simply unbelievable.

James

AnyDVD HD is your friend.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ Yeah I'm half way through my trial of ANYDVD and I continue to amaze myself with my sheer ineptitude when it comes to this stuff...read on if you dare...

So ANYDVD isn't "really" ripping software (although it appears you can if you really want to from some online posts I found)? Good thing, cause I can't figure out how to rip a BD from my drive with it to save 100 starving children.

If it's simply removing protection to allow you to place the contents of said disc on an HDD (or playback elsewhere, I suppose), where does it serve any advantage over makemkv which does the same?

If someone could point out the advantages of using this program in combination with another (like Clown or Clone BD?) it would REALLY help me out. I simply do not comprehend where the time or content benefits come from over simply ensuring you're ripping the main title with makemkv.

I'm really just being honest, here. I simply could not even tell you what I'd be using anydvd for at this point.

thanks guys,

James

post #14 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
MakeMKV is great. I use it for mkv's and DVDfab for ISO rips. Everything is ripped to mkv, my blu-rays also get preferential treatment to be archived as ISO.

One thing that can help weed out the selection before a rip is to change makemkv settings. Under Settings/Video at the bottom of the screen, set the minimum title length to 1800. This will make it ignore anything less than 30 minutes long. Anything that's left over is likely to be the main movie. Some disks will have theatrical and extended cut releases, this is where I use Google to find out the difference, and almost always keep the extended cut. For subtitles, make sure in settings you select English as your preferred language, this will prevent any other languages to be selected for the final rip. Last, expand on the trees just before the rip and select only the subtitles you want (I keep English and Forced subtitles).

Good luck!

post #15 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Ripping BD: ClownBD + AnyDVD HD to BR Folder structure with HD Sound, AC3 sound track and subs.

Ripping DVD: MakeMKV

Ripping TV Shows: MakeMKV

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #16 of 18 Old 05-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ Yeah I'm half way through my trial of ANYDVD and I continue to amaze myself with my sheer ineptitude when it comes to this stuff...read on if you dare...

So ANYDVD isn't "really" ripping software (although it appears you can if you really want to from some online posts I found)? Good thing, cause I can't figure out how to rip a BD from my drive with it to save 100 starving children.

If it's simply removing protection to allow you to place the contents of said disc on an HDD (or playback elsewhere, I suppose), where does it serve any advantage over makemkv which does the same?

If someone could point out the advantages of using this program in combination with another (like Clown or Clone BD?) it would REALLY help me out. I simply do not comprehend where the time or content benefits come from over simply ensuring you're ripping the main title with makemkv.

I'm really just being honest, here. I simply could not even tell you what I'd be using anydvd for at this point.

thanks guys,

James

AnyDVD HD will rip to .iso or folder structure by right clicking on the little fox in the systray. In my experience it provides better detail about the encryption and it's updated much quicker. I rip both DVD and BD to folder structure with AnyDVD HD. I then encode with Handbrake to mp4 which takes care of subtitles and everything. I found using MakeMKV to decrypt and rip problematic as the mpeg2/4 mkv to h.264 mp4 was about twice as slow as straight from disc or folder structure.

post #17 of 18 Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

AnyDVD HD will rip to .iso or folder structure by right clicking on the little fox in the systray. In my experience it provides better detail about the encryption and it's updated much quicker. I rip both DVD and BD to folder structure with AnyDVD HD. I then encode with Handbrake to mp4 which takes care of subtitles and everything. I found using MakeMKV to decrypt and rip problematic as the mpeg2/4 mkv to h.264 mp4 was about twice as slow as straight from disc or folder structure.
Was just going to post the very same info. I know a lot of people have good luck with MAKEMKV, but I am not one of them. I always seem to have issues, noticeably lip sync issues. It is far far easier to just rip a disc as an ISO and call it a day..
post #18 of 18 Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I use DVDFab's HD Decrypter (free) to rip (usually the main movie only for any movie but the full disk for a TV show) and then Handbrake to convert to MKV. I started off using MakeMKV but it kept crashing my laptop and that's when I started using Fab instead. Works great for me and the only thing I haven't figured out yet is what to do with TrueHD and LPCM audio streams since Handbrake can't pass those through. Not really a big problem since the vast majority of what I rip is DTS-HD / DTS / AC3 but since I prefer to save all audio tracks as is I would like to find an alternative to Handbrake that can handle those too.

When in doubt though, I'd suggest ripping more than what you need. I started off with a DLNA player that would only play a single audio track and no HD audio so I would only include a single, non-HD track when I ripped and then when I upgraded to an HTPC I had to go back and re-rip everything to get all that missing audio. So same thing with subtitles and all those video extras. If you think you might ever want to watch them be sure to include them in your rips now even if the MKV file you save for playback for now is just the main movie title. Although I'm not sure how those save exactly if you're using MakeMKV only since when I was using it I was doing only the main movie title.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page